When is it going to stop???

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by fink, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Holy crap a coworker shot you?!

2. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Wow! :eek: Glad you are OK!

Bubba Utah likes this.
  3. HotPursuit

HotPursuit New Member

United States
    Map
    I went to a variety of schools in CA. The ones where the community had gang violence issues had security plans in place. Multiple (well) armed uniformed police on campus, to include posted at the only two entrances. I've heard of worse communities implementing metal detectors. You had to wear your student ID in a conspicuous manner, to verify your legal right to be there. It's not like we were constantly under surveillance, but every time I hear someone whine about increasing security measures at a school like it's some sort invasion of liberty, I think about the schools I attended where nobody seems to see systems that have long been implemented. Anyone who's lived on a military installation should have a reasonable idea of what it is to live as of there's always planning to attack. It just becomes a part of your life. Predators favor weak prey. Hard targets deter the weak willed.

It's not about having firefights at the schools, it's about deterrence and creating a standoff.

And regarding background checks... we already have them. The people who illegally obtain guns are already subverting them.

I think laws concerning maintaining positive control of legally owned weapons are more appropriate. Adequate storage procedures makes sense (a lot of states issue free locks). There are laws designed to prevent straw purchases, but those too, get subverted.

We have a personal responsibility for our own safety, but that also has to be delicately balanced with some sort of vetting process. It's not a simple issue, and to think that any one person (especially many who have never experienced a violent altercation involving a firearm) has all the answers is ignorant.

Granted, driving is a privelage, not a right, but all the states can manage to get on the same sheet of music to recognize all of each other's licenses. I don't think it's a stretch to do the same for weapons permits, especially since most states require training, qualification, and a background check to obtain one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Samuel and Eagle Six like this.
  4. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    In Utah you do have to have a CBI database background check to purchase. Sad times for victims and the families because of troubled teens that get guns legally, illegally or take a family members. Society has so desensitized death to this point. Games, text, movies, television making someone who feels like nothing and wants to be immortalized by killing and dying knowing millions will finally be seeing them on 132 channels day and night.

squirrelman, Samuel and Eagle Six like this.
  5. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Over here if you have mental health issues or have had you cannot get a gun license.

If folk took ownership of the problems then there could be something put in place.

It’s easy to blame the cops and fbi. Why not blame the guy that sold him the gun or ammo and so on down the line.

The big issue is automatic weapons , is there any need for them in civvie street? In my view there isnt.

Samuel and 34468 Randy like this.
  6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    The problem is Hippa privacy laws keep background checks from knowing who is a potential nut job. I'm not well informed about those laws but I think unless a patient expresses that they are going to murder someone the counselor has to keep privacy.

Samuel and Eagle Six like this.
  7. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    The term "automatic weapons" is grossly over-used. Not that you intended to do so, but there is a difference in weapon designs and often those not familiar use the incorrect or misleading terms. For example Glock, Spingfield, H&K, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson (and others) pistols, which are carried by the police and military are all a form that is wrongly been described as "automatic Weapons", some even by the manufacturer themselves! These pistol are better termed "auto-loading". Then there are guns like an M4, M-16, M-14, M-60, etc. issued to our military which are designed to be full-auto firing. The AR-15 is not one of these "full-auto" firing designs. The AR15 has a "auto-loading" design and by function is no different than many much more powerful sold by Remington, Browning, Benelli, that most non-hunter would relate as hunting rifles. I'm not arguing with your use of the words, or your understanding of the words, just pointing out there is a difference.

I have AR-15's. AR-15's are not by definition of design "assault weapons". They are a lawful legitimate small centerfire auto-loading design rifles I use for legitimate and lawful purposes. I understand your opinion and desire to never have one and I would never say or do anything that would appear to be forcing you to. I assume you respect my opinion, right, and option to own AR-15 and therefore wouldn't say or do anything that would appear to force me to give them up.......or would you?

Samuel likes this.
  8. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Perhaps we should all take a breath, stand back and reflect on the gun ownership issue. I mean, yes it's an important diversive subject, but it's not as if innocent men, women and children are getting slaughtered out of hand, is it?

9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    When kids are killed by a crazy nut job it makes a huge emotional impact and results in quick knee jerk reactions. But how about all the other crap that happens every day that does not make a splash page? How about knives? Are we going to ban them too? every year many many more people die from knives than guns. last year 5 times more peoplee were murdered by knives than guns. I would bet most those were mentally unstabl too. Texting, while driving....... and yet we can't make a federal law on that one, killing many more people. Law abiding citizens that own guns are not doing this.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/19/knives-gun-control-fbi-statistics/

Samuel likes this.
  10. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Just out of curiosity, how many nut jobs have barricaded themselves in a hotel room then murdered scores of innocents with a knife or text message?

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Who knows, with a knife probably many. We can talk apples and oranges all night, People find a way to kill each other there is no doubt about that, been going on for thousands of years. Guns are just more dramatic.

Samuel likes this.
  12. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Have you heard about this one?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagamihara_stabbings

or
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China_(2010–12)

and this is some crazy sh1t right here - I've never machete'ed anyone but I've done yardwork with a machete and man, videos like this make me wince/grimace because I know exactly what those blades are doing to the victim(s)...

And I know that Terrorism isn't exactly the same as Mental Illness but if we're just talking about evil:
    https://www.google.com/search?num=2.......0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.P6d6HcqjDsU

https://pjmedia.com/homeland-securi...ndom-knife-attacks-in-alleys-forests-beaches/
    http://abc7chicago.com/news/isis-propaganda-urges-terrorists-to-stage-knife-attacks/1548969/
    https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/la...f-attacks-knife-jihad-islamic-state-terrorist

http://clarionproject.org/factsheets-files/Rumiyh-ISIS-Magazine-2nd-issue.pdf

Some of our cultures were bladed at some point but not really anymore. Many cultures Are still blade cultures, especially in lower world areas. Some of you guys who train or are experienced are familiar with some of the general advantages of blades, including:

They don't run out of ammo
    They don't jam
    They're quiet
    They're easy to get
    They're easy to conceal and/or carry
    They are often legal to own and carry out in public, even openly
    They can be lethal/effective even in the hands of an lesser skilled or untrained bad guy
    They are primarily close quarters but can also be thrown

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    TOE CUTTER likes this.
  13. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I was thinking about this today on the way to work. I was in the quiet of my car, having turned off the shrill voices of talk radio and the dulcet tones of public radio. I decided that what we all really want is for this not to have happened. The thing we long for is to never have to talk about this again but of course it is going to happen again. What will happen, if all the proposals that are currently on the table are enacted, when it happens again? We will wail and craft new initiatives that will make us feel like we are doing something but in fact we stand helpless in the face of great evil. There are those that scream "do something" and yet I know, weapon confiscation, armed teachers and harden facilities will never be enough to stop evil with savage yet brilliant intent. Evil seems to always find a way. Can we admit that we just want the children back? We argue and scream to dull the shock and pain of it all. We find scrape goats like the NRA to vent our anger and it keeps us from facing the true magnitude of the hurt, shock and horror. I don't want gun control. I don't want new government programs. I don't even want private industry to virtue signal their anti-gun stance. I really want those kids back with their parent. I so desperately want them to have a future with kids and family of their own, with the experience of love and loss, work, school, hobbies and everything that makes life good. Thinking about this hurts. Listening to the nonstop bickering and arguing about policy hurts even more.

34468 Randy, Samuel and HotPursuit like this.
  14. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I was at Lowe's Home Improvement center with my wife several days ago. In the gardening section was a rack full of brush whacking blades and two headed axes. The blade had long polished handles and looked a lot like the weapons the guards carried at the Castle of the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of Oz. I took one and waved it with a crazy look and told my wife "there is nothing keeping me from killing a lot of people in the store." She saw my point right away. There were no locks or controls on any these items at all.

Samuel likes this.
  15. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
  16. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    My point was one guy barricaded himself ALONE in a hotel room and then murdered a lot of innocent people, how could he have done that with a knife?

17. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    There were 30 times as many people killed in Great Britain (2016) than there were in the Vegas shooting! And not a single one by a knife!

18. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    So what were they killed with then?

Where are you getting your figures from?

19. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    From the RRCGB as posted on Wikipedia for 2016. Perhaps those who vote in Great Britain should pass a law to ban cars!

NOTE: I don't really care about what the good folks do in Great Britain to regulate their citizens, it is up to them and none of my business. I'm a citizen of the USA and have no intentions to even visit the UK areas let alone move there, so I keep my opinion as to how to run a country about the country I live in.

20. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Still would like to know how a nut job barricaded in a room by himself with a knife can murder 58 people?
    Now, if said nut job had a gun.....
    Really, it's not hard to see the distinction.