VFR750 1994 Paint Code - Metallic Red

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by gavindeeble, Apr 22, 2013.

1. gavindeeble

gavindeeble New Member

Hi, I have a 1994 VFR750 which needs a re-spray. It is the stock blue/green from that era and I want to change it to the better looking metallic "pillar box" red that Honda produced. Does anyone know the exact red paint code from that time or can anyone point me to a website that provides the information. cheers everyone

2. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I think the factory paint code for the 94-97 North American bikes for the red was R157P. I'm not sure if the paint codes were different in Europe but I know there were a few colors offered over there that were not available in North America. Hopefully Stoshmonster chimes in at some point as I think he is the resident site afficianado when it comes to paint codes.

At one point I had a 97 VFR750 and I had it painted a pearl red to match the Mazdaspeed Miata and Mazda 3 from 2005. The Mazda paint code I used was 27A. The color is a bit darker than the factory red but it turned out really nice and the contour lines of the bike made the bike gleam in the sun. The Mazda code has gold and silver metallic fleck in the paint and added a true richness to the color that the factory color lacked IMHO. In the pics below you can see what my 97 looked like in the Mazda Pearl Red and a photo of the stock seat cowl off my 2000 VFR (not quite the same color as the 97 but very close) and the color of the seat cowl off my 97 (right side) in the Mazda color.

010.jpg 97 VFR750 (3).jpg

3. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Oooooh so close Zoom-Zoom but not quite my friend.

According to the info that I have the factory paint code for the Red 94-97 VFR750's is R158P Pure Red Pearl.

That R158P paint requires that a special base coat be sprayed first before the Red paint is sprayed. It's that base coat that actually brings out the Pearl in the paint,without it you just get a sort of flat Red.

4. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, at least I was sort of close. I was only off by one digit, so I guess my m.......... mem............. memry................. ahhh memory, yes memory ain't what it used to was when I was younger. Stosh to the rescue. I know I got the Mazda paint code right because I still have the bottle of touch up in my shop and it was right in front of me at the time.