VFR750FJ Starting problem

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by andyh, Jun 23, 2006.

1. andyh

andyh New Member

Hi all
    thanks in advance for any help.
    i have a problem starting my VFR750FJ 1989 model. this only happens sometimes when cold i.e. overnight. after starting, it will restart even after being stood for 7/8 hours usually ridden in warm weather. when you press the start button it just clicks once abit like when the battery is flat and cannot sturn the starter. Battery ok. its a very loud noise and sounds mechanical.
    a friend Honda delaer mechanic has said it could be the starter clutch or something about ithe pulse generator triggers on the clutch being incorrectly positioned and not lining up in the correct firing order?
    i try to rock it back and forward in gear and after short while it starts. if i stop it straight away it turns over quickly and starts ok.
    pls help. i know where the strater motor is and the starter clutch but what do i look for!!!!!
    pls help.
    thanks andyh

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  2. vifferj

vifferj New Member

Sounds like 1 of 2 things 1= clutchplates sticking overnight and the hydraulic clutch being unable to seperate them due to air in the system. This can also highlight the dreaded cracked starter clutch which is endemic to this model. Change the engine oil and bleed the clutch and hopefully all will be well. If this doesn't work i'm afraid it's probably the starter clutch requiring replacement. Ps regarding the mechanic that said the pulse generators might be out of line, I think he might be a bit confused if you get my meaning. Good luck

3. andyh

andyh New Member

Many thanks for the replies.
    bleeding the clutch sounds about right. what is the 'dreaded cracked starter clutch' and how will i recognise this if i was looking at it?
    many thanks
    Andyh

4. vifferj

vifferj New Member

The starter clutch comes in five parts, housing, backplate, springs,pins and rollers, when you remove the starter clutch take off the cover (secured by 3 bolts) remove the pins springs and rollers hopefully then you won't see a crack radiating from the centre of one of the roller grooves to the outside of the starter clutch. don't forget to tension the backlash gear when you refit it