What are the trusted helmet brands these days?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RobVG, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Just figured I'd post an update on the HJC RPHA-ST that I purchased .... FANTASTIC!

It broke in beautifully and fits like a glove. The ventilation is top notch, it comes with PinLock, and the internal visor is dark enough to wear facing into the sun.

Excellent field of vision as well. My only complaint is that it's a touch noisy - I think it's partly due to the excellent ventilation.

My helmet is a Large and it weighs in at just over 1500g ... excellent helmet for the price.

2. UJMan

UJMan New Member

I've had hats from HJC, Icon, and a couple smaller (cheaper) brands. I've always really liked my HJCs, especially for the money. My most expensive helmet was an Icon, and it was overly heavy, and the noise was terrible, though it had decent ventilation. My current helmet is an HJC IS-17, which has an internal shield. I LOVE not having to wear sunglasses, and can adjust to changing light conditions on the fly. However, the helmet came with a light smoke color internal shield, which really wasn't dark enough for sunny days. I installed a dark smoke internal shield, and have been happy ever since. Only downside to the internal shield is a little less ventilation.

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    The ventilation on my RPHA-ST is mint - it feels like you have two little air jets blowing air into the helmet when you have the vent fully open.

4. 12bravo

12bravo New Member

I run old McGrath Bells in the dirt, Shoei RF-1000 on the street.

For noobs reading this thread: there are (2) basic shell produced by helmet world for head SHAPES- round or oval, you have to see which brand's model fits you. Ordering one online for your first lid is a bad idea.

IMS Minneapolis was a disappointment as they had crap for on hand inventory; lids, boots, batteries were NOT to be found. It was a joke.

I have not searched lately but IIRC it is now difficult to get a helmet w/o the top vents; they make helmets much more noisy. I have an old HJC which is more quiet than the RF-1000, but the shell shape is bizarre, and becomes uncomfortable after about 3 hours.

IIRC Moto Consumer News did a helmet review not too long ago and found SOME of the really CHEAP helmets were better on impact testing, and it REALLY turned the helmet world upside down. Anybody remember that?

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    No doubt about the top vents allowing more noise - that said - I'd rather put some ear plugs in than be sweating my butt off. LOL

6. vfrfly

vfrfly New Member

If it gets too cold out or you want to stop the airflow for whatever reason many vents can be closed. If your helmet does not have adjustable vents a small piece of black tape works great.

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    My RPHA-ST closes the vents off nicely. The chin is a 2 position (open / closed) and the top is a 3 position (open, 1/2 open, and closed).

The rear vents are always open for flow I guess, but I've been riding in temps at or just below freezing and they haven't been a problem.

8. Motographer

Motographer New Member

United States
    Map
    I've had a Bell RS-1 for the past two years and have had a really hard time finding anything else that ticks all the boxes it does. It's lighter than any of the Shoei or Arai helmets I've tried on, fits my head shape perfectly, ventilation is OK, FoV is about as wide as it gets, and with the exception of one bike I tried with a weird windscreen, it's very quiet and stable at speed. I also have the Transitions visor on mine which is a phenomenal accessory for someone who commutes through changing light conditions, although I wish it were darker at full tint. I'll have to replace it next summer, and may pull the trigger on a Shoei, but I'll have to do a lot of research before then.