What gas mileage?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by RGonVFR, Jan 18, 2008.

1. chesthing

chesthing New Member

Winter gas?? I'm not understanding the big discrepancy, myself. I get about 41mpg redlining the crap out of the bike in the canyons or w/ an adult passenger, and about 45 mpg taking it easy. I fail to understand how someone could get 35 or under on a bike w/ the same approx. displacement and weight. If I got anywhere near 30 mpg I'd be trying to find out what'n hell is wrong.

Chris, in my experience it isnt so much the larger jets, but the different needles that make mileage go to crap. Go back to stock jets and needes.

2. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    From what I’ve seen 5th gen bikes seem to get a little better mileage than 6th gens so right there is a difference (I know this is in the 5 gen fourm but figured everyone else was posting). And while riding hard in the twisties does decrease gas mileage, I bet riding hard in stop and go traffic could burn even more. Finally, fully geared and with a tank bag I go about 260 lbs. I bet someone who weighs 180 gets better mileage, especially in stop and go traffic. The winter gas I was referring to is the “oxygenated” fuel that the stations switch over to in the winter. On both cars and the bike I see a reduced mileage with this gas.

I use 2 to 3 tanks of gas a week when the weather lets me commute to work all five days. I ride the same route and check my mileage every tank, the only major difference is the amount of traffic. In the summer when I work a shift that lets me avoid traffic I consistently get 38 +/- 1 mpg. Last 2 weeks I’ve had to work more or less regular hours (heavy stop and go traffic) and it’s been cold. My average mileage has been about 35 with a low of 30 (probably due to letting it idle while installing/testing my heated grips). Best I’ve seen is 42 on trips where I’m slabbing it.

My point to this long winded posts is comparing gas mileage over the net is at best a guessing game. The best use for keeping track of your mileage is to give you an indication when there is something wrong with your bike.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  3. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    is that even a good idea with the intake and exhaust modified as they are? i was under the impression that a bike would just run like crap with mods like that and stock jetting... :noidea:

4. Link

Link New Member

I got 50+ on a tank of fuel with gas to spare! and yes I was going downhill on I-80 from Colorado to Iowa.

5. chesthing

chesthing New Member

If I were you, I'd plug the holes back up and put the snorkel back on the airbox, then go back to stock needles. You could jet up maybe one size from stock since you have the aftermarket exhaust, but no more. Do that and you'll see a huge jump in gas mileage, almost guaranteed.
    Since I live at altitude, I jetted down when I put a Vance & Hines on my CBR1000F and installed the cobrajet needles. My mileage went from 42 to 32! put the stock needles back in, problem solved. 27 is insanely low, even for a Goldwing!

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    The opposite was true in my case.

My previous 6th Gen Mk2 used to get 212 to 225 miles to first flashing on tour while my Gen 5 Mk 1 only 190 to 197 in similar conditions except when my Pair valve was gummed open in '06 when it would only get 140 miles before first flash.

7. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    I cant believe the mileage some of you guys are getting , i must have a hole in my tank or something. only put about 400 km (240miles) on last 2 weeks or so thats two tanks ill check mine more accurate next tank. i guess i have a lead wrist

8. MarkBartels

MarkBartels New Member

I have a 1994 VFR and typically get 40-50mpg. On a trip last summer (over 1400 miles) consisting of almost all 2 lane roads running 65-75 mph calculated an overall mpg average of 46.7.

One thing to keep in mind is that the VFR is all stock, right down to the exhaust......

9. mikeym

mikeym New Member

geez...

I'm typically riding twisties... Keep the rpms from 4.5 - 6k when cruising the backroads... and spike it up to 8k when hitting the twisties with shifts at round 9k for those sections...

I'm getting 31 mpg...

I just should be getting much better than this... I rode the piss out of my concours and got much better gas mileage than this...

I should at least be getting 9 mpg more per tank (40).

~mikeym

10. David02VFR

David02VFR New Member

not really...
    just plugged all the evap lines and unplugged electronics, but need to take it on a long freeway trip to see if milage improves any. will try this weekend.

a note... by doing this the Fi dash light blinks on and off. local honda said the bike is running fine but gave me no ideas on how to fool the computer in to thinking the evap and electronics are still hooked up.

:frusty: if this does not work then will put evap back to stock and replace the motad pipes with stock pipes, but leave the staintunes in place.

11. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I think Ron owes me a beer :biggrin: I always thought I got great gas mileage and felt good about my 48 mpg since I use to only check my mileage on perfect highway conditions, but every since this thread started I've been checking my gas mileage religiously and was shocked to find out I only average 31 mpg on my commute to work:eek:

12. mikeym

mikeym New Member

Keep me posted on how you fix this... I'm in the exact same boat... 31 - 31.25 mpg

~mikeym

13. marty_uiuc

marty_uiuc New Member

just yesterday i picked up a '98 vfr, and rode it ~600 miles back to where i live. it has a power commander, the tune on which i know nothing about, and a 2bros slip-on. i was seeing right around 45mpg the whole time, cruising at 80-90mph depending on traffic.

since i have no idea if my gearing is stock, that translated to around 5800-6500rpm

14. Mac

Mac New Member

Rode to see Momma yesterday, 120 miles on interstate, speeds 75 - 80mph, got 50 mpg, on 87 octane.
    RGonVFR, I would go for an Italian tune up. I recommend BG-44K.

Mac

15. mikeym

mikeym New Member

What is stock gearing on front and rear?

~mikeym

16. jkimbro

jkimbro New Member

Map
    17, 43

Mine is changing to 17, 45 today. :D

17. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    I am 100% stock. Just over 1200 miles so far. On the last tank I got 41 mpg and that was with a fair bit of fast (VTEC) accelerations and lots of stop and go. I could baby it and get more economy...but it is so fun to have some spirited riding. I drive S L O W L Y in the truck.

18. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    50 + Mpg

I haven't seen any sport bike that get 50+ especially the VFR.

19. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I got 48-52 mpg on my 97 VFR all stock over a 500 mile ride last weekend with my 3 bags on her!

20. timothy wahl

timothy wahl New Member

United States