VFR800 5th Generation - A Gearhead’s Delinking Brake Saga and the Interceptor SS

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by mello dude, Jul 11, 2006.

1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Gotta admitt - I have seen some nice conversions - F4i, RC51 & R1. There's probly a few others.

-Its three years later and I'm three years wiser - I always wonder -- what if..... then back to reality, I have already spent a small fortune on my ride and it works pretty damn good already. Still the ultimate vfr would be 6th frame, 5th motor, Ohlins forks, Ohlins or Penske rear shock, custom clips-ons to simulate 4th gen eros, 5th body, RC51 or R6 tail, Torocharger, Carrozzeria wheels, Brembo brakes. -- add that up and its another $8500 minumum -ouch!

MD

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. E-Ticket

E-Ticket New Member

United States
    Thanks for the link, boss ... that's just what I was looking for! :thumbsup:
    Now all I have to do is go win Powerball to pay for all the blingy bits. :^)

E-Ticket

3. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Well having read about MD's front end conversion & having improved all other areas of my Viffer over the last couple of years & having attended a Ron Haslam Race School using CBR600RR's (sort of a track day with instructors) I decided the only thing it was truely lacking was BRAKES.
    Having previously owned an CBR600F4 which had great brakes & seeing as the combined 3 piston (post delink) front brakes were just not up to the job, I decided to follow MD's example, as I already have very expensive Traxxion Dynamics AK20 cartridges with full suspension adjustability.

So this is it before
    [​IMG]

I bought a set of VTR1000 Firestorm (in UK) SuperHawk (in USA) front forks privately, that were in reasonable condition, but not perfect.
    I stripped the lowers off & gave them a quick mechanical clean (wire brush) & degreased them. Then I filed off all the casting marks & the material off the lower caliper mounts to allow the calipers to bolt up correctly, then sent them off to be vapor blasted & they came up lovely. I then had them anodised inside & out. Now for future reference clear anodizing is NOT clear, it turned my lovely shiny alloy to a dull grey colour :frown: So I bought some rattle cans, setup a spray booth in my garage & added 1xprimer, 2xsilver & 2xclear coats to them & they came out quite nicely.

This is it after replacing the new lowers on the VFR uppers. Note;- VTR uppers (chrome) are longer than VFR uppers.
    [​IMG]

MellowDude has had a batch of the mudguard/fender mounts made & I have bought a set, I'll add an update when I get round to fitting the mudguard.

I used CBR929 Calipers & an CBR600F4 front master cylinder that I already had for the 3 piston front brakes. I bought a complete set of Titanium hardware for the calipers & had checked out their function using the old VFR M/C to ensure all pistons were free moving & cleaned them up with the pistons extended. A good tip here when changing pads etc is to clean the calipers then pump the pistons out quite far & then clean the pistons surface & then add a smear of silicone grease before pushing the pistons back. Clean off the excess & the silicone stops water/dirt reaching the dust seal & keeps them sweet to the next pad change or annual inspection.

I had to use 3mm spacers between the fork lowers & calipers to get the caliper central on the disc. These pics show the disc centrered (near enough) in the calipers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I used the same brakelines that I'd had made for the 3 piston front calipers, with a double banjo at the M/C if I recall correctly they were 640mm rightside & 720mm leftside long.

I also had some Titanium parts made in December, these were the front axle, swingarm spindle, front engine mount bolt & the swingarm pinch bolt. The front axle is fitted in the pic above & uses anodised 7075 spacers & end bolt. The left end now sits flush with the fork side & has an internal hex to allow tightening of the end bolt ! All unsprung mounting hardware on the front end is now Ti or alloy :wink: I've shaved 4Kg off the frontend unsprung weight with these mods & 7Kg off the rear ! This includes the carbon wheels saving :cool:

Steel parts weight verses Ti parts weight
    [​IMG]

Front Axle
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Swingarm Spindle
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Engine Bolt
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Swingarm Pinch Bolt
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

With the other mods to date the all up (full tank) wet weight is now 215Kg. If I used the manufactuers wet weight measure which is with only 10L fuel & all other fluids onboard, then the wet weight is 208Kg (same as standard dry !), a standard Y2K VFR with a full tank is 244Kg ! If anyone has scales & can weigh a standard one with brim full tank that would be good. I'll start a new thread for the other mods done this winter.

I've only done test on my drive way & the brakes are much better already & the pads are NOT even bedded to my discs yet !!!!!!
    Kudos to MD for coming up with this solution & designing the mudguard hangers.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Impressive work Mohawk - TI axles and hardware and BST front. Wow! I bet the bike will be awesome in the corners!

Thanks for the comment on my mud guard adaptor brackets.

5. 91talon

91talon New Member

That BST front is very pretty.

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Was doing some master cylinder research and came across this thread.

No interest in delinking myself but great thread that deserves a bump.

7. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Thanks Tinks, what were you after ?

8. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm looking for a firmer feel and less stroke out of the front. The braided lines I installed helped a ton and I spent two hours bleeding the system following the book procedure to include three hail Mary's.

I was pleased until I rode the 1200 and now my brakes feel like shit compared to that. It's possible I still have an air bubble trapped in the system and I should probably bleed them again after having rode on the new lines for a couple weeks.

9. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Yes very probable. At the end of the day, rapidly pump the lever multiple times & then lock it back with a cable tie, cord etc & place bike on side stand so the M/C is at the highest point. The multi pumps compresses all the bubbles to micro bubbles & causes some fluid movement, the bubbles then migrate up to lines to the highest point. When you release the lever do it slowly & then wiggle it just enough to activate the brake switch & this will wiggle the last of the air bubbles into the M/C, Might take 2-3 goes to get it all, but it usually works.

10. lineman65

lineman65 New Member

You must be some kind of Engineer! Great job! Pix too.

11. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Bumping for a new batch of fender brackets version 3.0 - - just recieved.
    [​IMG]

12. tefal

tefal New Member

hey, sorry for the bump but i was looking at having my fork internals upgraded/fixed up soon and saw this if i were to buy a set of VTR lowers, does the standard VFR axel/wheel etc all just fit as standard or would i need spacers etc?

and would there be any difference in length/internal requirements or could i just take my stock forks, the SH lowers to a suspention builder and have them put them back together with new internals and it basicaly be a drop in replacement?

would the stock VTR brakes be best or say some 01-02 GSXR1000 calipers be better (looked at some VTR forums and tey are a straight fit replacement it seems for the sh)?

13. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    With the VTR lowers the stock wheel and spacers bolt up just fine. And any internal upgrades will go together simply as a drop in work.
    - I dont have any experience with the VTR calipers, but RC5, F4i, 929 or 954 should work. I think mohawk use 954, check a few posts back.

14. tefal

tefal New Member

awesome thanks, i just saw your mod thread an posted in there about the f4i/6th tripples option :p

15. mark641

mark641 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    What can I say, other than where there's a will, there's a way!
    Great stuff here but I'm going to keep it real world in concept and cost.
    so with the VTR1000 Firestorm/Superhawk lowers, which spindle/axle do I use and is it feasible to use spacers for a VTR mudguard?
    I will be using VTR brake calipers with twin lines with a M/C yet to be determined.
    Advice please...faaanx

16. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    If you are using the 5th gen triples, the VTR mudguard wont fit.
    Use stock 5th gen axle.

17. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Thread from the dead, and tl:dr all of it.

Has anyone successfully mounted the GSXR calipers mentioned in page one?