Why a VFR is AWESOME!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by DaHose, Aug 22, 2017.

1. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey everyone,

I was talking with someone today and extolling the virtues of my 5th gen. I was going on about the riding position, the engine reliability, the mechanical noises we all love, and the flexibility in terms of being a true sport cruiser. Then I had a train of thought hit me.

At this stage in my life, it would be possible for me to have pretty much any motorcycle I want (short of an insanely priced hyperbike). However, I only have space for 1 motorcycle in my growing vehicle fleet. So if I was going to buy something else (MAN that Diavel is sex on wheels!), I would need to sell the VFR. That is when it dawned on me, that I just couldn't bring myself to give up my VFR for anything else right now, no matter how much I might like it. I think that says a heck of a lot about how well designed these motorcycles are, and how ideal it is for me.

The bummer is that because motorcycles like this exist, the whole industry is shrinking. Way less bikes are being sold now than they were 10 or so years ago, and it's kind of sad that our love of motorcycling, coupled with the existence of such well designed and produced motorcycles like our VFR's could be responsible for that decline. So are we seeing the motorcycle industry becoming a victim of its own success? I sure hope not, because if the day comes that I do have to replace my VFR, I really hope there is something else on the market that gets my goat, just as much as my 5th gen.

Keep the rubber side down, people.

Jose

GatorGreg likes this.
  2. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    There already is, called the 8th gen.:Peace:

GatorGreg likes this.
  3. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    As great as VFRs are, I really don't think you can blame them for the slump in motorcycle sales. 10 or so years ago the US housing market hadn't collapsed yet, and that's what really killed them.

4. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I love my 5th gen, but I must admit that it has nothing on some of the new offerings.
    Whenever I borrow my mates S1000RR or Street Tripple, or my other mates Tuono, I have to say the old 5th gen feeels like an old slapper after it.
    You canot compare the tightness, handling and overall feel of some of the new bikes.
    The gearbox and quick shifter on the S1000RR is fantastic, the ability to turn so much later on the Street Tripple always thorws me.
    The power and grunt plus super light weight of the Tuono is an eye opener.
    Even with my suspension and brakes being upgraded, it still doesn't come close to the suspension and stopping abilities on any of these bikes.
    Yes it was a great bike when new, and I would still struggle to get rid of it, but even the 8th gen is left far behind some of the new bikes, that is why it's not selling great.
    Want to know what a great all rounder can do today, take an S1000XR for a ride, it will leave our VFR's for dead in all aspects, performance, handling, comfort, gear carrying ability, passenger comfort, cruise control, built in GPS and the list goes on.
    I have to admit, it doesn't look the best, and it's an inline four, but man what a machine.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Ro Dento likes this.
  5. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Good point Nelix. I haven't been on an 8th gen., although thdy don't have that awesome gear driven noise from the cams.

I do hear what you are saying OZ, but the BMW and Aprilia have a bug-eyed, techno look to them that I don't care for. The whiz-bangs, farkles and performance are certainly a class above the VFR. No arguing that. Although there is one point I disagree with, mate. The passenger position on an S1000RR or a Tuono is higher, looks tighter, and has a smaller seat than my VFR. Granted, I do have a two-piece Sargent seat which makes things cushy.

Yeah, it comes back to what I said earlier. I can only have one bike. So switching to anything else means giving up my VFR. That would just hurt too much, even if it isn't the hottest ticket around. I sure would like to take a Diavel, or Ducati SuperSport for a spin.

Jose

6. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I was only referring to the S1000XR for passenger comfort.
    I wouldn't tour or carry a pillion on the S1000RR, I also had the misfortune of doing 200km on the back of the Tuono after my VFR decided to burn out an RR and stator, it was the worst bike trip ever.
    Not only is the seat up in the clouds, it is also tiny and with nothing to hold on to that is of any help.
    Plus you have to consider value for money, I can't think of any bike that would be better then the 5th gen in that respect.
    A Triumph 1050 Sprint ST is the only other alternative, it might actually be a better sports tourer, but it doesn't have the build of the VFR.
    I continually get the response from people that they can't believe it's a 2001 model, they think it's been garaged and pampered all its life, then I tell them of the fact it has 110,000km on it and that I often do dirt roads, creek crossings, long trips fully loaded and that it gets fanged on the weekends.

7. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I can and have had four bikes at the same time. I finally learned, that for me, having just one bike was a lot less hassle and more fun. That one bike has been a VFR. Today, it's an 8th gen. Why? Simple....VFR's are fun. More fun if one doesn't gripe about the little things that Honda could have done but we chose to buy one anyway. Ride, enjoy, be safe.

GatorGreg and thtanner like this.
  8. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I get that same comment about the age of my 5th gen., Oz. It's not even in perfect condition, but people are always surprised to hear its a 17 year old bike, with 65K miles on the clock.

Well ...... I did just repaint the tail section and left fairing. Although the comment should probably be looked at more as a statement on the great styling of the VFR family. The one thing I would like is a slightly slimmer tail. It really does have a bubble-butt thing going. I sprayed the rear/lower section of mine black with plasti-dip to see if I like camouflaging the size, and I think I will leave it on permanently.

Jose

9. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Sigh, I miss my Viffer...

Alaskan and duccmann like this.
  10. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Ooooh, I'd like to see a picture of that.
    Yep, she's a big arsed girl.

11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    This is why I think they are awesome.

FB_IMG_1503631967565.jpg FB_IMG_1503631762121.jpg

jasonbrownett and GatorGreg like this.
  12. proper

proper New Member

United States
    Map
    I haven't ridden other newer bikes as comparisons, but I love my 6th Gen. She was 8 yrs old with only 9K miles when I found her still looking brand new. I've added 22K thrilling miles in my 3 yrs. If anything were to happen to her, or the miles get the best of her, I'll be shopping for another low mile VFR to start a whole 'nother love affair with.
    "Old guys rule" "Refuse to act your age"
    ...at 60 myself, the VFR adds reason to keep myself in shape for many more years of riding.
    Tip - Mountain biking on desert single track gives me a good workout and keeps my reactions and balance skills tip-top.

Bubba Utah, wiremanjon and RVFR like this.
  13. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Oz,

I am in the last weeks of my last class for my graduate program. That means I haven't been getting a lot of "me" time of late. At any rate, here is a pic. of my girl with her big-booty in painted on hot-pants.

2kvfr.jpg

I might re-do it, so more yellow shows at the vent, but I really like how the bubble-butt bodywork is camouflaged above the high pipe. I actually masked off with a bunch of newspaper and sprayed with everything in place. The easy removal of the plasti-dip is great for any small spots of overspray.

Jose

OZ VFR and GatorGreg like this.
  14. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Agreed. The gripes for me are few (no slipper clutch) but if you're only gonna have one bike I can't think of any better choice than the 8th gen! It's great fun to ride and looks both modern and classic simultaneously - my Pearl White reminds me of the all white '87 I drooled over as a teenager. It's comfortable (even for the pillion), sounds awesome, and handles great. It goes very fast (0-60 in 3.0 sec), but not scary fast like the S1000RR I tested. It's a bargain to insure compared to a supersport yet it looks like a supersport (to all but the experts) and doesn't break my back like a supersport.

It has all sorts of nice conveniences like the center stand, heated grips, and self-cancelling turn signals. It has modern features like LED headlights, ABS, Traction Control and (optional) quick-shifter. When using the rear seat cowl I can actually fit a significant amount of stuff in there (Mc'Donald's :D ) without having to mar her beautiful lines with ugly tank bags, etc. It also has a fairly big tank (5.6 gal) and good fuel economy (>40 mpg) which means you can easily go over 200 miles per tank without worry when necessary (and can fit it with matching luggage for overnight trips). What other bike exists (even in 2017) that I could say ALL these things about? None!

But the bottom line is she's beautiful and fun to ride - here's my proof:

15. bedsy1972

bedsy1972 New Member

United Kingdom
    got a fifth gen absolutely love it ! remus can nice paint job gear cams etc etc but every time i take it out of britain the rr goes tits up 1st madrid then the tt iom although the iom is kind of britain but in the irish sea ! falling out of love with her which is a shame checked the rr number on the first rr when i bought it and that was off a blackbird so thats 3 rectifiers to my knowledge and its an 8 wire job with the black wire that honda installed to detect surge ! anyone with a solution would be appreciated stators tested good battery is tip top grounds are good connectors clean and no burning ! cant get an 8 wire mosfet so do i get a 7 wire and blank the black or solder the two reds and two greens and still blank the black and have 5 wire of which there is much more choice ! dont want to do computer fans or heatsink that requires half a ton of aluminium i know u members have heard it all before ! help !!!!!!!!!

16. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    The older ones are fun...

FB_IMG_1505284052348.jpg

17. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    I love my 4th gen. But I've found it's a mistake to ride a modern bike, because that's when you realise the deficiencies of an old bike. Every time I ride a modern sport bike it takes me a few rides on the vfr to get back to realising what a great all rounder it is, and ignoring it's heavy handling and so so performance. But when I do I appreciate it's qualities, it's solid feel, and just all around great bike feel.

18. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Actually, taking a ride on my 6th Gen was what made me upgrade from a CBR600F2. Even though the VFR was 100lbs heavier, it felt 50lbs lighter to ride, which I chalk up to modern steering geometry.

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I love my 6th gen VFR. Can't beat the bang for the buck. But I would so love to have a Tuono.....................

Lint likes this.
  20. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    10 years ago, the population had significantly more disposable income than today. Due to selfish political stupidity, the USA and some of the world had experienced an economy that was destroyed that is now weak and likely permanently weaker for the motorcycle buyer compared to past economies with less debt, regulation, etc. Not a political statement just the facts. Also, just another opinion, the generational demographic of the buyers has changed, they have less money due to working less and not as hard. Baby boomers knew how to get what they want by working for it. They're phasing out of toy buying and trying to retire which is harder to do now than in the past due to.....the selfish stupidity and collective incompetence of politicians. You'll always have good bike choice options. Like another poster said, right now, the 8th gen. is a good choice.

Lint likes this.