What are the greatest yielding mods?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by JimFife777, Oct 1, 2017.

1. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Went out to the coast yesterday with the wife onboard and it was both satisfying and concerning. I don't think it's any surprise to anyone here that immediately it was obvious the rear is under sprung.... and that's before she got on it. I read there's a rebound dampening adjustment but didn't see where it is, but if there's anything left there, I need to dial in more.

I was wondering what are the "go to " mods? Nothing extreme, I don't need it to handle like my other bikes and I'd like to keep the comfort for longer distance two-up riding, but where I see its biggest shortcomings are suspension adjustability.
    • Are there "common" fork swaps from another bike that is pretty straight forward, or an aftermarket kit that will transform the stock units to a much more usable set?
    • If not replacing the rear shock all together, how does one determine a spring rate for say a 200lb rider plus 145 lb passenger?
    • Where is the rebound adjustment (of there is one) for the rear shock?
    • What others that I may not be thinking about, not necessarily suspension related?

Thanks and hope all are getting your ride on

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Jim

I guess in North America your best source of advice is to contact a forum member - Jamie Daugherty (Daugherty motorsports).

On an ABS equipped vtec you should find a suspension adjustment turn wheel located by the pillion right foot-peg. I assume you have played with that.

SkiMad

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    JimFife777 likes this.
  4. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Yes, my understanding is that is the preload. Maybe there isn't a rebound adjustment, the more I read the more I sometimes get confused to what gen bke I'm reading about.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

The knob is the preload and on the bottom shock mount you will find a slotted adjuster for rebound damping.

JimFife777 likes this.
  6. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    I think the fork spring and valve option above is the easiest for the yield.
    Now for the rear, I did a search on the phone and found a rather long (27 pages, I think) thread that went over a few options. If I understood it correctly, the Blackbird XX rear is a direct bolt in swap. I'm assuming that it would have full adjustability, or why would anyone bother.

Anyone give me an update on rear shock swap upgrades? Is the Blackbird swap still the go to and if so, what years for the 6th gen?

Though I'll take forever to get through it, if anyone can find that thread (I just tried and failed) link it, I'm not opposed to reading.

Thanks!

7. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    The Blackbird shock has no adjustability except for preload, I don't know why anyone would bother, it is not any better.

8. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Good to know. The thread was long and I didn't have time to read nearly enough of it

9. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I believe the black bird shock has rebound/preload and is very similar to the VFR shock, not much of an upgrade. Having Jamie Daugherty build you a custom f4i shock (sprung and valved for rider+pillion weight) would be a good option or going aftermarket is another good option. I went with a custom Elka rear shock, built specifically to my weight and riding style. It is adjustable for preload/rebound/ride height/high speed compression/low speed compression and has an external reservoir.

For the front end you need to decide if retaining linked brakes is a priority for you, if it is, having Jamie spring and valve your forks for your weight and style is a great option. If you don't care for the linked brakes, there are many great front end swaps to choose from, the simplest being f4i forks and the hardest being USD forks like RC51 and Yamaha R1. I went with an R1 front end swap with race tech springs and I couldn't be happier with it.

10. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Yes for now I think the upgrade to the stock forks will suffice. I'll ask for my weight, aggressive side for riding and usually with s passenger.

f4i? That's got ride height, and full adjustments? I'm sure I can find one use somewhere. Any of the years I need to shop for?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

11. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    A CBR600F4i can be used as the basis for a modified shock to suit the 6G, it has adjustable compression and rebound damping, plus preload adjustments. But you will find a stock 600 shock is undersprung for the VFR and is probably too short as well. Daugherty Motorsports will take a used 600 shock and re-spring and revalve it plus new seals/oil/gas, plus alter the length to suit the 6G plus a little extra ride height. So you end up with a tailored solution with all the adjustments for far less than a full aftermarket shock like an Ohlins, Nitron etc.

CandyRedRC46 and Lint like this.
  12. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    So very this. Don't just grab a shock off of eBay. Just have Jamie build one for you. Or pony up and get another aftermarket shock, but they're fairly high in price.

13. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    How I took the suggestion, was I get a shock off eBay (or somewhere used) and send that to Daugherty to work his magic.

Is that not the idea?

14. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    You're better off just getting one of JD, he can supply the whole thing.
    Won't cost much more if at all, and you siplify the process.
    If you look at his website you can see all the prices.

JimFife777 likes this.
  15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Is yours ABS? Sorry didn't read threw the entire thread.
    Mines a non- ABS but member OOTV found an ABS rear shock for $100 for me and off it went to Jamie while he was getting my fork inserts ready.
    Now I have the rebound dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Ah, I didn't see that option, I thought the option was only to send in your own adjustment lacking unit to get reworked. I'll give another look, if he already has a better unit, bonus.

17. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Mine is ABS

duccmann likes this.
  18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    F4i does not have ride height or separate high/low speed dampening, but they do have the normal rebound/compression/preload adjustments. The f4i shock (may need custom spacer?) and forks are a simple swap for sixth gens, but of course should be sprung and valved accordinally.