What engine oil to choose

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by panicos, Mar 5, 2012.

1. panicos

panicos New Member

Romania
    Hi everybody,

What engine oil is best suited for a VFR 6th gen? I know that in the service manual is recommended something 10w40, but i heard discussions that it's better to put 10w50 for a better lubrication; the rear part of the V engine isn't cooling like the front part and therefore it makes the oil more liquid at high temps (that's an argument for the 10w50 choice). A better lubricantion may avoid clanking sounds from internal engiene pieces (such as distribution chain tensioners sound). And after that, what brand of oil do you suggest and should it be semisynthetic or full synth?
    What are your oppinions regarding this matter?

Excuse my english;it's not my native language :)

Thank you

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Full synth is fine - I use mobil 1 10w - 40 -- I wont add any more than that.

Old story - ask a longtime mechanic what's the best oil? And he says ''Clean"

I'm outta here..
    :popcorn:

3. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    If the manual says to put 10W40 it is hard to go wrong with that. If you have consistent ambient temperatures above 90 degrees F (32 C) for smoother shifting and less thermal breakdown the manual also probably recommends going to a 20W50. In hot, consistent temperatures 20W50 is better to go with than 10W50. Synthetic and moto specific is always preferred.

4. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Search for my user id and oil. There is a thread where I put some very informative links.

Stated simply. Diesel engine oil in 15W-40 is cheaper than most "synthetics" and gives performance almost equal to high end racing oils at MUCH lower cost.

Jose

5. Spike

Spike New Member

go with the manual, the engineers at Honda know far more about how your engine was designed and built than any arm chair internet mechanic does

6. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Glad there are non of thoes armchair mechanics working on my bike! wrong mechanical principle!

now cause no one has said it yet: SLICK 50! good for all temps, riding styles and events, hell even having the slick50 sticker on your bike is worth a few extra hp!

now thats over with: oil is a religous taboo around here, everybody has there favorites. Im still using the GN4 until I hit 25000km then going to rotella desiel 10w40. My reasons are my own, just know that rotella is safe for wet clutches and 40yrs in the aero-space industry its still number 1 on the "comes with the plane" oil

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Simple: Use the oil that TASTES the best !! An xtra virgin Sicilian hand-selected unfiltered natural organic first-cold-pressed oilve oil product that grows on trees.

That's the best way cuz if it tastes good it IS good ! Never mind the missing ash and EP additives, the aroma means family !

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
    Paul Myers likes this.
  8. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    Let me tell you all a true story about oil.

I was at a well known high performance shop one day where they build exotic racing machines.
    I was talking to the machinist and we were talking about oil and the machinist told me that if he chucks a piece of round stock in his lathe that has had synthetic oil on it, he cannot keep it from slipping.

I was sold.

9. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I like oil. I use it every now and then. I think it s good. I plan to use more in the future.

10. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    You guys get 10w-40 up there? We get 15w-40 regular and 5w-40 T6.

11. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I can only find the 15w-40 Rotella in my neck of the woods.

Jose

12. Shooter McGavin

Shooter McGavin New Member

Canada
    Always check your manual, or google a free PDF of the manual for your year... always! Lots of sites like manualslib.com

6th Gen takes: 10W-30 (or 10W-40 in warmer temps)

Honda recommends "Pro Honda GN 4 4-stroke oil" which is a conventional oil. I have always used a semi-synthetic 10W-30 like Motul 5100.

The manual also listed some other info on additives to avoid, ect.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/641906/Honda-2007-Interceptor-Vfr800.html?page=114#manual
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/641906/Honda-2007-Interceptor-Vfr800.html?page=115#manual

13. Paul Myers

Paul Myers New Member

Canada
    Map
    This is probably the most important property of all. Oil addatives deplete over time, heat oxidizes the oil and sludge builds up.

A friend that was a Chemist with a big lubrication company and worked on the oil formulation for the Ferrari F1 team said non synthetic is fine if changing regularly and not racing. Synthetic has the advantage that its viscosity stays more consistent over the temperature range so if you are riding in temperatures that vary a lot this may be a consideration.
    As someone pointed out the Honda oil is non synthetic but there is nothing wrong with semi or full synthetic either

The one thing he did not agree with was adding friction modifiers like "Slick 50". The oil manufacturers have proprietary blends of additives that are designed not to interfere with each other and are the "best" compromise. When you add more additives there is the potential it will interfere with the existing ones and cause them to precipitate out. Now your oil may have one property improved but you have lost another one which is just as important.

He was trying to get me to go to a lower viscosity oil in the race car to reduce friction losses. Because synthetic viscosity is more stable over the temperature range and in F1 they are looking for every Horse they can find. My personal preference was not to, as the minimal HP gain was not worth my piece of mind.

Long winded way of saying - Go with what makes you comfortable. As long as the oil is in the viscosity range given by the manufacturer and the right API rating it comes down to personal preference. But change it often - cheap maintenance.

LMAO at this one........I'm assuming Squirrelman uses 10W40 on his salad.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Pro Honda Oils - Street

GN4 - Non Synthetic - <2006 10W-40 - 2007< 10W-30
    HP4 - Synthetic Blend - <2006 10W-40 - 2007< 10W-30
    HP4S - Full Synthetic - 2007< 10W-30

*HP4M not recommended for wet clutches, moly additive.

15. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I use pure synthetic. About 8 years ago, before getting back in to bikes, I read a 70 page engineering study by a professional lubrication engineer. He went into great detail about the structure of non-synthetic variable viscosity oils and the polymers that are required to make them. The thing I remember most was that polymers start breaking down as soon as you start the engine. Pure synthetics are just that, pure. Clean oil is the top priority, follow your manual’s recommendations. I just changed my oil in my 2014 8th gen after 8000 miles. That is Honda’s spec. Slightly discolored, but clean.

16. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    If I was a high mileage guy, I would use synthetic. I am not, so I don't. I only ride the VFR a couple of thousand miles per year and I changed to oil every fall before putting the bike up for the winter. In only 2k miles, oil breakdown is going to minimal no matter what kind of oil you use.

17. Triplak

Triplak New Member

Poland
    I use Repsol 10W30 HMEOC

18. VeryFuckingRadical

VeryFuckingRadical New Member

United States
    Anyone ever have any problem with clutch slippage after swapping to synthetic or a synthetic blend?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

19. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    No slippage..........
    As for oil, I recommend you use some. Motorcycle specific would be just fine.

20. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Be advised that going to a 20W-50 oil is going to lead to increased heat. I ran an old air cooled Suzuki back
    in the 80's, and put a oil temp gauge on it. It ran a roller bearing crank so pressure was relatively low, and
    changing to 20W-50 oil increased the oil temperature significantly. Stick to 15W-40 and you'll be golden.
    Change the oil frequently and it also will be golden. :)

raYzerman likes this.