Windscreen / Airflow Questions

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Maz, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Maz

Maz New Member

It was 45 degrees when I rode to work this morning. The cooler temp highlighted how the stock windscreen flows a lot of air to the tops of my shoulders and up under the front of my helmet shield.(I'm 6 ft.0 in.)

This is ok with me in moderate temps- the air flow is smooth, but in cooler air its going to be a problem on longer (like day long) rides.

If the main air flow could go up about 3-4 inches it would solve the problem in terms of cold weather help.

Does anyone know if the OEM accessory add on windscreen deflector is able to achieve this?

It looks to me like it will, but it would be a lot of money to waste if it doesn't.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

2. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

Maz, first of all you probably should tell us what bike you're on.

From my experience what you would find with a 'slightly taller' windshield is that you would then have WAY too much buffeting of your helmet. I've never found a compromise between the nice windscreens on sportbikes that allow smooth air to reach your helmet and a slightly taller screen that raises the point of contact a few inches. Without a significant change in the rest of the aero 'envelope' it just isn't possible. You're welcome to try, of course; but my experience suggests it isn't going to happen.

My $.02...

3. Maz

Maz New Member

Thanks FoothillRyder. I should have said I am riding a brand new 1200. Honda sells an add on, its not an entirely new windscreen, I was hoping someone may have experience with it. Thanks again.

4. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    MRA makes a clip-on for most bikes, and twistedthrottle.com carries 'em. Not sure if they make one for the 1200 yet.

5. BrandX

BrandX New Member

I have the Honda add on. I'm 6 ft 3. The add on is adjustable with 3 different angles. The lowest angle puts it at the same angle as the stock screen, the highest pushes the air up a bit higher (closer to vertical). With the highest, I find that I have calm air up to my shoulders and my helmet is still out in the wind. Lowering the angle moves the still air down to my chest. It's comfortable for me, but I havent ridden with just the stock screen. I'll see if I can try it this weekend and report back.

6. tanrush

tanrush New Member

I second what Foothillsryder said. I have a 2001 VFR and had 3 after market wind screens, stock style, double bubble and sport touring. All 3 were Zero Gravity brand. I am 5'11" and my bike has helibars. Double bubble puts wind on my helmet, sport touring puts alot of wind on my helmet, stock style puts wind at the top of my shoulders/bottom of helmet. It is what I am using now. Before you spend a small fortune on windscreens just remember all brands are not created equal and their shapes vary even when they are called the same thing. (Zero Gravity double bubble will be different than a Hong Kong knock off) The HK double bubble I bought for my F4I was very tall. I also have a stock ZG screen on the F4I.
    Good luck with your search

7. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    I have a GIVI touring screen for my 99 that I'll probably put back on when the weather gets cold to keep the wind from blasting my neck and chest. It doesn't give me any head buffeting(though it does for my girl when she rides on the back) my only complaint is the wind noise it creates.

8. BrandX

BrandX New Member

Windshield testing

I did some back to back testing with the windshield and the Honda add on and these are my subjective results:

No add on: Turbulent wind hits at about my sternum, nice and quiet.
    Add on in lowest position: Wind hits at about the shoulders, still nice and quiet - perhaps quieter than no add on.
    Add on in highest position: Wind hits at about my neck, and quite loud.

I didn't try it in the middle position.

I was wearing my mesh jacket to get a good idea of airflow. I had been riding with the add on in the highest position, figuring that would give me the best wind protection. I had also been thinking I needed a new helmet because of all the wind noise I was experiencing, but now I think that the helmet is fine, it was just the angle of the windshield.

So, like most things in life, this is a trade off. If you're riding in cold weather, you may want to put the add on up to the highest position and use earplugs (which I do all the time anyway).

Cheers

9. Maz

Maz New Member

Thanks very much for the objective test results! I went ahead and ordered the Honda accessory windscreen. I think it will be what I want. Roger on the wind noise, its a trade off.

I also ordered the air foils that will offer more protection for the hands.

When I get them installed, I will do some testing and report back as well.

Thanks again.

10. Alwagbass

Alwagbass New Member

Do you have the wind deflector set yet, Maz? I am also riding a brand new VFR, and am experiencing lots of wind on the highway that I wasnt expecting.

Alan

11. Maz

Maz New Member

After reading BrandX's review awhile back, I ordered the Honda accessory windscreen and air deflectors.
    Last weekend I installed them.

I have only had a chance for a couple of rides, and none in 40 degree weather (when you can really feel where the wind is hitting you).

So far, I find the wind screen (in the highest adjustment) raises the level of where the wind hits me to mid helmet and just at the top of my shoulders, up from lower helmet and solidly hitting my shoulders. This is at about 60 mph, ( I am 6 ft 0 in). At 70 its nearer the top of my helmet and at 80 mph it seems to be mostly over the top. The deflectors seem to be doing a good job of taking most of the wind off my hands.

There is a lot of wind noise, but it is exceptionally smooth. For me thats acceptable, as the VFR is more of a sport bike set up for sport touring--more than an FJR for instance, and thats what I wanted.

As far as looks go, it gives the bike a more 'layered' look, but the bike still looks great. Installation was easy, but you do have to drill one small hole on each side for the air deflectors (although after seeing what they really do, one might consider them optional).

I am happy. When my bags come in and I can head out for an extended cruise, I will probably have a more detailed review.

12. Alwagbass

Alwagbass New Member

Well, I for one really appreciate the feedback. Is there anything worse than dropping big $$ on accessories and then not being happy with them? on your advice, I will get the windscreen, and wait a little bit on the deflector set. If i can get the airflow more to the top of my helmet (I'm only 5'10"), i will consider it money well spent.

Are you looking at the Honda hard bags, or something aftermarket? I have been mulling over the Cortech Tri-sport set for mine. It looks attractive and functional.

Alan

13. Alwagbass

Alwagbass New Member

Hey Maz, just to follow up: I installed the wind screen on my bike this last weekend, and did a couple of high-speed rides to get a feel for the wind flow. Unfortunately, the wind hits me mid helmet, right around the bottom of my visor, with windscreen in the highest position. It could be because I have short arms and sit closer to the tank and windshield than other riders. I was hoping for top-of-helmet at higher speeds, or even over the top. I will try other positions, but so far not satisfied with the results.

Anybody have any ideas about adjustments that can be made to raise it up a little higher?

Brgds, Alan

14. rlinder

rlinder New Member

It'll go a little bit higher if you remove the black plastic housings, of which limiting adjustments to 3 settings. I then bolted the deflector directly to the metal brackets with assortment of rubber washers from Homedepot. Spreayed painted the black metal brackets silver if you like to match the silver fairing next to them. It'll go even higher if I were to install a vertical extension plate between the bracket holes and deflector, but looks funky when turn up too high:). Cheers.

15. Alwagbass

Alwagbass New Member

Great idea! I was thinking along the same lines, but as usual, the ingenious folks on the motorcycle forums have already "been there" and "done that". LOL

Thanks for the suggestion, rlinder!

Alan