Vtr1000 superhawk thoughts?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by EricGDR, Mar 24, 2016.

1. EricGDR

EricGDR New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey all,
    I'm considering moving the western South Carolina/North Carolina area this summer. If I can pull it off I would like to leave my vfr up in NY and pick up another bike for down south. The VTR seems a little more on the sporty side. Any one have/had both? Thoughts?
    Thanks
    E

2. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Have you left a VFR behind before? I have read too many times around here, "Wish I had kept the VFR." I would hate for you to be another one full of regrets.

After googling this comparison I found it interesting to read from the time when people were choosing from these when they were newer bikes. Here are some good googles for you:

site:vfrworld.com vtr1000 vs vfr800 (will show past discussions here.)
    vtr1000 vs vfr800

While the VTR may be more track ready out of the box, I think you should consider that a VFR with an upgraded suspension and power commander probably makes the narrow gap between these bikes even smaller.

3. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    If you want a honda twin that is sportier than the VFR, you should probably score an RC51...

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Heres my two cents, SV650 cleaner the better. More parts out there and its a giant killer. RC51 was a nicely put together scooter with gear drive cams but might be twice as much as the suzukahtoid. You could alway just buy yourself a ninja500 and call it a day :loco:

5. EricGDR

EricGDR New Member

United States
    Map
    I've never left it behind per se. But I will be leaving it with my parents, so it won't be gone gone.
    My thought process here is to get something a tad lighter and sportier for the curves and eventually I'll have a place where I can store both bikes. This also makes moving easier as I wouldn't have to transport a bike and all my crap.

6. EricGDR

EricGDR New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 6'1" with a 34"-35" inseam, for reference. I've heard that SV650s fit on the smaller side? I really like what I here about the little twins. It would probably be more practical than a VTR...
    I guess I'm looking for something a little different in a second bike. I guess I could always look for a pre- vtec Viffer...

7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Well I currently own and ride both a 99 VFR and 97 VTR.

The VTR ride position is more compact, lower bars and higher pegs, but for all that still pretty neutral. The saddle tends to lock you in one place but is not a bad shape, overall the VFR is definitely more comfortable and better over longer rides, but for a single tankful the VTR is very tolerable. I have a double bubble screen and the bike cuts nicely through the air with that.

Handling wise I'd say the VTR is better, feels longer/lower and a bit slower steering so more stable, and has much more footpeg ground clearance. It is also considerably lighter than the VFR. the VTR has a locomotive engine, not a revver, and it is happiest between 4 and 7000 rpm, and doesn't feel like there's much point going any higher. With much more torque than the VFR, you don't need to rev high to charge out of bends. They sound awesome with open mufflers!

The VTR engine is quite mechanical feeling, and you always know you've got two big pistons lurching up and down. VTR's are known to break cam tensioners and unlike a 6th gen, when this happens you will bend valves. If you go down this path, make sure you get manual CCTs. VTR's have just the same issues with RR's as VFRs. They are carbed, and big ones at that, and sometimes don't run quite as nice as you'd hope. My VTR on the other hand is perfect. They use fuel at about the same rate as a VFR (well mine does) but the tank is only 16L, which for me means a realistic range of 200km before the low fuel light.

VTR's also have very similar suspension to a 5th gen, so all the things that make a 5th gen better also work on the VTR. I've revalved and resprung the fork, and got a 2nd hand Ohlins shock on the back, so the road holding is fantastic and unshakeable. I also upgraded the brakes as I just did not like the stock front brakes. I brought some CBR954 calipers and master and these are simple bolt on which makes the brakes fantastic.

As you can tell, I really like my VTR, and it is a nice change to the VFR to ride. Each of them has outstanding features.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. EricGDR

EricGDR New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you for the comparison, Cadbury64

9. bikemad

bikemad New Member

vtr1000

I have a 95 model vfr750 and a 05 model vtr1000.
    I completely agree with Cadbury they are both outstanding bikes(his vfr is a later model so I can only talk about mine).
    The vtr is the sportier of the two.
    The later model vtr came out with a bigger tank(19l) and I can squeeze 300kls range if steady cruising(110-120kph) .
    It's a lot thirstier when ridden in anger though!
    I have done the manual cam chain adjusters for piece of mind.
    I also have a staintune exhaust and jet kit and K+N filter(fitted by previous owner and set up on a dyno).
    Mine has stock suspension and brakes though.
    I would recommend one though and I love mine.

Cheers Ian.

10. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Had a great ride on my one today.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I am glad you asked. I am 6'-1" weigh in at 270 (honest!) and the VTR fits me pretty well. I freaking love my VTR and my VFR for different reasons! The VTR is crude by comparison. It shifts clunky, it makes all kinds of mechanical noise. Mine rattles like a Ducati and it also has a Two Brother's exhaust so it's kind of loud. The riding position is not uncomfortable but it is kind of a shock when moving from the VFR (lowered pegs and Heli Bars) to the VTR. The thing I hate most about the Superhawk is the peanut tank, combined with it's powerful thirst I only get about 120 miles before I have to start seriously hunting gas. (We never got the bigger tank upgrade in the US.) I bought my Superhawk as a non-runner so I was presently surprised at it's performance when I got it sorted. I was supposed to sell it by now but I can't bring myself to. It's just a different animal than the VFR. It has so much torque that you can't help but screw it on just to feel it pull.

[video=youtube;8SES8OV_9gQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SES8OV_9gQ[/video]

On the video the camera mic was behind the fairing so you can hear the engine noise. Just listen to the gear change clunk! It is a bit like riding my old T3 Guzzi.

jim-and-sh-sm.jpg

12. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Nice video Jim; I like your seamless editing, and strategically located camera that doesn't show any incriminating velocity...

Here's a clip from my bike, the camera is suctioned onto the tank and gets a bits of hollow drumming from there. My bike is a Japanese domestic model hence has a 180km/hr speedo, 60 mph/100 km/hr is right at 12 o'clock.

[video=youtube;7L0XRuxsRMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L0XRuxsRMc[/video]

13. bikemad

bikemad New Member

vtr1000

We just returned from a NZ holiday and you are blessed by the best bike riding roads(especially on the South Island) that I've ever seen!
    I'm very envious of where you can ride!!

14. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Cadbury: Your bike is so quite! I am tempted to reinstall the anti-rattle gear in mine.

They are wicked fun! I am really lucky to have stumbled on to mine.

I had my GoPro suctioned onto the tank as well but I was experimenting with an external mic. I think with the external mic you don't pick up vibrations from the tank. Your bike still sounds better and more civilized than mine.

15. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Hi Jim, you know I'm never sure how much you can rely on on on-board cameras to reproduce the real sound. MotoGP bikes sound fantastic on-board, and they sound awful from trackside!

I recently pulled my clutch out for a look as I wondered whether the anti-rattle gears were properly meshed/sprung, and I was also suspicious that the clutch basket bearing was a bit sloppy or the plates worn. What I found was the anti-rattle was fine, plates looked new, the basket was good, the clutch needle bearing and bushing were a little loose but I only replaced them because I had bought the parts. The water and oil chains are pretty loose but I understand they're all like that. I did find the clutch cush drive was a bit knocky, I could make it rattle just by shaking the basket. Anyway I buttoned it all back together and it is a tiny bit quieter, more importantly I now know the condition of all those parts so I no longer worry.

Cheers, Terry

16. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    That is good to know Terry. I left my anti-rattle gear out because 1) If I set it with tension on the springs, it seemed too tight 2) If I didn't set it with tension if didn't seem to do anything and it seemed, to my mind at least, to be a mechanical redundancy. I never thought to check the clutch basket cush drive. The next time I am in there I will be sure and do that. (It's not likely to be soon.)

That bike as 4 chains whirring around in there. The two for the oil and water pumps have no tension to speak of and the other two are, as my old boss used to say :longer than a Kansas well rope!" That engine has a lot of mechanical noise. It is night and day from my VFR with its gear driven cams. I have added then manual CCT adjusters on mine just to be safe.

20150322_170244.jpg FB2.jpg

I have had mine apart. You don't want to pull the engine on one. I found a new use for a discarded pool ladder.

DSCF3389.jpg