What's it like on a 500 mile day across the interstates?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by G1200RS, Jun 28, 2016.

1. G1200RS

G1200RS New Member

United States
    I'm coming off a 505-pound BMW R1200GS, and before that, the 660 pound Honda ST1100. The ST had better wind protection than the GS, air hit my full-shield face maybe halfway up, both bikes rock solid at 80mph passing trucks, and comfy enough for my 100 to 120 mile runs. I get off and spend a full 15 minutes or more standing and stretching every hour and half or so.

I'm 5'-8.

So, what RPMs are being clocked at 75mph indicated? How much vibration in the bar grips? Are better saddles to be considered?

My test ride of a Gen8 new bike, done ten days ago, didn't tell me enough about how things would be for the long haul.

Gonna buy a new viffer deluxe this week or the BMW F800GT. Here are some of the stats:

VFR800F DLX: 782cc, 104 hp @ 10,250 rpm, 529 pounds, seat height 31.0 (lowest)

F800GT Premium: 798cc, 90 hp @ 8,000 rpm, 470 pounds, seat height 31.5

My research tells me the BMW gets a little buzzy at sustained 75 mph. I don't think the Honda will. My ST felt like a Peterbilt at 90 mph.

Same size tires, the VFR weighs 50 pounds more than the BMW, so one might expect a steadier feel. The VFR for me puts me in more of a jockey crouch when riding, something I can address with lower pegs and bar risers. Sure wish I could have them side by side, a stock BMW and a VFR with the lowered pegs and 5/8" bar risers.

2. ALAN553

ALAN553 New Member

United States
    Map
    Ha, I just sold my 92 ST1100 ABS/TC.....it was a Honda Accord on two wheels...as basically said...80 MPH in the highway....only the speedometer would let you know...my new VFR.....no way, but I knew that...not doing that kind of touring anymore...wanted something lighter and more maneuverable in my urban environment. Wanted to be able to navigate NYC on a Sunday morning, ride to work...trips within 100 miles of home on backroads, not necessarily highways. Wanted to be able to park and not worry about pushing that ST backwards...close to 700 lbs of it. And I did not want a cruiser or standard bike. Does that help?

3. Tiutis

Tiutis New Member

United States
    Map
    75mph-5.5 rpm, vibe free. It's vibe-free throughout the powerband.

4. ALAN553

ALAN553 New Member

United States
    Map
    Definitely no vibration....just not an ST1100, two different bikes.

5. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    It's fantastic. Have got to say I felt grand after my 500 odd mile trip to Folkestone. Would have been better if 400 miles of that hadn't been in the rain.

My backside definitely felt better than it did doing the same trip on the pan, just the usual aches associated with long distance riding.
    Seat fine , no vibes, ran it fast enough just to keep it out of the vtec transition.

6. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    On tour right now.Have had/ still have sportbikes,sp/tourers and even bought a 2006Goldwing. Took the Wing for this trip, as i am going to cover 6000~7000kms. On my recently sold ST1100, a500mile day was at my upper end. For me, though its more about mindset. Once did 1100 kms on one day on a Honda VF750 Interceptor. Didn't seem to take any effort at all either. Also have done 400kms. ina day and felt it was enough. An aftermarket seat is a good investment, as are bar risers. Higher windscreen etc.. But, the most important is mindset. If you're into the bike,as well as your journey, all will be well!

7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    In 15 days I covered over 4,000 miles on Long's 6th Gen - which included a fair bit of interstate - intentionally or otherwise. We encountered several stretches near Phoenix with strong cross winds but even with a full set of Honda luggage and that huge 45litre top box acting like a sail at times the bike was fairly planted. You just had to remain alert when passing trucks or emerging from the protection of an overpass. The extra padding on the Sergeant seat was really comfortable compared with my stock one - I think the 8th Gen seat is meant to be a lot more comfortable. In Europe again on a 6th Gen I have often done the trip from London to the Alps in one 12 hour day with just an hour break for the ferry crossing and a few stops for fuel, coffee and a stretch.

Electrical gremlins aside, these bikes can always do a 500 mile trip but its really the rider and traffic conditions that are the limiter.

On the later 6th gen the bike is just below the vtec engagement point at 80mph in 6th (the autoroute 130km speed-limit) so the bike is hurtling along and yet sipping fuel. Whilst the vtec engagement on the 8th Gen is more refined (barely detectable) it remains at basically the same point - so if you are planning on running at roughly 80 your fuel mileage will be good.

With just one short test ride to go by I found the 8th gen is a far more refined package that the 6th Gen.

The real issue with Interstates is probably a mix of the sometimes crazy antics of other road users and too many places where the smooth performance of a VFR can lull you into autopilot mode or encourage overly enthusiastic behaviour which could jeapordise your license if not your life.

SkiMad

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    500 mile days on Interstates are boring. The bathrooms are usually clean at the gas stations. Faired bikes usually have the ability to penetrate headwinds just like riding in still air. Crosswinds are a whole nother can of creepy-crawlies.

Will we ever return to the days of dustbin fairing?