What are your thoughts on the V-Tec

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Hero Danny, Apr 26, 2017.

1. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I own both. I like the 6th gen, I LOVE my 5th gen.

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Have you tracked a vtec VFR? Just curious as to how smooth you have to be when at full lean and at the edge of grip. I have tracked (I was on my CBR) with many on vtecs. Trying to stay in or out of vtec or or dealing with it on the edge of traction is just an unwanted thing to deal with. There is enough going on to keep your mind alert to. I have not fracked mine but have rode it a lot in the mountains, sure it's doable but not as much fun as the same engine without vtec.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'm on a similar page with BWeiss, although I have both, I usually "play" on my 5 Gen but use the 6 Gen as my "workhorse". So most likely because I end up having more fun with the 5 Gen but as a commuter, I find the 6 Gen to be just right. When I do have a bit of fun on the 6 Gen, I am also not disappointed! The two items I do consider a minus for the 6 Gen is the cam chain and VTEC valve inspection.

4. SlideRule

SlideRule New Member

United States
    Map
    I had an '03 6th gen, '08 6th gen and currently have a '14 8th gen. The VTEC kick was most noticeable in the early ones, getting smoother over time. As Yauguru mentioned above about the early 6th gens: if you were trying to ride at a speed that coincided with 6500 RPM, the engine would vary with VTEC engaging & disengaging; however you can avoid it by upshifting or downshifting so that your RPM's weren't right at the threshold. Later 6th gens didn't have that issue with the 'window' engagement, and the transition on the 8th gen is even smoother yet. Downshift to keep the bike in VTEC while leaned over in the turns will eliminate the 'kick' that some dislike. Riding position between all three is basically the same, with complaints that the 8th gen seat feels thinner than the others. I don't mind it personally and prefer having a removable pillion instead of the large 'banana' seat from the 5th & 6th gens, plus its nice to have storage under the seat unlike the 6th gens. I didn't check the valves on either 6th gen, however when i checked the 8th gen at 43k a few were out of spec. Not too big of a deal, except the local dealer didn't have shims / VTEC buckets in stock, so there was a week or two of down-time while parts came in. Several people on here report that they go quite a while without checking the valves. I did have to replace the tensioners on the '08, as well as RR/Stator issues with both 6th gens. I have had zero issues with the 8th gen electrical system. Both 6th gens felt really hot all the time; the frame itself would get hot to the touch. The 8th gen is much better in that sense as well. I've done trackdays with both the '08 and '14, both were a blast and highly recommended. Any other questions, just let me know and I'll try to answer them.
    -SlideRule

5. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

That's exactly what I meant some posts above.
    Those are the things for that the VFRs (Any Model, any year) WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR.. wanna go to the limits but safe? buy a CBR or many other bikes that will grant you lots of more fun than a Viffer.

Have you tried to do touring trips in a racetrack Bike?

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    When I was younger I would go for long hauls on sport bikes. Now I just track sport bikes and sport/tour on the vfr. People track all sorts of bikes that are not pure sport bikes. Some of the guys with some of the baddest 1 k track bikes around love to take their well sorted SV's and just embarrass a 1k sport rider of less skill. A friend who's an instructor often rides his DRZ at Barber. The big bikes fly past on the straight just to be hauled in on the brakes and corner.

7. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

YEAAA THOSE DAYS!!!... I alsl did a 600 KM haul in a Hornet 919 when I was younger with no pain no stress and hanging out after that, TODAY if I do that, I will be taken to the hospital to remove the bike from my muscle cramped body. ha haa:grey::dread:

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    We were a bit nuts when we were younger. I remember taking trips on my RD 350. Had to bring oil with us. The sound of 3-4 RD's with chambers along with the smell was intoxicating. Gas mileage on the little smokers was horrible. The fun was awesome. The last one I had as a teenager I bored out 3 times, not sure what cc's it was but it hauled ass and drank gas.

RobVG likes this.
  9. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Absolute utter nonsense. People tracked the hell out of the 86 when it was released. The VFR is just as much a race bike as any consumer CBR.

10. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Wasn't the VFR of past more of a sport bike than it is today?

11. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

If we talk about "when it was released" I agree absolutely, VFR engine, "THOSE ENGINES" as the bike as well were created for races, and superbikes, TRUE!.
    But the VFR evolved to more fat bikes, the model 2014 tried to catch that spirit again, but the 1999, and 2006 are not the best rides for track, you can do it and enjoy like a boy, I saw people in the tracks with BMW R110RTs, HDs and Victory's.that is a personal decision, every one enjoy as each one wants.
    But if you will change your mind to not buy a V-Tec 'cose the kick of the Vtec when lean in the track... IMO the discussion is going too far.
    The thread started about the Vtec.

12. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

The answer is a big YES, the Engine was born for racing, almost exactly the same engine of the VFR750F, of 1987, then Honda launched the famous RC30 with the same engine, to be homologated for the superbike championship, actulally the RC30 is a VFR designed for racing, it was produced until 1994, beautiful bike, one of the legends. rare to find and very expensive.

http://www.masterssuperbike.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/RC-30.jpg

And of course the QUEEN of all the VFRs the RVF RC45, here with Kozinsky, world champion of WSBK 1997.

http://www.daidegasforum.com/images/1614/1997-john-kocinski-honda-rc45-wsbk.jpg

13. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    As I said, I ride in and live in some of the most challenging mountains in the country (all turns) and VTEC doesn't bother me. I've tracked every bike I've ever owned but one (non-Honda) at Barber Motorsports (and elsewhere) and go back to what I said: a smooth throttle hand has everything to do with control and lap time in any bike. I find tracking any generation of VFR to be a bore. It wasn't made to be a track bike in any way, shape, or form......5th or 6th gens. and , like I said, I've owned both at the same time.

14. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Probably water under the bridge by now but I think there should be a distinction made regarding a "track bike" and "race bike". I look at any bike you want to take to the track, whether it be a super bike, trail bike or what have you, is your track bike. Personally I prefer to ride the same bike on the track as I do on the road. To me the track is a place to hone and practice my skills, particularly in a safe place meant to be ridden in a spirited manner, vice public roads.

If one wants to race a VFR, more power to them. Would it make a good race bike? Probably not the best choice but it also depends on who and what you're racing against. Is the VFR a "race bike"?, it was at one time, well the RC bikes were but the lineage does carry some of that, not as much as many of us would like! Tracking your VFR, why not? You're not there to compete, who cares if that CBR, R1, Panigale, etc. are passing you, have fun and hone your skills.

So back on topic, to me there is nothing wrong with a VTEC and if ridden diligently, shouldn't be a problem on twisty roads. I know I've taken my 09 on some pretty fun roads without the worry of VTEC kicking in. Would I track my VTEC, probably, if it wasn't my main source of work transportation or was my sole VFR not for commuting. This is partially one reason I bought my 5 Gen, to have a VFR that I can push and have fun without worrying about having to cage it to work if something should happen. I also chose the 5 Gen because I wanted the last of the GDC models and a slightly different VFR than what I already had.

15. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The new GSXR1K also has variable valve timing, as used in MotoGP (ingenious how they got around the rule)......wonder why that would be, hmmmmm

16. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Maybe so, but check out this vid that smoke4ndmears just posted of his 8th gen on the other forum:

[video=youtube;UWElomrow6E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWElomrow6E[/video]

17. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't bother me one bit when it kicks in.

Riders should know when it will be kicking in, so if you don't like that happening in curves, don't go into turns in a RPM range for that to happen.

I feel if you ride your moto enough in all conditions, you'll learn it and trust it, as well as learn about yourself as a rider and trust yourself.

Not to say you'd be immune from accidents or slip ups, but it helps.

18. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    The old vtec can of worms lives on! lol Is it a big deal? No not really. The only time it really bugs me is WFO throttle because it will hit harder. Sure you can be aware of transition areas and as Drift Along says smooth throttle control will really smooth it out. But i still think it was a stupid idea on a bike with the word "sport" in it. I love my VFR, its a very nice machine. I use it a lot like OOTV, commute and have some fun.

19. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Buy yourself a vtec and you'll be going blah blah blah everytime the damned vtec kicks in, it's rubbish that was never needed, ruined a great engine.

20. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Teeheehee...can of worms lives on.
    I so giggly over that one.

I do agree it be stupid idea for moto with "sport" in it...and even with the word "touring". Ha!

Doesn't bother me, just one thing about it I've had to learn about. I certainly wouldn't miss it if it magically disappeared one day.