What are your thoughts on the V-Tec

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Hero Danny, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm seriously considering buying one of these v-tec vfr's. I always hear terrible things about them though and how the 5th gen is better, blah blah blah. I am interested what you guys think who have actually owned or ridden a 6th gen.

I heard in 2006 they "fixed" the vtec by making it come on smoother, and come on earlier.. anyone rode both before that can shed some light on this difference? Can you get an ECU flash to fix it?

I know the V-tec makes valve adjustments an absolute pain in the arse but I'm willing to deal with that.

I don't know why but I have developed a love affair with the silver 6th generation vfr and must have one.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    O man, opening up a can of _______ You fill in the blank

3. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Don't really like it. It was designed for gas mileage and the EPA. I guess you can keep it on when cornering. it's no big deal but who needs a slightly "pipey" 4-stroke.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  4. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have an 2002 6th Gen, which is supposed to be the worst offender of the bad bad VTEC. In my opinion, the worst part about the VTEC is the valve inspection/adjustment nonsense, not that I've done it, but that's also part of the reason I've not done it. Otherwise it can be kinda fun. It's sort of a clearly defined "fun zone" and it can be enjoyable to transition into with the change in performance and exhaust note. I've never found it to be particularly violent, the less throttle you're using the less noticeable the transition is down until somewhere around half throttle, maybe less, after which the bike seems to make less power in 4 valve mode. The reason I mention that is because people often worry about cornering and transitioning. I find it pretty rare for myself to be cornering hard while using a pile of throttle, so typically if I cross the VTEC threshold while cornering it's a pretty gently transition.

If I got to choose features for an upcoming Honda VFR I probably wouldn't include VTEC, if mostly for cost and maintenance reasons. Otherwise, it can be kinda fun.

irishrOy likes this.
  5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    You get used to it and come to expect it over time.

Lint likes this.
  6. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Because they're beautful, that's why! :glee: I wouldn't let the VTEC hoopla scare you away. I love it on my 8th gen. The only problem with it is that revving it up over 6,800 rpm just to hear it kick in is very addicting and probably defeats any intended fuel saving purpose it may have :witless: Here's what it sounds like on mine:

[video=youtube;NMTfn26SWEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMTfn26SWEM[/video]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  7. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    I have an 06, cannot comment on the earlier Vtec's but I have no issues or complaints and do not see it as a danger or problem when riding. If anything it would have to do more with your riding style and how hard you hit the revs on twisties.

8. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    GEAR DRIVE!! that is all .... :potstir:

Lint likes this.
  9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Being a sport touring bike its probably not a big deal. But I do not like it. You can add a PCV or other type device and tune it so the transition is better, I did that and it does help smooth it out. But I would definitely get rid of it if I could. The linked brakes could go too!
    Dialing on power in say a nice sweeper and it comes on is not what I want. I have had a lot of hopped up 2 strokes through the years so I can deal with it but still don't like it. Engineers and tuners are alway trying to produce nice linear power delivery and then some tard (probably from the car division) puts it on the VFR.

10. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    If changing cam chain tensioners every 40K is a hobby, go for it!

Lint likes this.
  11. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    There's nothing to be "fixed" on the 6th gen. VTEC. It is what it is. I rode the one I owned solely in the Smoky mountain twisties and it never bothered me. It could go into VTEC in the middle of a tight turn and not upset anything for me. It's the rider, not the bike. The 8th gen has a smoother transition but, again, no big deal to me. Why don't you ride one and find out first hand? Throttle hand smoothness, or lack of, is the biggest problem with people that call VTEC engagement a "problem", IMO. I've owned a 5th gen. at the same time I owned a 6tth gen. and it made no difference to me which one I rode. The sixth gen. has larger diameter forks which are needed. Most people will never corner the bike hard enough to learn why this can be a critical issue.

12. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Wait... really? I better do more research... that's a little nuts.

I definitely will miss my gear driven cams :(

I think it's also worth noting that this would be strictly for commuting as I still have a CBR600RR.

That sounds awesome! Good choice on exhaust!

Yeah the maintenance part definitely sucks... How often do they bounce out of spec anyway?

Yeah one reason why I loved my older 750 was the linear powerband. Although I guess having some more up top thrills isn't a terrible thing.

Well, if I don't then who will??? :) ;)

13. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

I had both, the 5th gen in Puerto Rico, and this 2006 V-tec here Virginia, so, here is my list of pros & cons of each one.

First of all let's start mentioning that tastes for the look are very personal, the Vtec is more modern appearance, personally I prefer the 5th Gen look in this item.

LIGHTS: The 5th Gen has a good lights but the 2006 V-TEC have OUTSTANDING lights

SOUND: The 5th Gen has a lovely whining sound, I miss that sound in the Vtec, but I won the wonderful sound change after 6700RPM, and the KICK in 1st and 2nd., someones doesn't like it, for me is nice. this is NOT a RR bike, remember that. if you like FULL FLAT POWER, get a CBR. The Kick of power was never a problem even when lean actually it's lots of fun.

ELECTRICAL: As we all know, charging system is kinda shitty on both of them, IMO, the 5th Gen is more sensitive to the R/Rs and the V-tec is more sensitive with the Stators. I fried two regulators in the 5th, Puerto Rico is hot and the location of the R/R is not good in the 5th under the seat, I solved that with a Computer fan on top of RR, an advantage is that the charging circuit is shorter in the 5th, so you have less voltage losses, The V-tec R/R is in the front of the bike, is better cooled, but there is voltage losses from the Regulator DC side to the Battery (all the DC Voltage does not reach the battery, the loss is almost 1V). To change the Alternator stator in a 5th generation you need half an hour and a couple of beers, to change the stator in a V-TEC The ONLY nightmare is to pass the cable with that FAT CONNECTOR throug the V of the engine from the left side to right side of the bike, because the regulator is in the front fairing right side. It's possible to do, not rocket science, but takes time, patience and probably more beer, 2 hr job, some people remove the throttle bodies, THIS IS NOT NECESSARY, Changing the R/R is 15 miniutes job in both motorcycles. My Current VTEC had no problems with R/Rs, but I fried the first stator after a week I bougt, I installed a RickySport and it just last for a week, then I bougt a OEM one, and a Mofset R/R, and a voltmeter installed.

THE KEY THING HERE is To have the battery always charged, in good shape and with a good voltage, and the wiring with GOOD CONTACTS everywhere. When the batt begins to have low voltage, the disaster appears in one, two or often the three (Batt, R/R and Stator) things.

SPACE: The 5th Gen has a little more space under the seat, small but SOMETHING, the VTEC has zero room space if the manual is in place in the tail, but in the other hand the V-Tec is factory prepared to receive hard saddle bags.

RIDING POSITION: Very similar, I cannot notice the difference, probably the V-tec seat is more comfy, but just a little.

BRAKES: Both bikes have linked brakes (CBS), I love them, but I confess that some times I want to make the rear drag or sliding when brake, but it's almost impossible, are very safe brakes even with no ABS, The feeling in the front brake lever is softer in the V-tec than the 5th gen, even if you have a hard braking, one finger is enough to apply all the braking power with the right hand, probably that depends on the brake pads, but I remember to use the four fingers in my 5th Gen.

INSTRUMENTS: Even though the VTEC has two LCD displays, the information shown is the same, nicer look, but same thing. An advantage in the V-tec is the emergency blinker lights swith, which is not present in the 5th Gen.

ENGINE: Here's the big difference. Ok, The 5th Gen has a bulletproof engine, I promess you, with regular oil changes and low maintenance, not abusing it can run way more than 100K miles, forget about valves adjust for maaaany years, I never check them in three years on my 1999 5th gen. This engine is hot, like almost all the other viffers, specially in the back cylinders, so keep the cooling system and coolant good everything goes well, even though you feel the heat in urban rides, and the fan starting from time to time all the way in the city it's normal.

The V-tec is a more complex engine, and it has timing chain with chain tensioners (two), is not a big deal to change these tensioners, there is a way to do it with patience without remove anything but the air box, the upper one is the more tricky but it can be replaced with small fingers and good light.
    The Honda quality is the same in both engines, but the V-tec is more complex for valve adjusting. That is another history, when I'll have to do, probably I'll send it to a garage, i'm good with mechanics, but something wrong here can be a disaster and if is not a disaster, just think about to remove all that pieces apart again to do it well the second time, simply no, that is for a garage and a GOOD ONE.
    THE V-TEC IS NOT More powerful than the 5th Gen, actually it has 5HP less than the fifth gen, and 7 kilos heavier.
    The VTEC engine is just an exercise of Honda for power delivery and engine performance at low revs. When the V-Tec is ACTIVE what you have is the engine of the 5th gen (working with 16 valves), below 6700rpm is a 8 valve engine, smooth and lots of torque. so REMEMBER, this is not a CROTCH ROCKET BIKE, you can rise the front wheel easily, but if you want a aggressive power go for CBR or a Duke (again)

CYCLE: I didn't notice big difference between the 5 and the 6th gen, probably the front end is stiffer in the V-Tec , the V-Tec has bigger fork bars, and my perception is that the fork is more robust and reliable than the 5th Gen I had. Also I don't know if the one I had in Puerto Rico had softer springs and my current V-tec was modified, but my V-tec transmits every little stone of the road to the hands, and it dive less in hard braking. Handling, steering, leaning, maneuverability is simply fair and soft, not making extreme riding, but easily you can drag the foot rest warning bolts without risk, but that is advising that "you're almost there".

PARTS: Due the V-tec is more recent model, easily you can find lots of parts in e-bay and the second hand markt, at very low prices, is very easy to buy fairing replacements, also the Chinese plastic fairings are very good quality and they fit perfectly to the OEM installed, let me tell you that the colour imitation to the OEM paint is awesome, at least for my Black Metallic, i bought the solo seat and I cannot see the difference. There is also many parts for the 5th gen, but I think that you can get ease used parts for the Vtec. OEM parts are available for both of them, but you know.. older models need to be ordered in most of the Honda stores.

WIND PROTECTION: The V-tec offers a little bit more protection than the 5th, the windshield is a bit high. the rest of the body is the same in both of them.

CONCLUSION: I love these two viffers, 5th and 6th GEN, but probably if I have the possibility to choose one or the other, both in perfect condition, low milleage and easy available parts, i'll take the 5th, just because the valve labor if needed, and also because I love these round front end.

Hope his helps!!
    Good luck hunting!

14. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you!! I really enjoyed reading all that and it helps put things into perspective.

I do want to clarify that I was more or less hoping for a comparisons between the 02-05 6th Gen V-Tec and the 06+ onward V-Tec... Because honda says they reworked the vtec to come on smoother and at a lower RPM I was curious what people thought of the differences between the reworked vtec and the classic vtec.

I usually don't opt for lower mileage bikes as I think maintenance is more important... but I am pretty stuck on getting a 6th gen due to availability and aesthetics and I believe with lower miles I won't have to worry about the valves for a long time... I believe honda says 16k but I've been reading that owners report doing them at 50k and being fine.. seems kinda risky but what do I know :)

15. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

My current bike is a 06 V-Tec non ABS, I think that this is the "New V-tec", not sure but the transition is very smooth, EXCEPT when you are hard throttling in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, then you feel the "kick", riding with no stress I never know if I'm in the Vtec zone or not, just when I look the Rev gauge i think.. oops... I'm riding in Vtec!, when it happened? didn't hear.
    It's more noticeable when you take-off in 1st, opening the gas revving a bit hard and you reach 6700.

16. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

One more thing:
    I'm almost sure that mine is a new V-tec, so I don't know how was the previous one.
    The main difference is that the earlier V-Tec was symmetric to Get-In / Get-Out, So the V-Tec went ON at 6500 and went OFF at 6500 too, the new one is asymmetric, so it goes ON @ 6700 and disconnects at 6400, this avoids the constant and disturbing IN-OUT effect that everybody hates of those models.
    I remembered to read something about that.

17. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Us poor schmucks on non-vtecs who want a "kick" in acceleration have to do this horrible thing known as down shifting. Or abruptly chop the throttle. :whistle:

18. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Ohhhh this is very helpful thank you!

hahaha, believe me if I had it my way I would have the 5th gen engine in the 6th gen body, but alas, I cannot.

19. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

That is the dream of all VFR800 users around the globe in forums of Europe and Eastern Europe (thousands of VFR's), Australia, and also in Japan.
    Many riders (probably more experienced than me) say that the VTEC Cycle part is much better than G5, but the G5 engine is superior.

One thing is true, Honda is not building V4s Gear driven cam anymore, if you want to have the ultimate HONDA V4, 90° with Gear Driven Cam is the cheap RC213V-S for just $184K

20. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Perfectly happy with mine ... in fact, when my first one was written off in an accident, I went out and bought another.

2wheelrush likes this.