what is your age?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by DANIMAL, Aug 2, 2007.

1. chris in va

chris in va New Member

I'm almost 37 and took the MSF course 1.5 years ago. Rode a little dirt bike for 3 months before that, otherwise never had been on a bike before.

My roommate swears I'm going through a mid life crisis buying this VFR. "It's a freakin crotch rocket! You look so much better on your Magna."

No matter what I say, she can't be convinced it's a SPORT TOURING bike.:rolleyes:

2. vf750orig

vf750orig New Member

Map
    Well, MrDe has got me beat. I thought I might be the oldest at 59, 60 on Thursday. I started riding in 1969, right after getting out of the Navy. I needed cheap transportation and bought a Honda S90. I've had more bikes than I can name, somewhere around 30 I guess. I currently commute on a '04 VFR I bought last November, new with 0 miles on it for $6k. I couldn't pass up the deal. That was about my fifth or sixth Interceptor. I also have a 1979 CBX I've owned since new in '78, and a 2007 CBR1000RR Repsol addition, for when I really need to feel old!

3. sspilotmi

sspilotmi New Member

I just turned 52. I think about this once in a while, how long will I ride? I started with a '69 Honda mini trail when I was 14. I have been riding off and on since.

I took 8 years off when my kids were growing up. I didnt want to leave them fatherless. So I bought a Miata as it was close to a motorcycle on 4 wheels. But it never did scratch my itch for motorcycles.

My 23 year old son came home with a Yamaha FZ600. That was it for me. If you cant beat them join them. So I went looking for my next bike. I always wanted a VFR from back in the 80's. I picked up an 04 this spring, Asphalt Black. It is a cool looking bike, I get all kinds of comments. I take my helmet off and people see an old guy.

I can leave my son and his buddies behind me when we ride. They are on varous 600 rotch crockets.

I am a pilot as well and feel I can ride and fly well into my 60's.

4. pm_wizard

pm_wizard New Member

Map
    56 and it is so much fun, I wonder what I will do when I grow up!

John

5. Rwortman

Rwortman New Member

I will turn 50 this fall and have been riding since I was 18. It is in my bones to ride and I will do it until I am either disabled or my skills deteriorate to the point that I become a risk to others. I live near Lime Rock park in CT and I have seen Paul Newman race a very fast car in front of 32 out of 34 much younger guys at the age of 80. No one can say when the physical abilities will go but if he has the reflexes to race at 80 it seems possible to ride at that age for sure. I don't want to die in bed. I would rather hit a bridge abutment at 90mph and 85 years old on a bike.

6. Dannyl

Dannyl New Member

Started at 10 on a 50cc Honda Minitrail.
    A WACK of bikes in between.
    Took a break (in more ways than one :wink: ) and now I'm back (see the very first post I made)
    48 now. VFR is my bike of choice....
    Glad to see I'm part of the "mature" crowd that ride VFR's. :smile:

Let's RIDE!

7. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    cool, you boys are making me feel young again
    this is a great thread i was wondering if most of us were young and i was going to be the only old fart hanging out
    im not much for the internet but this site is cool

8. csb

csb New Member

Australia
    Map
    The big 50 this year, started riding at 15, mostly dirt bikes, my first road bike at 22, bought my first vf750 in 1983, a lady friend once said to me, your only as old as the person you feel!, i,ll ride till i cant get on the dam bike.

9. dcengineer

dcengineer New Member

I think I've got you beat: I'm 21 with a 6'th gen (no bags...yet). I may have to sell the VFR in a few years to finance some world traveling, but until then I'll be raising hell on the streets of MD (just look for the man in black).

10. adhenri

adhenri New Member

United States
    Map
    55 and going strong

I started riding at 14. I had a Honda Sport 90 and Trail 90. At 16 I started racing a Honda 250 motocross. By 18, I had a Husqvarna 400 motocross and was too aggressive for my own good. I have never gotten over the need for an adrenaline rush. At 52 I bought a 2003 VFR800FI and started commuting to work year round. I am now 55 and still riding daily. In NW Arkansa we have summer temperatures in the 80 to 100s and winter temperatures of 40 to 50 with a few weeks that drop to the low 20's. Regardless, I ride every day. I keep a Ford F150 for snow days.

I am a business exec for a large national company. I buy black leather gear that does not make me look like a power ranger, but does allows me to look serious about the sport.

I love the twistys and speed. I guess I will ride until I drop. :biggrin:

11. papaw

papaw New Member

Map
    60 in Oct. Been riding for 48 years. Currently riding an "07" Anniversary model VFR.

12. Superceptor02

Superceptor02 New Member

I am 25 and have been riding since I was in middle school. All dirt until I got to college. Then I got my first street bike and was hooked. I look forward to riding for a long time to come. Ride Safe!

13. John O'Leary

John O'Leary Guest

Well i'm 45, been riding almost non-stop since i was 13. Started off road as most of us do and have had a long list of bikes too long to mention. Been riding VFR's for about 12 years now.

The biking bug is either with you or not. I noticed it last night oddly enough. Went for a meal with my gf and parked my bike outside the restaurant. Numerous people stopped as they were walking past to have a look. I've always found bikes interesting, and many people do. If you're lucky enough to own one then i think most of us will ride until we die. I know when i go, i'll still be zooming around somewhere.

I love bikes and i always will...

14. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    73 here. My birthday is in three weeks. Way past the mid-life crisis.
    Started riding just after WWII on a Whizzer delivering newspapers.
    Have had many bikes, including BSA, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki.
    During the late 60s raced a Yamaha 250 GP bike in AFM and AMA road races.
    In the 70s to the 90s I was a MSF Chief Instructor and also helped develop the California motorcycle safety program.
    My favorite pastime now is sport touring on the sweet VFR.
    Will not stop riding until they pry my gloves off the handlebars!

15. grinder

grinder New Member

I was at a Experienced rider course a couple of weeks ago and the instructor, in his 60's, said the oldest new rider he has taken was in his 70's and the oldest rider he new was in his 90's. Makes me feel young.

16. guardian86

guardian86 New Member

Map
    I'm 21 with a 2nd gen (bike's as old as me). Just started this year by taking the MSF course. Still trying to drive it like I'm afraid of it.

17. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    I'm 34.5. Been riding since age 19 (Ninja 250 was my first bike). My deployed job is waaaay more dangerous than riding, so as long as the good Lord sees fit to bringing me back home to family, there will be riding to be done with my comrades who where there with me. Its healing for the soul....

About the time I retire, it'll be time for a payout for the 7 years of dodging IEDs and getting shot at...Harley!! I think my wife sees the writing on the wall....plus I just got her a new kitchen.

Bottom line, twists of the wrist down a road with no end in sight for this guy.

18. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Guardian, don't be afraid of it. Just respect it and the riding environment. Enjoy the experience.:tongue:

19. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    SFPA, thanks for your service! Hope you guys get back safely. Former Marine here.

20. Rat

Rat New Member

42. (43 fast approaching...)

Started on a minibike at age 8 or 9, moved on to a Honda Z50 at 10 or 11, YZ80 at 12ish.

First "proper" (full size) bike was an '82 GPz550, and have since had quite a few bikes, of all shapes & sizes.

I recently had an unwelcome hiatus from riding for a while due to financial considerations.
    I was beginning to feel old and tired, and generally cranky, irritable, and fed up with life, people, etc.

I recently bought a '94 VFR (fixer-upper), and have resumed fun rides, commuting to work, etc.
    I now feel young, vibrant and alive again.

I've come to the realization that I truly "Live to Ride, and Ride to Live".
    I need to ride like I need to breathe.

I also now know that the type or capabilities of the bike are largely irrelevant, as long as it leans towards the sporty end of the spectrum.

I'll ride until I'm simply too physically or mentally feeble, and even then, I suspect I'll live out my final days watching racing videos, as I sit there essentially incoherent and drooling on myself, albeit with a weak smile and that familiar gleam in my eye, still imagining...