What is the best SPORT-tour tire for the VFR

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by reg71, Mar 17, 2009.

?

Best SPORT-tour tire in your opinion

1. Pirelli Diablo

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. Bridgestone Battlaxe

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Michelin Pilot Road

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Continental Road Attack

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  5. Dunlop Roadsmart

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Metzeler M3

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  7. Pirelli Corsa III

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Michelin 2CT

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Pirelli Strada

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  10. Shinko (any)

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    I'd have to agree the Michelin Road 2's while a little slower on Turn in than my previous Powers wet or dry are just brilliant.

Anyone know how much milage you get from them, have 4400 miles on Front and 3200 on rear and they still look new with the Powers I'd be looking to replace before my next big ride. :confused:

2. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    :faint: Uh, is that in canadian dollars? I don't know about you but I bought a set of Metzeler M3's for $230ish including shipping.

3. someguy

someguy New Member

Pirelli Diablo Stradas

incredibly stable at speed, knee down with confidence... i loose my nerve long before they lose theirs...
    Outstanding wear (7K on first set), 5 days hard twisty riding on this set, no sign of wear. limited rain experience but what i have has been very confidence inspiring (more twistys)... prices 130 front, 150 rear installed. (guy went out of business... too bad)
    Would buy them again in a heartbeat.
    I mostly commute, but when the planets align, i ride hard on the Dragon/Skyway and similar... very forgiving tire, for me anywhere.

and of course, all this is 'in my humble opinion'. I've ridden Pilots, Metzlers M3's ...
    i'm pretty impressed with the Strada.

And I'd put the Corsa a hard second...

4. SwitchBladeVfr

SwitchBladeVfr New Member

United States
    Map
    HEY, I have a set of Shinko advance 005 with about 1000 miles on them, so far so good. You have to let them warm up before hard riding but I paid $152 for them from bikebandit. Right now they have the Mich. Pilot Powers on sale(35% off) and the Shinko's front and rear for $175 and change today.

5. herbieflower

herbieflower New Member

Map
    I just have to say, that I'm not getting what I need from Bridgestone BT20's. Now I'd like to try Pirelli Angel's... if not then - Conti Street Attack or Metzeler Z6 Interact...

I ride - 40% snakes, 30% long tour, 30% city and around (well I could go with 33,333 for all three :))

6. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    I'm running Pilot Road IIs on my bike, i've done a few thousand on them and I haven't even noticed any wear down the road patch area, I've got chunks of rubber missing from tread on the sides though . :tongue:

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Aha, I knew some one else had to think Pirellis where the shit's. :cool: if you think Stradas stick well, which of course they do. The Corsa's is another notch up on stickie ladder

So I'm wondering why the majority is with 2c's, could it be price? or could it be they don't know whats what? :rolleyes:

8. someguy

someguy New Member

Sounds like you get some strong miles out of the Corsa's...
    wonder why i'm only getting 7k....
    riding style probably, and, i'm not sleight. :) 210lbs

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    well, we did some talking about this once before but it never went anywhere. we were trying to decide what things to put in it and how best to implement it to make it leave out opinion as much as possible. I'd like it as objective as possible but undoubtedly some subjectiveness will slip in. For me, I judge a tire on price, grip, longevity. If I have a pretty grippy tire that I can get for $100 less than maybe a slightly grippier tire and get more wear, I am all over that. My mileage by no means is ever what other people say they get, though. I need to try the same tires they are saying and see. I must be like Tom Cruiise in Days of Thunder. Who's gonna be Robert Duvall and tell me how to run em 50 laps?

10. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I do have a question regarding tires....all tires.

Do manufacturers change the properties of their tire models depending on where they are selling the tire in the world? In other words.....if I buy a set of tires....Michelin, Bridgestones, Metzlers, any brand.....here in Canada and I buy the SAME set in Brazil. Are both sets of tires IDENTICAL regardless of the location?

Obviously, road conditions play a huge factor in tire wear, especially road temperatures. I'm just wondering if people get various experiences (good or bad) with a certain tire because of their location. Environment & road conditions are very different from Texas to Michigan.

Just wondering out loud. :unsure:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  11. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Yeah, mine were something like $350 plus install. If you got M3's for $230 then please let me know where!!

12. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I would definately like to try the Pirellis', but I've had real concerns with them in terms of blow outs. (Audi S4), I'm assuming thier bike tires are more worthy.

13. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
  14. jaimev34

jaimev34 New Member

Map
    Are tires getting much more expensive?

Is it me or are the tires getting pricey, specifically the Michelin Pilot Road 2s. $160 for a front is crazy. A rear costs over $200. They weren't this expensive last time I put them on.

15. parsnips

parsnips New Member

Here's a challenge... anybody know of a place to get tires + mounting in New York City? I just asked a place upstate and they said a pair of Pilot Road 2s + mounting is $563... seems a tad pricy.

16. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

For me, the Pirelli Diablo Strada get it done. Dry grip is incredible, wet grip is great, mileage is decent. The mileage thing is the whole reason I don't run Corsa's. It'd be a shame to wear out such a sticky tire on the slab.

It's hard to argue with the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT or the Dunlop Roadsmart as well. As for me, I'm not convinced by Continental Attack series. They seem good, but not great. Michelin did a little "independent test" when the PR2's came out and the continental road attack didn't seem to stack up well against the Stradas or PR2s.

17. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

All tire prices have gone up from the distributor level I know. However, I think there is one site still selling them at decent prices in the link below. EDIT: Never mind they raised their prices too! It was less than $300 for a set a few weeks ago!!!!

Discount Motorcycle Tires - MotorcycleTires.com

18. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I think it's supply and demand that's causing the price fluctuations. Spring time is arriving and you know what that means, people are dusting off their bikes and ordering some new meats.

I really dodged a bullet there with my new M3's. I got them a few weeks ago @ 230ish shipped and now they're at $277 NOT including shipping. :eek:

19. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

It's also just a general increase. I know both lines of my previous Pirelli's are $15-20 higher on average than they were in late 2007 and early 2008.

20. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I am impressed with the Pirelli Diablos that I got from Cyclegear for $165 or $175 a set. I dont know how they can sell them so cheap, but I bought two sets. I still have one set sitting on a shelf waiting to go on. The cheap Shinkos I bought I'm still trying to wear out. I don;t like the grip or turn in as much on the shinkos but Damn they sure last... They are the 007 Ravens so they are not Z rated but I rarely go very fast anyway... Although I have had them over 120 on a couple curves and they seemed just fine...