VFR was backed into by minivan parked on side stand.

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by nic579, Sep 6, 2016.

1. nic579

nic579 New Member

After being struck in the front wheel somehow the bike did not go down and was hanging on its bent and loosened side stand. Kick bar is bent bolts seemed loosened one visibly so I have to wonder if the mount boss got damaged on the frame. At the least it will be replacement of the kick bar mount plate mount bolts and special bolt and nut for the repair.

As for the forks and wheel I will have to take a close look at them before I am confident there is no damage.

Really cant believe the bike stayed up!

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Wow - bad news

What to do now depends on whether whoever damaged the bike drove off without leaving their insurance details.

If they just drove off - might be worth checking if there is any pertinent CCTV coverage to identify who did it.

If you have their insurance info - then do nothing but take photos and get the bike professionally recovered and assessed.

Sadly the frame rails of bikes are not deigned to withstand substantial side stresses - so if its been crushed by a tonne plus minivan the bent side stand will have transferred a lot of energy to the frame and the bike could be beyond economic repair.

SkiMad

3. nic579

nic579 New Member

Got their insurance and reported it to mine. I have found in the past that my insurance co putting pressure on the responsible parties gets action fastest. Forces were slow speed impact from the front wheel at full lock to the side stand "visibly bent was driven into blacktop" and rear wheel as bike was in gear.

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    The steering stops or "ears" didn't bust off the lower tree or the frame right?

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    As you have their insurance details - don't even think of trying to fix it yourself - just take photos and get it recovered and professionally examined - ideally by a Honda dealership. You pay insurance for a reason - so it's time to stand back and make them deliver.

PS As the bike was in gear, then the gearbox and drive train (shaft) may also have been affected - so make sure to mention it to whatever firm carries out the inspection.

PS if the bike has got any undamaged custom extras fitted - then maybe remove them now whilst you still have access to the bike - just in case the bike is written off - I doubt any insurance company will compensate you for their value.

SkiMad

6. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    well it looks like your in good shape with insurance, lucky BB wasn't driving-he just takes off and laughs later on

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Damn. Sorry to hear about this.

Can't believe it stayed up either!

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    In 99.9% of the time (maybe less) you are quite correct. But in my case, the private portion of the insurance I have is declared value. I even spoke to the agent about this telling them I doubt the fair market value is as high as my declared value. They still say I get the declared value if written off. That sounds great, but it also opens the door for the insurance company to pay more for repairs and leave you with a badly damaged but suitably repaired bike. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

9. nic579

nic579 New Member

Hoping all will be fine with side stand replacement and a once over on forks replacing any bent parts. I would prefer to do the work myself but being an insurance claim I must go through a shop. I will inspect the bike well once it's is returned regardless.

My well developed 2000 GSXR600 was totaled out from under me for minor damages and i hope that does not happen here.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  10. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Sounds great get a new bike1

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    with the miles you got

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    It is only insure for 6K that won't get me even close to a new VFR. Besides, high mileage considered, this one still runs great. I am also curious just how long it will last. I just might outlast me.

I will have to leave it to someone here in my will cause my boy isn't the slightest interested in bikes. When I offered to send him on the MC course, his response was a very resounding "I'm not riding that thing!"

13. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Something seems odd here to me?:dizzy:

14. nic579

nic579 New Member

So bike was into the shop and I have it back no repairs to date . The service department wrote up the front fender and kickstand and declared the bike fine otherwise. Riding the bike tells otherwise and I have contacted the drivers insurance of the issue. I think I will be contacting Honda USA as the shop did not seem to have proper means or knowledge on how to handle the weight of the bike to service the front end and there were no signs that the front forks were removed and inspected like stated. It seems they clamped the rear wheel and used the the final drive and swing-arm as a fulcrum to the mass of the bike while they did what ever work they actually accomplished to the front end of the bike while they had the bike jacked up on its headers. Can someone here tell me how hot your final drive is after a 20 minute drive because I never paid muck attention to mine before and now I can note that the thing is very hot to the point it is uncomfortable to put my hand. This is after my return ride home with the bike from the shop. Interestingly enough I had offered the Honda shop use of my Pit-Bull stand if they did not have a proper stand on hand. Now there is also a looseness in the rear swing-arm linkage that I don't believe was there prior to the incident and had not noticed in my home inspections of the bike. My experience 0-2 now with the 2 Honda service centers that this bike has been serviced at. I am now left with concerns with the final drive, swing-arm , rear shock, and linkages due to the service received by the Honda service center.

This bike is quickly going from one of my all time favorites to the biggest nightmare motorcycle I have ever owned.

15. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    They don't put 90 weight gear oil in that final drive, because there's nothing going on. Ive seen cars and pick-ups with finned differential covers, so yes, I would have to assume they get quite warm.

If it was mine, I'd ride the thing until something actually broke, rather than looking for a reason to worry.

16. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Go ahead, please, and name the shops that were not-so-good.:livid:

17. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Best way to find out if anything wrong is a test ride's, you worry too much-it could have been worse like BB took it for a ride or tip over-Randy or me- my drop count is around eight-siders do work

18. nic579

nic579 New Member

disassembly and inspection shows lower triple bent, top may be bent also but without major body work removal this cant make it to the machine surface.

excessive play front to rear both legs "clunk clunk" , no noticeable side play, twist fork lower 90 right leg still shows excessive play "but less clunk clunk " left leg again less play and " no clunk clunk " .

Inspection clearly shows damage without dial indicators which tells me the shop is incompetent or did not actually inspect the bike for damage which was my initial conclusion when they did not seem to know how to handle the bike to remove the front end. This Honda Shop is listed for Service on the Power Sports Honda USA Site !

So probably proper inspection would be better than having to find that the bike is unsafe to ride how it is ment to be ridden.

19. nic579

nic579 New Member

I feel sorry for the poor suckers that go to these shops expecting proper care of their expensive vehicles.

Oo and I have to yet to check the front wheel for runout possible due to the excessive side force put into it bu the impact to it at an angle whit steering in full lock.

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Put the bike on a trailer and take it to another shop. Let your insurer be your front "man". The more you fuck with the bike yourself, the greater the chance that you will end up with zip. Hold out for a new bike. Your insurer will probably cancel you anyway. Instead of guessing and measuring stuff that is probably irrelevant, source out what NY insurance regs have to say.