VFR800 vs CBR1000RR

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rufussrgnt, Nov 17, 2009.

1. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I like both the CBR and VFR. If I had answered this question a week ago I may have been a little more prone to say check the CBR and look for mods that can make the bike more comfortable for longer rides. I got hit by a Van last week while on my VFR. I was on a three lane road going approx 40 - 45mph. I was in the middle lane when a Van moved into the lane from the right. Yeah I have some skills from time on the road, but I was lucky and the VFR is a tough bike. I was able to avoid hitting the van broadside, but did get clipped and did a slide (no matter what the situation is I always feel safe when I tuck in on the VFR). I suffered no major injuries (banged up my foot a little, but my AlpineStars boots served me well). and the bike was not badly damaged (luckily I have sliders that are drilled into the frame). I usually ride my little Yamaha YZF 600R for daily commutes and had I been on that little light bike when the van hit me I would be really hurt and the bike would have suffered major damage. No disrespect to Yamaha or anyone - I do not have to dislike or hate anything to appreciate what I like. I enjoy having more than one bike (especially if I have to put my bike in the shop), so I would suggest getting the VFR and the save some cash (or find a rich woman who likes you lmao) for a 3 - 4 year old 600cc CBR for fun rides and track days. just my two cents

2. rufussrgnt

rufussrgnt New Member

Map
    Thanks for the input. As regards finding a rich woman, my wife says you should mind your own business!

3. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map

WTF ignorance is bliss

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    First of all, glad you are OK after the crash. Secondly I tried your advice.....25 years ago.... I married my wife for her money. She still has it and we are still married. Happily I might add.

5. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks!!! appreciate you!!!!

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, glad to see you are OK Emon. I'm from Jersey myself. Although I've never rode my bike in NYC or any boroughs, I think about all the time I spent there and it seems nothing short of miraculous that you fared as well as you did, considering the habits of some of the drivers in our area. Visions of the FDR, Belt, and West Side come to mind!

Sorry for the temporary hijack, and now back to your regularly scheduled program...

7. sparky750

sparky750 New Member

get'em both

just don't buy new ones. i'm not sure what price you're looking at, but for 8k, you could get a 5th or 6th gen and a supersport for those special occasions (track days). nothing wrong with more than 1. remember...n=the number of bikes you have and n+1=the number of bikes you should have!:thumbsup:

8. skivfr1

skivfr1 New Member

Wow, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner! I own BOTH because I NEED both! 2 different styles of riding........... Do I want to just go out for a couple hours and carve turns like a pair of slalom skis, get off on mind numbing acceleration, pass cars at will and short of meeting up with a half million dollar exotic sports car (or another liter bike!) know that I OWN the road?.........OR........ Do I want to be able to knock off 500 plus mile days and be able to still walk vertical, roll on the throttle in pretty much any gear and feel magical V4 torque, enjoy sport touring at it's finest balance between comfort and performance? Tough question! Only YOU can answer that..............!! Good luck!

9. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    This is exactly what I did. I paid $4000 for the CBR 954 and $3800 for the VFR. Got a hell of a good deal on the CBR. The VFR was on the high side. :biggrin:

10. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    You are coming back and tell us what you got, right? Specially if you pick the CBR since if you pick the VFR you have a good excuse to come back.

BTW, I used to own one of these.

Ron

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  11. rufussrgnt

rufussrgnt New Member

Map
    I wish my SR looked that good. I'm rebuilding the carb right now.

12. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

Maybe I have a crappy frame of reference because i have never ridden a liter bike, but all the statements people are making about a CBR being able to pass at will or being dramatically faster don't make sense to me. I mean the VFR seems awful fast on it's own if you know how to open the throttle to the lock. Also,we do have speed limits in this country so really at best a person might be able to utilize 50% of a CBR's capabilities, and on a vfr maybe like 65%? I guess I just don't get 1000cc sportbikes on the street- if you do regular track days they make sense I guess. I don't know, I guess to me it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than to have a ridiculously fast bike and always ride it slow. That said- neither bike you are considering is slow. I love my VFR and while I may own other bikes in my lifetime, they will be in addition to my VFR not a replacement of. The Viffer does too many things really well and the only real negative is the weight, and for me it largely disappears when riding, and honestly with the wind we have been having here of late I appreciate not getting blown all over the road like my last bike did (Suzuki GS500) I guess my point is the VFR is plenty quick to go illegal, but it's also more comfy- you won't be able to approach either bike's limits so why make compromises on something like comfort?

13. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map

glad you ok bro. :thumbsup:

14. jaimev34

jaimev34 New Member

Map

+1

100 Hp is enough for me.

15. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    hell with it and just get a multipurpose Triumph

16. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Actually, even on the track, during track days, modern liter bikes don't make sence, unless you are some kind of phenom.

BZ

17. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I would agree, I enjoy the rush of the new liter bikes, but I also understand the unpracticality in their nature. I think that sometimes people forget, especially the inexperienced, that todays VFRs have very similar HP to what the 1000's were producing just 7 or 8 years ago. Back then I never heard anyone say that a CBR 1000 was a slow bike the way that I hear people today say that the VFR is slow. In fact a friend and I had our bikes dynoed togather 18 months ago. With all the toys on his '03 Aprilia RSV, he dynoed 114 RWHP. The VFR was just short of 101 RWHP. Now 160 RWHP is common on the Japanese bikes and the Italians produce more than that. As Bubba said, you had better have your sh!t togather if you plan on giving one of those bikes all it can take.

What good are the 50 extra horses if you are unable or incapable of using them?

18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    +1 excellent points!
    ive got a buddy with a hayabusa.
    we can line up from a standstill. ill put a couple car lengths on him and he doesnt pass me till about 110 mph. basically unless we are doing a highspeed roll on there is no point to his 170 something horses. throw in some tight curve and he gets smaller and smaller in the mirrors, though that is more of a driver vs driver thing...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  19. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    your comparing two total different bikes! on one hand you got the VFR which is a sport-touring bike then on the other hand you have the more hardcore CBR 1000RR, thats like comparing grandma to megan fox

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    lol gross... hopefully thats a comparo that never gets posted... lol