What size needle bearing to buy for 1986 VFR 750 Rear suspension linkage

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by rc24ste, Nov 14, 2017.

1. rc24ste

rc24ste New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Oh dear. A friend of mine removed the two needle bearings from this part (I could not get them out...):
    https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vfr750f...83/rod-assy-cushion_52460ml7000/#.WgtiuGi0PmY

The problem is, I did not take note of the code on the bearings. The old bearings are no more so I have no idea which replacements to get. What a mess!

Does anyone know which needle bearings I should get for the rear shock linkage shown in the link above? There is nothing in the factory manual.

Hope someone can help!

Don't those needle bearings get stuck by the way? One of them in the shock linkage required 10 tons on a press to get it out! Madness. So much for using a slide hammer as stated in the factory manual.

Thanks.

Steve

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

3. rc24ste

rc24ste New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thanks.
    Honda don't give any information on the bearing in their parts fiche, manual or parts diagram. In fact they don't even list the bearing as being available to buy!.
    I really hope someone out there has done an '86 VFR 750 rear suspension linkage overhaul or I am in real trouble.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I know that some of their later model parts list do show bearings as being available, it is possible that the year of your bike they didn't have them as a replacement part. When the bearings were removed, was your friend able to retain the outer casing? It's possible that you can use the seal dimensions listed to get the inner dimension and measure the outer casing for the length. If at all lucky, the outer casing may even have the bearing number still visible, that can be used to order bearings from a bearing supplier. Worse case scenario, measure with a ruler the depth of the hole where the bearing fits into to where the seal would meet it and use that as your length dimension along with the O.D./I.D. of the seal and that may get you past your issue.

When I was helping another member locate bearings for a swing-arm, I used the vendor below and just clicked on the type of bearing, then the outer dimension, inner dimension and length. I'm sure you can also find places in the UK as well so maybe get those measurements and do a google search. Note that most dimensions will be in millimeters.

https://www.123bearing.com/section-bearing-drawn-cup.php

5. rc24ste

rc24ste New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thanks for the help.

Well, I have got it sorted. The needle bearing code is 1725 and 2 are needed. The other needle bearing in the pro-link rocker arm (4 needed) has this code, 1525.

There you go, priceless information!

By the way, Honda could not help me with the above and even the parts giant CMS had no information.

The new needle bearings are all in and everything feels good and tight. Phew, crisis over...

OOTV likes this.
  6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Glad you got that sorted. I assume that the old bearings is where you got the numbers?

7. rc24ste

rc24ste New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I worked out the number for one of the bearings by taking measurements of the recess within which it would be located. For the other I used the code stamped on the bearing.

OOTV likes this.