which truck to haul bikes?

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by MiddleTBabb, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Matasickle

Matasickle New Member

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
  3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Amen. If my wife can drive the 4door 3/4ton diesel around walmart, you should be able to handle it.

just for the love of Pete, put the right f'n fuel in it.
    [​IMG]

4. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

If you don't like money- buy a full size dodge/ford/chevy- guaranteed to need major work before the rest of the competition (engine/transmission/costly electronics)

If you only want to spend money on mileage related expenditures (gas/oil changes/tires) get: toyota/nissan. Ive never seen any of the above category make it anywhere close to what I have personally seen a well abused toyota/nissan do. Except maybe some of the classic years.....

edit:

oh and the standard 2wd options are low to the ground and can fit two bikes and get decent gas mileage....

5. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

wow, seriously, you are going to go with that one for imports..... lol. I know plenty of people with full size chevy, dodge and ford and quite a few of them have well over 200,000 miles and some working over 300k.... and are still work horses. Just because it's a toyota or nissan doesn't mean a damn thing.....

hell one of my old co-workers nissan just crapped the bed completely at just over 100k, the engine just decided it wasn't going to work anymore. don't believe the hype.

6. Matasickle

Matasickle New Member

Pretty sure USA is top dog when it comes to making trucks..
    God Bless!

Like I said, I'd love me a Ford F150.

7. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Amen to that too. The big three quality got a bad name back in the '80s when government imposed fleet efficiency standards forced them to retool every part in every car. Trucks were not affected and they've been able to build on 80+years of knowledge and experience building work horses.

8. 82ndGreasemonkey

82ndGreasemonkey New Member

:blah: :blah: :blah:

Here's the reality: Pretty much anything built in the last 10 years is getting 250k +. Not only have the standards and quality of the engineering and materials used in automotive manufacturing improved by leaps & bounds, but most of what was considered "Import" is built here, and conversely- most "Domestic" vehicles are 70% or better foreign produced parts and assembley. Hell, my lifetime warrantied Dodge 5.7 Hemi was built in Mexico.

If you take care of it you should be fine. Don't be cheap on maintenance or it'll catch up later.

EVERYTHING breaks down eventually. There are always going to be common bugs within any line of vehicles (especially new model year), but the occurrence and severity of these defects has become minimal in the past decade.

Bottom line is don't buy into the hype. There are those who believe strongly (myself amongst them) in "buying American", though that term doesn't mean what it used to.

As long as you aren't buying someones neglected, beat to shit, nightmare you should be fine. Price the market value and averages for mileage & condition, than look for a deal. People are hurting economically so there are deals everywhere.

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm a firm believer that automobiles come in shitty and not so shitty varieties from all manufacturers. we all have on own experiences of course. Honda motorcycles on the other hand hold up quite well.

10. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd fricken divorce her!

11. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    it ended ok. she noticed what had happened when she was hanging the pump back up and never drove it.

12. yasuchan

yasuchan New Member

My $0.02, highly recommend an extended cab (as others have mentioned), the extra space is really nice for gear, groceries, or occasional small person.

I drive an '05 Dakota Ext. Cab, but have never put the street bikes in it, only dirt bikes. Originally the plan was to use it for dirt bikes and street bikes, but I cringe at the the thought of loading the ~550lb VFR after doing 225 lb dirtbikes. If I wanted to move street bikes, I would highly recommend a trailer.

Dakota is good size, not too big, not too small. And ours has been really reliable, only issues have been front suspension ball joints (05+ Dakota's front suspensions are made from wet newspaper and cheese, replace with aftermarket, especially ball joints and no issues). Bad on gas, comfy ride, can pick up fairly cheap compared to imports.

I drive with the rear wheels of the dirt bikes on the tailgate, no issues. And I use two aluminum ramps for loading and unloading, strap them to the tow hitch so they don't move, and nice and light to move around. About ~8-10inches wide I guess, so I walk a bike up one, and I walk up the other side.

[​IMG]

13. MiddleTBabb

MiddleTBabb New Member

United States
    Map
    Ohhh Irony

Some quick hits on the scenario:

1) I was looking for an everyday driver truck to replace a 350Z.

2) In my mindless searching to replace the car I decided a truck would be best to do this type of thing.

3) Apparently there was a tree a few miles from here that didn't want to move (RIP Z, glad to be alive)

4) All the trucks in my price range were former work trucks. NOT DAILY DRIVERS.

5) Turns out that thru the family I can get a Mazda RX8 for a deal.

So no truck just yet. Maybe when I get paid appropriately for my position I can get one.

Thank you all for your input

14. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

rx8 is a sucky choice, great handling car but they are slow as hell and eat gas like crazy.... I know because a friend of mine went through 2 of them before giving up on them. They are lucky to get over 20mpg.....

Even the crappiest truck you could find would probably get better gas mileage than that car....

15. Spike

Spike New Member

what do you drive now? what other uses do you have for a truck? To do one or two track days a year, you don't need to buy a whole new vehicle if it doesn't suit the rest of your life.

16. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    Here's mine, good ol' truck.

Attached Files:

17. MiddleTBabb

MiddleTBabb New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm a homeowner as of last year and I would like one to move furniture as well as use for mulch, trees. And i love taking a truck to the drive in movies. Plus just feel more safe elevated.

I know that sounds funny coming from a biker....

18. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    FTW right there!

makes sense to me. if ya have to be in the cage, it's good to be in the safest one possible.

19. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    toyota x-runner?

20. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Hell, I haul my bike with my car (2004 Taurus) and a trailer. The trailer folds up and I roll it up against the wall in my garage so nobody has to look at it.

I would still like to have a truck though...