When is it going to stop???

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by fink, Feb 15, 2018.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Training of security and staff MUST continue. I don't know that I agree an active shooter is predictable. At least not as predictable as a fire that is for sure. We are dealing with a person who is capable of thought and the ability to change the course of his actions. Even Active Shooter Response is constantly changing. What the police did at Columbine High was actually the correct response based on the best training of the day. Columbine changed that. Active shooting I have also been trained in but it has apparently changed a few times since I retired. I can share with you though, that I had never felt more exposed and potentially in danger's way having gone through that training. First officer through the door would likely have been shot dead at that time, but the bad guy would have been eliminated by the second. When I took the training, police waited until there was at least four officers on scene. Now the training here is that the responder enters immediately after initial assessment and alone if need be.

Samuel and 01ragtop like this.
  2. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    No worries. We can agree to disagree, plus it is probably more a matter of semantics anyway. Maybe what I should say is that the deranged individuals perpetrating these kinds of shooting act predictably enough that we can identify ways to deter, delay, and defend against these attacks with proper training and resources. The implementation thereof is what's lacking. These guys aren't trained in the assault of a building like a SpecOps force in other words.

Another thing that I feel contributes is the media spotlight these shooters get. There is a reason you almost never hear about suicide on the news. Sucide rates increase with the number of reports of suicide. These shooters feel justified in their thoughts of shooting up a school when they hear about other shootings. Combine that with finally getting the attention they crave and you have a self perpetuating problem.

Mind_Surfer and 34468 Randy like this.
  3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    The MURDERER (call him what he is) would have had to enter the school building in order to pull the fire alarm. I know of no fire alarm system with a switch outside of the building available to activate the alarm. He did reportedly leave the building by leaving behind his wepon and blending in with the students as they exited the building. He did not enter BEFORE the fire alarm was activated.

Samuel and 34468 Randy like this.
  4. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Ya. I guess not. SO the school was either not locked up or he was let in by and exiting student. He apparently shot a few outside too before going in.

5. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    To that point, California does not require pull stations in schools where an automatic fire alarm is installed. If California, which has some of the most strict (and sucessful) fire life safety requirements, can get onboard with automatic systems in schools, the rest of the country can follow suit.

6. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    I hadn't read that. How was the school not on lockdown once they heard shots fired? Lack of training? Lack of responsible, accountable personnel?

7. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    If you don't understand our Constitution, please read the Federalist Papers and then refer to what our Founding Fathers wrote, using the meanings of the words, and yes, the meaning of that little comma as they were used at that time. It is very clear and succint in its intent. There is as I said above, no correct "interpretation", there is only the meaning of the words. I truly wish that they had the prescience to write what the state of Montana did when they wrote the state constitution. In the state of Montana, it is specifically written that the meanings of the words of the constitution shall ever only mean exactly and solely what the words meant at the time of its writing. Truly this should have been written into our national Constitution, however this does not relieve those that question its montives and meanings from reading it with exactly and solely the meanings of the words as the Founding Fathers knew and used them. To try and interpret them differently is to add an arbitrary and to dub in meanings that did not exist at that time. This then greatly simplifies and clarifies the entire document, and ends debate on the issue.
    Any complications that are introduced are simply the machinations of those that choose to weaken its meaning, to dilute its intent and purpose to fit their misguided understanding or their own political agenda. Law is Law. It must have very exact meaning and if it is deviated from, it is diluted and to that degree impotent. Just as math is math and non-negotiable, law must remain the same, or it is no longer a guide to justice and devolves back into tyranny and lynch mob mentality

Eagle Six and 01ragtop like this.
  8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I can't argue with that. But that is not what is happening in our courts, yours included. At every trial where the constitution or in our case, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms comes into play, lawyers will get up in court and argue what the meaning of words in the piece of law means or even meant when it was passed into law. Then the judges decide what the words mean or what the intention of the words were when they were written. And every time this this happens, the meaning of the law becomes diluted. Yours has been going on for one hell of a lot longer than ours, from a time when the spoken English language was far from what it is today. Our Charter just came into place in 1982. The English language has not changed that much since then but the meaning of many laws have. Sometimes to the good, but often to dilute the severity of the law. Judges and lawyers are not likely to agree with that becasue they get recognition for these challenges to law. But I believe the average Joe citizen read it that way.

Lint likes this.
  9. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
  10. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
  11. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not the type that goes around quoting and/or throwing statistics in people's faces (as the saying goes, "There are Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.") BUT sometimes it sure feels like other significant problems are often overlooked, downplayed, or forgotten when evil/heinous activity like school shootings happen:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving
    "Every day, almost 29 people in the United States die in alcohol-impaired vehicle crashes—that's one person every 50 minutes in 2016."
    "1,233 Children 14 and under killed in drunk-driving crashes in 2016.
    28% Percentage of motor vehicle traffic fatalities caused by alcohol-impaired driving in the United States in 2016.
    10,497 Deaths from alcohol-impaired-driving crashes in 2016."

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html
    "How big is the problem? In 2015, 2,333 teens in the United States ages 16–19 were killed and 221,313 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes in 2014.1 That means that six teens ages 16–19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries."

As far as 'when will it stop' goes, when will human beings (actually IMnshO, the vast majority of them are SUB human - there is a reason for the acronym NHI haha) stop lying, cheating, and stealing? When will people stop assaulting and killing other people (regardless of means - bare hands, tools, weapons, etc)? When will people start taking full responsibility for their own actions? When will people learn to follow the Golden Rule?

When will we wake up and realize that we're just batteries for our robotic overlords???!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Eagle Six likes this.
  12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    One statistic that doesn't get much attention: 2/3 of the 33,000 of violent deaths each year are suicides.

13. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Maybe if they didn’t have access to guns it would be far less.

What is classed as a violent death in those statistics.

Wonder what the obesity death rates are like whilst we are there..

14. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
  15. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
  16. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
  17. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
  18. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Second part. In who’s god do you trust? It’s not made clear as I’m sure there are more than one denomination that attend those facilities.

19. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    Every school I'm aware of now has a lock-down policy. Of all those, their procedure is to lock-down the school during and/or after the shooting starts from an unknown source. None of them have a lock-down policy before the shooting starts. None of them have a serious and meaningful security procedure to address before, during or after a shooting. I thought everyone knew it is a poor time to lock the hen house after the fox get's in! Superior security involves layers. On going intel, perimeter, ingress/egress and interior as well as trained defenders and 1st responders (local police are NOT 1st responders). Securing our schools isn't that tough, but it does take money and it does require a change in culture. On the other hand, passing another gun control bill may be easier, cost very little and make a lot of people feel good about themselves so they can get their Starbucks and to the soccer game. I suppose future victims would expect more, but perhaps some of them are blinded by reality. Of course there is the immediate solution, pull kids out of school and parents train them yourself or provide private training.

20. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    I did read the article, so again what is your point? It's about a law passed in Florida, as in the USA, how does that effect you in Scotland? If you care about state law in Florida become a resident and vote. And this law has nothing to do with guns! And, by the way, the reason the gun bill (that the article referred to) did not get a reading was procedural rules. You know like in legislative procedures to pass laws. It was a timing error by those presenting a law. And, if the people of Florida didn't want it, that is their right. Not a single thing in that article said or referred to you or Scotland, as I'm sure you are glad. But, really, what is your point?