Which model to choose for the real VFR feel (not trying to start a war...)?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Michael S, May 17, 2017.

1. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    Sweviffer, 9640 USD for an 8th gen would be a steal in Denmark. They go for around 20k USD and up... . Ridiculous, for sure. 6th gen starts at around 10k. Most of them higher. A 2006 will be about 14k. That's why I am primarily looking at 2002 - 2005.

I can see that spare parts are not just hard to get for 1st gen, but also for 3rd. Would the same be the case for the 4th gen?

I HAVE fallen head over heels in love with the 3rd gen, but I know from other areas of life that what you fall in love with from looks alone can be pretty tiring in the longer run.. . But I will take a look at one tomorrow, then we'll see if she seems fit for the long run :)

Greg, about the "ugly American" - you really did ask for that one yourself :playful:

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    For some reason after reading this, all I could think of was:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    LOL ... define "real VFR" feel ...

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I've got the best of both worlds ....

2002 VFR800 w/ABS
    1985 VF1000F

Woot!! :)

5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    But my honest opinion on the topic, I could have any of the various VFR's and be happy. They are all amazing bikes in their own way. I would love to have on top of the candy glory red 2007 I currently own, an 86 VF1000r, an 86 VFR750, a white 93, a red 98, an RWB 2007 and any eighth gen.

6. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    Jeff, define "love". Not easy, doesn't make it less real... . But actually, I think I've tried in different ways above. To compare again with cars: I owned two F31 BMW 320D's. Great cars, I've driven through Europe in both of them and they just go and go and do everything right. But honestly, they are not special cars. They are just really good 4 cylinder diesel cars. I also owned two E39's, a 528i and a 530i. They were more than good, they had a special feeling. The solid feel of whatever part you touch, the fantastic sound of the R6 engine. I'm sure the "small" diesels could out-drive the E39's any day and for sure the workshop bills were much smaller - but "special" does not apply to them. That's kind of what I mean by "VFR feel". So if the VTEC is just great, but not that different from any Kawa or Suzuki it's probably not what I am looking for. But yes, the way out of the dilemma could be two bikes :)

Candyred, really nice to hear. I started with the feeling that the choice between gens is really a choice of many things, but not of good or bad. Which is basically why I decided on a VFR before deciding on a specific gen or bike.

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Michael S ... beauty is in the eye of beholder.

I think this is a loaded question with no real 'correct' answer. As CandyRed noted, they are all special in their own ways, and yet all very similar in many others.

The engine design for the most part hasn't changed a whole lot on the chain driven cam version, nor through the gear driven cam versions. The chassis' have had changes over the years, and while they all feel different, they also have familiarity.

I'm very happy with my 6th Gen VTEC and I wouldn't give up it for the world. Other swear by the gear driven cams (which are a VFR trademark so to speak) yet on long rides, the whine would drive me nuts. It's all personal preference and opinion. YOU need to go see a few different version of the bike in person and figure out what is sexy and special to YOU.

If you ask for opinions, you're going to get a mixed bag from everyone. :)

8. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    All the VFRs have that "real VFR feel" because they all are real VFRs.

Watch out for those 1st Gens, though! I thought I really wanted one, but I was very happy when it left my garage and became someone else's nightmare . . .

9. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    Thanks, everyone. Very good to hear your opinions.

I went to a dealer to take a look at a pearl white '91 yesterday (link above). Looked promising in the add - but not so much IRL. Parts of the fairing had been painted with a non-matching color and the general condition didn't look good. The dealer didn't even try to deny it, he just said "...hence the price".

He also had two VTEC's. Way over-priced so the specific bikes are not interesting, but at least I got a chance to feel the ergo of the bike. And that felt very, very good. Same goes for the 750, I should say.

So still convinced that my next bike is going to be a VFR. Still leaning towards 3rd and 6th gen (for quite different reasons), but as I understand that it can be hard to find spare parts for the 3rd gen, I will keep the 4th gen on my list.

10. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    To round this thread off: bought a 4th gen 1996 today. White, with 61k km on the clock. Beautiful bike with white rims and HyperPro suspension. Seems in excellent condition. Really looking forward to picking it up this Thursday or Friday! Will post pics when I get home. Thanks for all your input, guys.

Quibble likes this.
  11. auggius

auggius New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats man! I was going to put in my 2cents for the 4th gen but you made the right decision anyway. :)

12. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting topic question, I've been pondering the same question, ah.. but I know the answer. Actually truth be known, there was only one VF-r really available to the public. The RVF rc30 and 45 where a whole other breed, so they're dismissed from this. One has to go back to 1986 to get the real VFR. The first V4 s where basically a standard chassis and a cruiser form. It's when Honda's HRC went racing the VF series, Honda turned the v4 into a R, from those few years the badge and name has stuck, even though today's VF-rs aren't even close. From the 90's on, the VF-r has been dumbed down from its race heritage, all though they gave a decent attempt on the 4th gen 94-97 mocking the NR. Still sad, but the next horse in the stable won out, the RVT. From that the VFR turned into what we see today, a gentlemen s do everything like to be a sport-bike, a bike that has a bit of soul for those that remember the good ole days. Honda should re label them as VFS or VF4T, none are really are Rs any more, but the marketing works right.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Michael S and Alaskan like this.
  13. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    VF4 ST?

RVFR likes this.
  14. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Got one of those, the VFR1100ST:
    [​IMG]

RVFR likes this.
  15. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    Auggies - thanks :)
    RVFR, I realize that the VFR is not a race bike and that the "R" may be misplaced. But what I expect from a VFR, and what I mean by "real VFR feel", has more to do with a unique feeling of "this is definitely a VFR" than with a "race feel". Like what I tried to describe earlier in this thread; a BMW 535i (or any other 6 cylinder BMW for that matter) just has a distinctive feel. It's a feeling of "this is a quality product, this is superior engineering, this is different from the average car experience". From the very first time is started reading about the VFR, I've always been sure that the 1st to 5th gen VFR would deliver on this - due to the combination of v4 and and gear driven cams, but I was unsure of the 6th gen. After all of your replies (and other reading) I am sure that the 6th gen is also a great bike, but I am still unsure if it has "that feel". As explained earlier I think that the BMW's of 2014 and 2015 I've owned are great cars, but they just don't have that "extra something" that really set them apart from other makes. The older BMW's DID have that.

Anyway, I purchased a 4th gen so for the time being it does not really matter what the 6th gen would feel like. But I am sure the question will be relevant again later ;-)

16. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Favorite bike, favorite song, favorite movie, favorite position, favorite food, favorite favorite are all favorites.

Mind_Surfer likes this.
  17. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Michael, you bought my overall favorite-looking VFR; I love the 4th Gen, whatwith their NR influence and interesting touches, including the NACA ducts. It really makes no difference whether you buy any of the 3rd-5th Gens; they all perform similarly on the road, and all have that je ne sais quoi of the thoroughbred VFRs; they were all designed and built during Honda's most fertile period, on the background of world-dominating NSR500 GP bikes, RC30s and 45s, the genre-destroying CBR900RR Fireblade, and the crazy technical marvel NR750--which looks just like your bike.

Tag et billede af den ved Skagen!

18. Badbilly

United States

What are your feelings aboot white 2014 VFRs for chasing ambulances in Southerly climes? TIA

19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  20. Badbilly

United States
    A bone stock 1991 400 might go for as much as 4K. This dude is asking over 5K. A brand new 750 in 1991 was 6200 pesos. Also if you're over aboot 5'6" it looks like you're humping those 400s rather than riding one. Another reason that the 400 version sold fairly well is that in other countries ownership and riding are tiered.

There is an indirect relationship to overall bike size and engine displacement.

This is why I contend there is a market somewhere for sleeved down Harleys...;)