Vfr1200 Vs Tiger 800 On the Highway?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by RandomGRK, Aug 12, 2015.

1. RandomGRK

RandomGRK New Member

Hi all

I do a lot of highway riding as part of my commute and I'm not quite happy with the Tiger in this respect. Despite getting a top screen, I still feel quite buffeted. I can ride with my visor open but the wind hits the very top of my helmet and drives me crazy. Also, it gets really hot in the thighs at anything below 70mph.

Do you think the VFR would manage highway speeds and the wind better? I rode my mates F800ST and that felt a lot more smooth at 80mph+.

I test rode the VFR and it was great but the closest highway is quite a way from the dealer and he wasnt keen on me taking it there. I took her to about 90mph for a few seconds and I felt some buffeting and it was quite noisy but thats not a fair comment since it was so short lived.

2. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    If it's commuter comfort that you're after, the VFR might not be the best choice. Granted, if you put a tall windscreen on the vfr1200 I'm sure it would be quite easy to ride at highway speeds all day, let alone for a commute. But unless you want that extra power and some decent cornering capability, there are far better choices for a commuter bike imo.

3. RandomGRK

RandomGRK New Member

Thanks. Definitely not looking for a comfy cushy bike. I still want her to make me pee a little but also just manage that damn buffeting. I assume the majority of upright type bikes would induce some sort of buffeting and I really dont want to look through a screen like I am now.

My previous bikes were all naked but I lived in a suburban metropolis and hardly used the highway. Now I only use the huge roads.

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Look at the MRA Touring Xcreen for either bike ... it really made a huge difference on my bike, especially for long distance touring and highway speeds.

5. RandomGRK

RandomGRK New Member

I have the Madstad screen which employs similar physics to the MRA. It definitely creates a good quiet spot by my visor but does nothing to stop the rushing air coming from underneath the mirrors, bars etc. Also, anything above 70 and I start getting buffeting at the very top of my helmet which feels like someone is playing drums on my head. As I was riding to work today, I thought to myself, this cant be healthy....I wonder what the long term effects are.

RB3.TIGER800.CR18.Cview1.jpg RB3.TIGER800.CR18.Cview1.jpg

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Oh wow ... yah, the VFR I think would definitely provide more protection.

My 6th gen VFR800 with a Givi touring screen, and the Xcreen attached gave no buffeting and reduced noise significantly at highway speeds. I looked at the VFR1200 but the VFR800 has better range and fuel economy while still hauling the mail loaded down.

I'm 5' 11" ... stock seat but I did raise the bars with Convertibars for a more upright riding position.

7. Roar

Roar New Member

Not really relevant, but I rode Tiger 800 XRx a few weeks ago, about 20 miles. When I got back the salesman asked what I thought. I told him I liked a lot about it, but the heat was a total deal breaker and it should have never made it out of engineering. I first noticed about 10 miles in and I couldn't wait to get back and get off. Your thigh is right against that frame piece that is blazing hot because it is directly attached to the motor. I asked him to touch the frame and he said, holy sheet!

Crazy. I don't mean to knock your ride, sorry. I just couldn't believe several reviews missed that, not to mention anyone at Triumph. I jumped on my Harley and left, for once appreciative how cool it was...lol

Anyway, getting back to your question: The VFR will definitely handle highway speeds better. Not sure about the wind...not real sensitive to that myself and don't like screens much unless I'm going a looooong way. The Tiger seemed rather anemic compared to the VFR, to me. And both seemed weak compared to the R1200R I also rode that day (but the reviews were a little too gracious on that one, too, with it's quickshifter that doesn't work right, snatchy front brake, and el cheapo controls).

8. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    If you still have the tiger remove the screen all together, way way better.
    I've owned both bikes and the VFR1200F is smother with less buffeting but definitely more wind noise.