VFR1200 Tires - Dunlop RoadSmart 3's - good choice?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jayzonk, Apr 14, 2018.

1. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Need to replace the OEM tires on the 2010 VFR 1200. I see that they are called Dunlop RoadSmart Sportmax tires, which I find a little strange. Was thinking about going with Dunlop RoadSmart 3's. Will they be considerably better for cornering?

2. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    I guess I never thought of the original tires as being particularly good/bad, so I'm not sure that upgrading to another Dunlop is going to provide much of a difference. I suspect that the OEM tires are a single compound, while the RS 3's are a dual compound, but I'm not sure.

3. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know about that particular tires, so I can't offer an educated opinion. What I know is that I don't like dunlops.
    I've ran dunlops on a few different bikes and all of them have had a decent grip and decent longevity, but all of wore out uneven and scalloped.

4. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hmm. The "reviews" made them sound better than that. What are you running now? What kind of riding?

5. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I've ran Michelin pilot road 2, 3 and 4 lately. I prefer the 3's over the 4's.
    I rode from home (Orange County) to Colorado a few years ago and ran the 2's. I rode through strong cross-winds and 5 storms in a single day including some hail, and have no complaints about them.
    I commute to work daily and do the occasional canyon ride with day-long rides.

6. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    By the way, I'm expecting a new set of Bridgestones Battlax t31 in the next few days. I would have ordered Michelin again, but want to try a new brand just because.
    A fellow rider on this forum speaks highly of the battlax, so I'll give them a shot.

7. 2027Matt

2027Matt New Member

United States
    Map
    My opinion, the original Dunlops have no grip. I just replaced with Roadsmart III. They should be much better tires. I have only road once so it's too early to tell. It may snow tomorrow. What I have read, the Roadsmart III's should be a decent tire and the price was right. I usually go with Michelin but I want to try some hopefully good Dunlops.

8. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Me as well. Was going to try metzeler roadtec 01 tires but I saw a post that said the front was made in China while the rear is still made in Germany. Can' verify that but it was enough to get me thinking about getting good quality. Dunlops roadsmart 3'sare still US made and they hit a lot of reviews near the top, even when reviewed by Europeans. However, there is a ton of conflicting information on the net about tires so who knows.

9. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I've seen Pirelli Angel GT tires run very fast on the track on a Ducati. I've also seen them run across country. Something to consider.

XRedJar likes this.
  10. XRedJar

XRedJar New Member

United States
    Map
    I had a set of Angel GTs on my FZ1, and they were good all around tires. They wore very well. The only negatives are that the profile is flatter in the center which slows up the steering some, and I didn't get as much feel as I'd have liked from them. It's definitely got good dry grip.

Lint likes this.
  11. mtommer

mtommer New Member

United States
    I've been running the RS 3s on my CB500X for the last year and a half. I've put over 8,000 miles on them and I no complaints. They've worked well in rain and dry conditions. I've never once had the rear tire let loose on me (or the front for that matter). I even rode on the highway through a serious thunderstorm with a storm cell that produced a verified tornado thirty miles west of where I was traveling. It wasn't fun by any means but I made it through okay.

12. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I have the Dunlop Roadsmart -Sportmax 2's on mine and I have some slipping issues. This starting off this season. I have about 1,000-1500 miles on them and I really only started to notice an issue this last week. With all of the other issues I had last season on the bike when I put them on the amount of riding and the type of riding done I did not pay attention to. I honestly dislike Dunlop's with them on all of my past bikes. The only reason that I put them on was because I was confused about a recommendation of tire replacement on the forum. Like in wine (producer FIRST, any proprietorial name,SECOND etc. not slang or just model names :) Maybe it was the beer, but I have no hard feelings about my stupidity and past experience. :) I should have stuck to Michelin or Bridgestone's like I have in the past. I do have a set of Bridgestone T30Evos that are older now. But still a great recommended tire. Michelins have never done me wrong as well.

13. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map

I had Roadsmarts on my vfr750. They gripped well, and wore well except with higher mileage the front squared off a little and at slow speeds turning left or right they were a bit unstable. Once leaned over or at higher speed they worked fine. I then bought Roadsmart 2's and they were an even better tire. Grip well, wear well, and haven't acted strange with higher mileage. Like them so much I just bought Roadsmart 3's. I recommend this tire.

14. MSRP

MSRP New Member

Canada
    Not too far off topic, anyone with the Roadsmart 3's transition into another tire from the same category?
    I've been flip-flopping between the Michelin Road 5 or Dunlop Roadsmart 3's the past few days for my 2001 vfr800, but am likely going with the Roadsmart 3's purely because they end up $200+ cheaper for a set (Canadian bagged milk dollars)
    $480 vs $350(actually, 275 after $75 rebate).

FWIW, nothing but great testimonies for the new Road 5's in the vfr world.
    If I commuted, I think I may have gone with the Road 5's.