what did you do to your vfr today?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by f3racer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Hoping to do Laguna again but I might have reached my time away from home quota!

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    No more hall passes huh.
    That camera is perfect-- perfect weather to boot-
    Jelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yeah, front camera worked pretty good but rear camera crapped out again. I did find on day two that the power cable for the front came out so most of the day wasn't being recorded! When I got back I immediately ordered the new camera I was planning on getting. Hopefully no more camera problems and then I can get rear view footage on the next runs.

duccmann likes this.
  4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Was that the stock exhaust I heard or? ain't the gear whine nice to hear, sweet music. That being said, how did the 5th gen do? looked like it held it's own from what I saw, though there's no getting away from the Beemers if the rider knows the know.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yeah it's the stock can. The VFR did great and in fact, sfdownhill did a 2:04.79 and the race pace, albeit a different layout is somewhere in the 1:40+ range. One of the other workers was telling me that he thought we were doing an amazing job considering the bike we were on!

Unfortunately I don't have much footage of day two runs but there I was pushing it a bit more as I was a lot more comfortable with the track. We didn't really get a timing on the track when no one else was riding, so we don't have any "clean" laps to give a real indication of what we can do, as lunch time is really the most time we have the track sans students and there was no one to do the timing. Once sfdownhill knew I was timing him, he started timing me but with traffic and not being able to push too hard, I think my best time was 2:13+/-.

Although the students really didn't push too hard, except maybe a few, I usually was gapped on the straights but would typically catch them with my late braking. In the video clip you can see where the rider in front of me slowed to the point that I almost hit the back of him and I had to dodge right to avoid hittin the back of him. This happened at turn one, which is a hard left before we head up the hill. Most of the other clips and sessions are quite the same, they pull away on the straights and I catch them in the corners. On day two during lunch two of the instructors were there hauling the mail, no way I was going to catch them but I was pretty close up the rear straight then I was a dot in their rear view!

RVFR and Lint like this.
  6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yea I saw that one dude, like he was frozen in not able to know what was needed to happen, sheesh. Yea, saw a couple of what I thought where the track Marshalls of sorts just playing along. The one thing I saw was how you found your line. I know I don't know the rack layout, but after the one lap I had picked where I thought I'd go. after you got out on your own with no traffic, you went that way. Sweet stuff there.

7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Wow, I have never gotten that close to being a knee down! Love it! Next year will be a couple of riding courses for me. An Intermediate reminder, and then an advance class , so I can be more comfortable on controls and technique. I am a bit rusty. I for one will not do track time on the bike like you are showing, but it does give me incentive to be able and confident to have my knee and foot that close if needed after the track class and practice. I doubt that I will ever have my knee that close in twistys doing 80 and a quick sharp turn without notice, but you never know. Thanks for that post "Crazy Man Lint". You need a Super sport and anyone else doing this with a VFR. ;-)

Lint likes this.
  8. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Flushed the rear brake fluid, and put on a few GoPro mounts. Now heading out to utilize both[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

9. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Had a pair of Avon Storm 3DXM tires installed.
    Allegedly good for 15,000 miles.
    Handled nice on the 100 mile new tires are slippery ride today.
    Better than worn out PR4's. Which means approximately nothing.
    $406 OTD, pay to play, it could cost more.
    I will see how they work and last.
    There were no free cosmetics. My inner clown is sad. :Lol:

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I thought about my poor bike that has been sitting in the Honda shop opened up for exploratory surgery for 5 days now. No news yet on what the diagnosis is, but the longer they have this thing opened up, the poorer the prognosis is, Maybe I have come near to the end of a long enjoyable experience on this ride.

Hmmm. I think I can see a pearl white 8th gen on the horizon. This time I will get the hard cases right off the bat. Stay tuned. I just may part out my bike if they can't get this fixed. Too bad seeing as I just spent a bundle on the new seat.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    marriedman and Lint like this.
  11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Why not just put a used engine in it, or is it not engine related?

12. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    That's no good Randy, things are just not made to last these days. ;)

I decided the Zero Gravity double bubble screen I installed last week looked unfinished.
    So went to a rubber supply chain, Clark Rubber here in Oz and bought a strip of,... shit, I don't know what they call it but the picture can tell the story.
    Much happier now.

IMG_3551.JPG IMG_3552.JPG

Attached Files:

13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Randy went back to your last post 4114 no mention of your bike braking--- what's up?

14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I will send yo a PM in a minute or two.

15. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Just invited you to a conversation I have with Lint.

Lint likes this.
  16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    what, I wasn't invited? ;) must be a who ya know thing. I wasn't aware your viffer was having issues, it's not like you to hold anything back.

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    That's a first Randy-- hope the figure it out but maybe YOU SHOULD treat yourself to a new VFR.
    Retirement my be an issue with fun tickets

thtanner likes this.
  18. thtanner

thtanner New Member

United States
    Map
    Hate to say it, but the 8th gens are realllllyyyy good. ;)

Bubba Utah and Lint like this.
  19. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Hope things work out Randy! Otherwise, TREAT YOURSELF, you deserve it! :)

20. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I really don't think it is a big issue. Just fond the issue.

This may be over simplifying the issue but what is happening is that when cold, and starting off from a start in first gear, the bike will suddenly rev up to about 5 K and will launch me if I don't get right back on the clutch like, really fast. Bad enough for this to happen when you are going straight through, but if you are turning a corner, it is frightening. After it has done this a couple times, the problem goes away for the rest of the day for the most part. I have changed the wax sending unit to no avail and the bike is now in the shop. Honda Canada has no solutions for the tech.

So, I apply reasoning to this and this is what I come up with:

1. The bike is cold and when the clutch is let out, the sudden surge in RPM.
    2. This surge is consistent with the letting out of the clutch
    3. It does not take a genius to figure that RPMs will not increase if there is no fuel supply increase so there is a sudden release of fuel to the engine when the clutch is released.
    4. Whatever it is in the engine that tells the fuel to increase has told the fuel to get the lead out and flood through those injectors
    5. The bike is EFI so something is telling the injectors, "Hey...prepare. Fuel on the way"
    6. But this is only when cold so "Hey injectors, it is warm so no flooding of fuel for you today"
    7. And once it has done this a couple times in immediate succession, then the issue disappears for basically the rest of the day.

So, my thinking is that something electronic in the bike, that is connected with the injectors, is fucking with my mind.

Feel free to offer up your opinions. I may take them to the tech and offer them to him too. However, he will likely check anything I suggest, and of course, $$$$$,

BTW. This did not suddenly show up after I did or had work done on the bike. It was a gradual thing that at first I thought was my imagination to increasing in intensity and consistency.