Whats the best tyre choice?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Turkish rider, Apr 7, 2016.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Although we don't get much rain here is So Cal, I did have a few times that I got caught in a quick down pour and I didn't have any problems. The one real test of this was when I was in Yosemite and we had a 2.5 hour ride in the rain. This was also in the twisty mountain roads and I had no lack of confidence in either tire. If I recall correctly, this was with the PP3 front and PR2 rear. The last few times were on the freeways of LA and other than braking, not too many test of the front tire grip and other than avoiding braking while on the painted lines, braking grip was good.

I'm usually not one to get on the bike when it's raining but I don't pull over and stop if it starts to comes down. Typically I ride with my rain suit in the top case or tank bag, just in case. The last time I actually pulled over under an over pass and threw on the rain suit and then continued onward. Of course about 10 miles down the road it was warm and dry and by the time I got home, I was sweating up storm inside the suit! Probably should have pulled over to remove it but I had light traffic and clear roads ahead, so I toughed it out.

2. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Oop apologies for misquoting you.

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Haha. No problem ... I just didn't want to give anyone the wrong idea ... that said, I've read nothing but good things about the T30 EVO.

I think the only complaints I've read are that the tire is a bit 'stiff' so the ride isn't as plush.

4. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I always preferred "tires". Lots of new tires out there but the Pilot Road 2 is still hard to beat and the price of them has come down compared to the newer tires that, in some cases, don't seem to offer much of an improvement for significantly more cost. I've beat this subject to death here in another thread and finally decided to revert back to the PR 2's that served me so well in the past. Just try different ones until you find the one you like best the stick with it.

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well ... just dropped the dough on a set of Bridgestone T-30 EVO's.

I didn't bother going with the GT spec - I suspect to reap the benefits from that I would need to be about 200lbs heavier or so like a C14 or ST1300.

6. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Very interested to see what you think. When will you have them on?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Soon after they arrive they'll be installed ... they should ship tomorrow.

I didn't read the fine print on the site. They don't stock the tires in house. They order them from the supplier, then ship them as soon as they receive them. The supplier is close to their shop I guess.

I'll commute on them for a few weeks prior to my trip to break them in and get the manufacturing oils off. I'll also want to get used to them since I'll be riding unfamiliar twisties - I'm guessing the handling will change (hopefully a little quicker) based on what I've read.

8. A.M

Darn the darn that fine print, but sounds like there won't be too much of a delay until happy tire day. :)

I expected my PR4s to have quicker handling than what I'm experiencing so far. I do love them, though, but it will be great to hear your review.

I may be swayed to jump the Michelin boat in the future.

9. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, if I do go back to Michelin, it would be for the PR2's on the rear and maybe a PP3 on the front.

I just don't like the tread wear on the PR2 front since the leading and trailing edges wear differently.

10. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    That is due to the rebound on the front not being adjustable. With a fully adjustable suspension, you can get rid of odd tire wear.

11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I'm really enjoying the Bridgestone T30 Evo tires. Their profile really adds a lot to the bikes handling. The tip in on turns is really enhanced with them. They grip great, no chicken strips on the rear, still some on the front yet. Inspiring in the rain. No concerns at all. I probably have about 1000 miles on them so far. In comparison to the PR 3 & 4, they're a much quicker turning tire. I guess they must have a peakier shape. I know the PR3 is a flat profile, the PR4 is less so. The T30 makes both of them slow in comparison. So much so that even after hopping off of the Ducati Panigale 959, I was still impressed with the sporty feel of my 99. I didn't have that same feeling with my Sixth Gen, which had the PR4 on it, but had the rear shock shimmed and the forks raised. That speaks volumes to me.

12. A.M

Lint, thanks for your helpful comments on this! I've noticed the turning effort needed with the PR4s that I hadn't expected. I'm still very pleased with them and hope I see the longevity pan out as I did with the PR2s. Who has worn through a set of T30s? What kind of life did you get out of them? I realize riding style and geography plays a part, though here in Kansas, we aren't going nuts on the twisties.

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Thank you for your detailed review and encyclopedic knowledge. Now go check you frame sliders please.

14. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Now the 3rd or 4th PR4 rear tire I've installed on this bike. Thought I'd see how much material was left. Cutting it close to the cord on this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. cheezy rider

cheezy rider New Member

United States
    How do the battleaxe' fair? My bike came with a dunlop sport max II on the front, that's all cupped up, and a Michelin pilot road 2 on the rear. Flat strip down the middle.
    Someone local to me, whom I trust told me to put 500 miles on the bike as is, and then install the battleaxes.
    Thoughts?
    '08 4500 miles.

16. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Personally, I would just change them now and get it over with. Why even ride a motorcycle with tires that are so worn already. What you put on them is something you'll need to research and there is no shortage of tire threads on the forum!

17. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Just curious, why wear down the tire to this point? I know when my PP3s get anywhere near the wear indicator, they get so squirrelly that it makes any spirited riding very unsettling!

18. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    How many miles on that PR4?

19. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Um, I'm going to say TOO many! :rofl:

20. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Oh, please. So dramatic. I changed it out before it started delaminating or showing cord.

Mileage, hard to say. Maybe 8-9k? Was fitted in Reno, saw cross country duty then full summer of Appalachia mountain roads.

The new one will see high mileage shortly. I'll bump this thread in a few weeks with actual #s.