What is your oil preferance?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by -Mac-, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

Cheap Mobil 1 syn at walmart!?!?! Give me what you're smoking. Its almost $10 a quart here.

2. moskittiero

moskittiero New Member

Motul 5100 10W40
    but here was quite expancive - 145PLN (50USD) per 4 liters (1,05 US gallon)

3. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    You guys get beat up on oil, Mobil 1 syn (5 quart jug) $22+tax at wally world here. It was $19 till a year ago.

4. Booyah

Booyah New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey guys... Just did my first oil change on my 06 VFR (don't worry I didn't wait 4 years to do the first oil change...the bike is new to me).. however that being said by the looks of the oil that came out of her could have been the first...
    :boom:

Anyways!

Up here in small town Canada we have a limited selection of motorcycle specific oil filters and oil. I did find Amsoil Syn moto oil 10w40. Didn't feel like paying $11 a litre. So I got some Castrol Synthetic Blend 10w30 it was a reasonable $7.50 a litre :rolleyes:

I decided that automobile oil was good enough for my baby after reading several post from people stating 'they've been using auto oil in their bikes for 30 years' type of thing. Also there's a website out there somewhere that says it's no big deal... and everything you read on the Internet is the truth don't you know.:tongue:

For the filter I found that our filters are quite a common fit. The filters available to me were Honda,'No name', Fram, WIX, and K&N. 'No name' and WIX I found at Piston Ring. Fram I found at Canadian tire. K&N I managed to find at a local custom shop. They had about 300 Harley specific K&N filters on the shelf and one KN-204 which fits my bike. So I bought the last one. I also bought the WIX just to have.

I decided to buy the K&N ($20) and WIX ($13) after reading the filter study:

Oil Filters Revealed

So out of necessity that's what I used. To be honest though, next oil change I'm going to use cheaper dinosaur oil (10w30) and a WIX filter.

5. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    You can us auto filters (2000 Mazda 626) fit our bikes. Purolator or even the cheap Wal-Mart filter. Also, You can use the Shell Rotella T6 syn 5-40. Cheap oil change with quality products. Of course there are PLENTY of others out there. I was merely point to some things to look for up your way.

6. Booyah

Booyah New Member

United States
    Map
    Unfortunately Purolator pulled out of Canada 3 or so years ago so won't be able to find those. Also the only filters available at the local Wal-Mart are Fram.

Don't recall seeing Shell brand oils at any local auto parts store. However next time I'm out and about I'll hit up a Shell service station and check out the situation.

Thanks though.

7. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, l Fram is Canadian ...Shell's website says they sell Rotella in Canada.. Also, funny you say that about purolator. Their website shows some Canadian outlets.

8. Booyah

Booyah New Member

United States
    Map
    I want to avoid FRAM at all cost. From what I understand their products are inferior to most. As far as the Purolator thing is concerned I was told by the manager of a local auto parts store that their product hasn't been offered in Canada for a few years. He could be wrong I suppose. I will keep my eyes peeled. Purolator makes a superior product. There's no question about that.

9. daveyto

daveyto New Member

synthetic...

walmart synthetic is good and cheap apparently made by pennzoil

10. daveyto

daveyto New Member

btw...dont use low end fram filters they are garbage!!!

11. santov

santov New Member

Oh! I was just about to start an oil thread!!

Well after being loyal to Honda Oil and Filters I took the leap and switched to Mobil1 MC 10w-40 and Mobil 1 oil filter (thanks for the part numbers I found here). My last change had only 1,000 miles, but was almost two years old (I know, I know, I need to ride more). The improvement on the shifts is amazing. I'll report back in a couple fill ups to see if there's a change in MPG. I'm glad to be rid of the cheap feeling Honda oil filters, and I use Mobile 1 full synthetic in all my cars. Glad I made the switch!

12. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
  13. daveyto

daveyto New Member

Mobil 1 is probably the best value in synthetic....The improvements using amsoil or Motul are very marginal...

Dino oil is probably fine if you don't abuse it....but I like extended drain intervals and saving the environment even if a little...so I go with synthetic..

BMW NA advises 25000km oil changes in their cars using synthetic oil....food for thought...

OH....and buy the best oil filter you can afford!!!

And mobil is $10 a quart here also...

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  14. Grilldemon

Grilldemon New Member

I have developed a liking for Motul semi-synthetic or full synthetic. It's expensive, but the engines seem to run smoother and shifting seems easier. (unless you're talking yamaha dirt bikes, they don't shift nice until they are warm,especially air cooled ones) My buddy went to the local Honda dealer to get oil and filter for his honda quad. They told him syn oil was a waste of money. As long as you use motorcycle oil, it's ok. I use cheap auto oil for winter storage and drain it in spring, but go synthetic for riding. I run my Mazda pickup (ranger clone) on PetroCanada 0w40 full synthetic and get 28 mpg with it. There must be something to it....

15. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

Got a guy on another forum that has almost 200k on his F4i. Most of those miles are with Mobil 1 syn 10w-40 car oil with 5,000 mile changes. He opened the engine once to replace a gear and everything looked brand new (year ago or so). He wrecked last month or so and frankeistened his old engine parts into another engine casing. Didn't replace anything. The crank had to be replaced cause of it bending from the wreck, but he re-used the bearings. LOL Bike runs like nothing happened.

16. ddpemberton

ddpemberton New Member

How do I look up the additives and castrol syntec? And which ones am I looking for since it's not a specific moto oil? I saw two people on here that use it, but still a smidge skeptical. It's fairly cheap and one of the only ones I can find easily in autoparts stores. I'd like to use it if I can. Any thoughts?

17. daveyto

daveyto New Member

a 3593 size filter fits the 3rd gen

for oil I use,....mobil 1 10w 40....motorcycle oil is all hype....

that's what my friend told me, he is a petroleum engineer and therefore is right!!!

I have been using auto oils in all my bikes for over 20 years...no clutch slip, etc....all bullshit and lies!!!

18. Grilldemon

Grilldemon New Member

you want to stick to motorcycle oil. It is less susceptible to shearing by the transmission gears.

19. ddpemberton

ddpemberton New Member

Cool thanks. What about filters. I picked up the m1-101 mobil 1 reccomended on the forum, but I'm not sure which gen the guy had who recommended it. Don't know why but I figured 4,5,6 gen at least would take the same filter size. I have a 5th gen.

20. mgvfr

mgvfr New Member

I like it to be warmed up a little, usually if the girl just pours it onto her hands and rubs them together a bit bfore she starts is enough.....

The dealership I go to uses Belray and it seems pretty good.

Cheers
    MGVFR