VFR1200 - Non haters thread

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by John451, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jrj

jrj New Member

I have been waiting for the "NEW" vfr since before I bought mine in '06 and now that it's actually a real bike I think I just want to love it even though i'm actually not sure, such a long build up period. I just hope it doesn't touch that $20K mark, but I guess that would make the decision easier 20k just to many bucks for me.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I, like most of you, want to like this bike. I want to ride this bike. I think I will enjoy this bike ... if I can afford it. Traditionally the VFR has been a few $$ more than the comparable sportbike. I actually was looking at the FJR and the concourse, but I like the look of the new VFR even more. Also, I don't care what you guys say, I like the headlight. I don't like the pipe, though. It's not perfect I don't think, but that kind of fits with the VFR doesn't it. connaisseur of all the arts and master of none... I like the idea of no chain maintenance, don't like the weight. Prefer the 180 tire, but not against the 190. Like the shorter wheelbase of the old bike but not necessarily against the new. I really need to throw it through some corners to see how it feels. I am not a huge fan of BMW bikes. I rode a R1100S (I think...it was the one that looks like a taxi cab). Anyway, to me, the BMW felt like I was _on_ the bike where the VFR feels like I am _in_ the bike. Could just be me, though. I guess it's kind of a moot point for me anyway since I don't have over 100000 miles on my VFR yet anyway.

3. VFRCaptBob

VFRCaptBob New Member

Geesh, they took long enough to design it and build it. There better not be any serious bugs in it. I like the new VFR. The looks kind of grow on you. It could be just the hard bagger I'm looking for.

4. jazclrint

jazclrint New Member

United States
    Map
    I was looking at the BMW K1300s and GT, and the Kawi ZX-14 and Concourse to try to place the VFR. Personally it looks like to me if you get any kind of twist track the VFR is going to say adios to all of them. But I got thinking the ZX-14 and Hyabusa both have a long and low look to them, like drag bikes. The new VFR is 3" longer. Do you think there is enough to work with in the new 1200 motor to take these guys on at the drag strip?

5. jrj

jrj New Member

The best info I have found as far as details are concerned is on the honda UK site.
    Lots of vids and interviews.

Check it out.

6. dhridr

dhridr New Member

Map
    I like it... but planning on riding the s*** out of my '07 and then in 5 to 10 years pick up one of them used.

7. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    Look, I believe Honda is capable of hitting the ball out of the park (often they do not) and there is no doubt they have the capital and engineering resources at hand. Based on what is known about the bikes power and weight, it will leave all other VFRs for dead and most other bikes too. I am very impressed with Hondas new technology which is reflected in the newest CBR1000RR ( a bike I own) and I am amazed at the machines capabilities; I have a lot to compare the new Hondas with having ridden and owned so may sport(y) bikes in the last 40 years. I feel a buzz with this bike that is the same but less intense as the 1969 CB750 ( I owned a K0 from new). It is not anywhere near as big a deal as 1969 but it is there; only about 12 bikes in the past 40 years have gotten me really excited, this is one of them. If you look at the VFR1200 you see a lot of sport bike architecture and I bet the bike will be stable and quick handling like the CBR, just more stability (which is hard to imagine) and not quite as quick handling. The frame, forks, suspension and brakes look like they came off a top line sport bike; will the shaft be the best set up yet, I would not be surprised. The bike looks good and I will bet the price will be competitive, Hondas usually are.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  8. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Darn, just found out the VFR1200 most likely wont be available for public scrutiny here before early 2010. :frown:

9. jazclrint

jazclrint New Member

United States
    Map
    They had been saying the rags get them in december, and the manual models will be available shortly after that. The dual clutch system won'
    t be available until late spring early summer. Is that what you heard, or has something changed?

On another subject, my mom and I were discussing the new VFR1200F. She likes to ride a lot, and went to a WDGAH ralley with me. She loves the VFR as well. However, she did mention that she thought my VFR had enough power (95hp and 50 ft-lbs) and she was not sure she wanted to get on the back of a VFR that had pretty much twice the power. At least with me at the helm. :D She, unlike me, does like the nose.

10. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Love the clean modern looks of the new Dash.

[​IMG]

Not so sure about the engine though but then it's how it goes and sounds that's important.

[​IMG]

11. VFR1200

VFR1200 New Member

Canada
    Map
    MCN are riding the VFR in Japan and this is some of the comments.

'It took less than a lap to get comfortable on the bike and despite the kerb weight being a hefty 267kg and the bike being fully fuelled, that weight wasn’t apparent at all. It drops into turns so easily that for the first half a lap I had to sit the bike up again a couple of times as it caught me out.

'Don’t confuse easy with boring - the V4 motor has character and lots of grunt all the way through to the 10,500rpm redline. The engine is strong all the way through, throttle response is lovely, the ABS linked brakes have bite and feel and wind protection is excellent.

'I was expecting more of a howling V4 engine noise but it’s flatter and deeper which wasn’t what I was thought it would be like…it still sounds very good though. Almost like an aircraft radial piston engine.

12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    this sounds just like a VFR. Now I can't wait to hear when someone puts an aftermarket pipe on one. I wonder who'll be the first to make one and what route they'll take?

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Have you heard one with the stock exhaust? Probably hard to explain in vroom-vroomspeak.

This is probably a good link for aftermarket exhaust stuff. The major aftermarket companies have info on the new bikes that are not for public consumption.

Yoshimura - On Road Motorcycle, ATV and Off Road Motorcycle Exhaust

14. Badbilly

United States
    If your college or university has "Motorcycles 101" as an elective, take it. I think Moto-Guzzis are against the law in Maine. Mitch may end up as Editor in Chief of Cycle World since they dumped ol Dave or he may have been kidnapped by some of those pissed off Canucks and they killed him and ate him when he road tested an 800 the R/R crapped out and then strangely the bike went back to freaking Japan never to be seen again.

As the owner of both a 91 VFR and one a them dorky looking Beemers c.1979 if you really want some solid poop on your 91 it's gonna cost ya a few pesos. The general world motocycle press had some great things to say about the bikes. That among other factor is why I bought mine brand new in 91.

Yep, in comparison some of the early BMWs were a bit strange to look at but then again Bix was too. He was sort of lop eared and had a really funny haircut. Played good though.

Heres a link:

http://www.mcreports.com Motorcycle article reprint review service

15. jazclrint

jazclrint New Member

United States
    Map
    No, I got one of those life credits things after having ridden for 11 years, both coasts up and down, across the country, through Canada, and about 70,000 miles on motorcycles. Oh, and an MSF MMSEC Instructor's Licence. Of course in Maine that qualified me for professorship of that class, because motorcyclists here are so clueless. It's a little scary.

I bought a book from them about my 500 Interceptor 10 years ago. It's a good product. I never really felt the need to buy one for my '91 because, as I said, everyone said such good things about it. But other than the '98 VFR beating the R1 for bike of the year in one of the rags, I've neevr really read much good about it. They always cover the bike, but it always feels to me as if it the article was written by someone who got the short straw and would much rather be out on the latest race bike with lights. But that's here in the US. I've never really had access to foreign rags, so I don't know. I do have other things to do, like pray to god no one legalizes Moto Guzzi's in Maine. :D

You are seriously going to compare Bix Beiderbecke to a BMW? If Bix were alive to day he would have onwed a ZX-14 with win turbos, or a really disgusting Harley. And yes he played good, for a trumpet player. Pee Wee, now he was the man.

Rich

16. Badbilly

United States

17. wcsjr1

wcsjr1 New Member

I like the current size.

I’m not a hater but am disappointed in Honda. Like the VFR 800 the VFR 1200 is listed as a sport bike so the insurance will be higher. The replacement mid sized touring bike is the NT 700 which is heavier than the VFR800 and will likely not be as good for two riders since many on this site consider the VFR 800 to be marginal for two up riding. I like the current size and don’t need substantially more power just more comfort for longer rides.

Honda should have improved the VFR 800 with better fuel mileage, a more comfortable seat and categorize it as a touring bike. There are a number of other ideas posted on this site that would also improve it not to mention upgrading to newer technology such as the ABS used on the Honda sport bikes. The ST 1300 should have been the bike to upgrade to compete with the other larger sport touring bikes. Actually they could have swapped the brands and given us a ST 800 or 900 for 2010. My dealer said the NT 700 is the ST 1300 replacement. I’m not sure either brand is all that popular in the U.S.

I’ll be taking a look at the VFR 1200 when the dealers get it this spring but in reality I’m hoping for another 90k miles on this bike before getting a replacement.

18. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Never in a million years would I have thought a forum member knew the names of these two great horn players!

19. John451

John451 Member

Australia
  20. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

At first look of the release photos I hated the VFR1200 because it looked WAY too beefy and touring like. However, now that more photos and walk around videos have been released I really really like it! It's not nearly as big looking with people in the pictures for perspective. I'm not so sure about the flowing fairing into the gas tank look or the shaft drive but I'll see it in person in January at the bike show. I'm definitely excited about the engine though! The dual-clutch auto sounds pretty freakin' cool but it's something I'd only try and not buy.... at least not in my young age. :)

P.s. I love how the dash lcd panels look like they received their design cues from the 5th gen headlamp shape. Check out the picture and compare them to John 451's avatar!