visibility and riding gear

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jcm, Feb 10, 2003.

1. jcm

jcm New Member

I ride in a black leather jacket (no armour), black helmet, and a pair of Belstaff Roadmaster pants that haven't been washed since I bought them in 1972. Lately I've been thinking about getting more visible. Maybe reading some crash stories on the VFR mailing list or seeing Karl Marsh's hi-vis Roadcrafter suit, or remembering my own close calls motivated this. Anyhow, I'd like to hear some thoughts on what clothing is visible, functional, comfortable, and good looking. I love my leather jacket (traditional biker style) but the neck has always been uncomfortable, it doesn't have any armour and I don't think black is very visible. Leather v. textile? Armour, with or without. Just go for a bright helmet and don't worry about the rest? Any thoughts?

2. Greg

Greg New Member

JCM, I have a 2000 VFR (hi-viz yellow) and I bought a Joe Rocket Reactor jacket in yellow and black. The jacket has 1.1 mm leather on the sleeves and shoulders with armor on the shoulders, elbows and back (textile everywhere else). The jacket is very comfortable down to about 40 degrees. It also has a zip out liner for warmth. I feel like I get good protection, visibility and comfort for about $180. Nice vents on the sleeves and back for hot weather. I also wear black leather pants and a black Shoei helmet. I just bought a pair of Joe Rocket Speedway gloves, but I haven't tried them yet because of cold weather --- nice gloves.

8) Greg

3. jcm

jcm New Member

Hi Greg: What kind of leather pants do you have? Can they accomodate armour and are they the inside the boot or outside style? Thanks, Jeff mcQueen

4. Greg

Greg New Member

Hey Jeff, I have a pair of leather pants that I bought when I got my 2000 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic. The pants are sportier than most Harley apparel and the things are super comfortable (especially in the crotch). They have no accommodations for armor and they do not tuck in my boots. They have zippers up both legs and vented material behind the knees which makes for cooler riding in the summer. Having said all that, I would prefer to have some armor on my knees, so a new pair of pants might be in my future (if they are comfortable). On a side note, one of the best things I purchased for my bike is the magnetic RKA Tank bag and the folks at RKA are great!

Greg

5. jcm

jcm New Member

Hey Greg: Thanks for pants info. I agree with you on RKA. I have their 16 litre expandable magnetic bag. It's great, well made, just the right size, and stays on like a rock. I don't use the anchor strap. I haven't tried it in the rain with the cover. I'm thinking about RKA saddlebags, the expandable ones that don't look like violin cases. I have about 5 weeks until the snow clears.... Jeff McQueen

6. T.M.Roe

T.M.Roe New Member

Let me preface this by saying I'm a mile-wh**e. I put on 25k to 30k per season, so my gear gets some use.
    I exclusivly wear a one piece Roadcrafter that is red with silver balistics.
    I think it looks great.
    It gives great protection both against the weather and road rash.
    You can get in and out of it in a snap.
    And its visable.
    I got the one piece so I wouldn't be tempted to ride in Levis and a jacket.
    The down side is when you get to where you are going and need just a jacket to keep warm, you either drag one along or look like a dork walking around in a snow mobile suit. (Picture a 6'3" dude walking around Sturgis and you'll get the picture).
    I think the Hi Vis yellow from Aerostitch works well but it gets dirty very quickly and then they just look like crap.
    I've also had poeple think that guys in the Hi Vis are from the Fire Dept. I don't know if that's good or bad but it's true!

7. spencerl

spencerl New Member

JCM,
    I think most of the textile jackets will give you the excellent protection you need (elbow/shoulder pads) and most have a small reflective stripe in the back as well. (Joe Rocket/Canyon/etc)

I bought a pair of Hein Gericke pants recently form Chapparalmotorsports.com as they were on sale. They are very comfortable, zip out liner knee pads built in, and a reflective patch, great quality. They retail for $260 but are on sale for $99. I recommend taking a look at them.

Also for visibility, I bought a Helmet Halo, which is reflective strap along the bottom of your full face helmet, works great (I think around $12) They are available at most mail order suppliers (Dennis Kirk, etc)

Good Luck

8. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Is the jacket on my Avatar visible? That should answer your question. When I wear that jacket as opposed to my black jacket, people noticeably drive differently around me. Nobody is looking for a motorcycle when driving a cage. Nobody.

9. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Hey JB, I think this thread was from 2003! :D

10. jerritt

jerritt New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hi jcm. While I believe hi vis is a good thing recently at work they started making us wear his vis vest when we go out into the parking lot because one woman backed into a large yellow pole and another backed into one of the work trucks which is white with red and blue paint. They think the vest will make people pay attention if they can't see a truck that is 6' wide and 30' long there's no way a vest or jacket is going to make you stand out

Samuel likes this.
  11. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I used to drive a big red london bus for 8 years. People have hit me on every side (including head on !!) & they pretty much all said the same thing. I didn't see you.

If you rely on people seeing you to make you safer, then I'd suggest staying in a car.

Lint, Samuel and GatorGreg like this.
  12. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    He should change his name from James Bond to Austin Powers - he was cryogenically frozen for 14 years! :D

Back on topic - my jacket is not HiViz Yellow like JB's, but it does have a bit of HiVizYellow accents which may or may not help - see pics below:

IMG_0612.PNG
    IMG_0611.PNG

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  13. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    It's just as relevant, if not more, today as it was in 2003. There are a lot of different people on here too.

14. Comberjohn

Comberjohn New Member

United Kingdom
    While I wouldn't discourage anyone from wearing hi viz, there's another aspect to it.
    There was a study carried out in Europe a few years ago and the conclusion was that there's a danger that because you are wearing hi viz, you will assume everyone will notice you!
    Same thing with extra lights and loud horns.
    It's a horn, not a phaser bank from the US Enterprise. It won't vaporize the car just before you go into the side of it! Unfortunately.
    By all means wear bright gear, have a bank of lights, have a loud horn. Just don't depend on them.
    Work on your positioning and anticipation skills. But, bottom line, no matter what you're wearing, trust nobody!

mhzpower likes this.
  15. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    upload_2017-8-5_16-7-2.jpeg

Lint likes this.
  16. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    True True, just giving you a little ribbing! :D

17. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Holy digging up dinosaurs batman! You must be an archaeologist to dig up this thread.

No need to get your panties in a bunch, I was just jerking your chain hombre....