Wiring Diagram / 12V socket badly wired (2014 800F)

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by RossH, Feb 15, 2016.

1. RossH

RossH New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi All,
    New to the forum. Chuffed to bits with my (virtually) new 800F, except for a couple of things - suggestions grateful:

1) Can anyone kindly supply me with a wiring diagram for this bike?
    I can only find USA-based service manuals, and the shipping cost is prohibitive for my current requirements.

1) The bike came 2nd-hand with 200 miles on, plus the 12V OEM socket already installed under the seat.
    PROBLEM: I think some monkey has wired up the socket the wrong way around!
    I've got 12V switched feed running to the *outer* ring of the socket, and ground/earth at the central spot at the back of the socket (which correlates to the little nose on a typical cigar-type phone charger). And even better, the live wire to the outer ring of the socket has been *soldered* on.
    Google confirms my own experience - the outer ring terminal of the socket should be negative, and the central nose at the back should be positive. Right?!

SOLUTION: I suppose I could try to dismantle the connectors on the other side of the socket sub-harness and basically swap the + and - connector terminals around to get the polarity right at the socket. (Unfortunately cant do this at the socket, thanks to solder).
    More ambitious idea is to remove the cigar-socket and fit a Powerlet-style socket instead, however since I'd be using it to for heated gloves/soles, I need to know the safe Wattage/Amperage of the wiring & connectors used in the OEM harness.

QUESTION: Anybody out there experienced a similar fudge? Anybody out there have access to a wiring diagram for the 2014 800F??? Pleease?!
    (I have a more ambitious plan in mind, to include a switched distro block for GPS & heated clothing, plus a direct link for charging. Wiring diagram would really come in handy!)

Thanks,

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Personally I would chuck it and get a power controller and a Powerlet plug. Take a look at these two programmable products.

I have this one installed on my 5 Gen.
    Rowe Electronics Power Distribution Module

This one is a little more feature rich but does cost $100 more than the PDM60 above. I was actually contemplating on getting this for my 6 Gen but may just get the PDM60 instead.
    Arboreal Systems Neutrino Power Control Module

There are other non "active/programmable" interfaces that let you run your wiring and set the fuse trip points. Like these two products.
    Fuzeblocks FZ1

Denali Power Hub2

The beauty of all of these products is that all you need is 2 or 3 wires to connect. If you want to have both switched and unswitched outputs then ypu'll use 3 wires and only 2 if you want only unswitched outputs. The 2 main connections for either method are both to the battery +/- terminals, so no need to no wiring amperage, it's built into the box. If using switched outputs as well, then tapping into a switched wire like the license plate light is all you'd need to do. You should be able to easily trace that wire without a wiring diagram. I installed my PDM60 by tapping off of the license plate positive lead and all I needed was a volt meter, which you should have anyway if you're going to be messing with the bike electrical system.

I hope this is helpful info.

Cheers

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

4. RossH

RossH New Member

United Kingdom
    OOTV; impressive links! Thank you. Although I've enjoyed tinkering in the past, your suggested links make a lot of sense - tidy looking stuff all round!
    Norcalboy; thanks also - I wish some enterprising person would make this kind of stuff in the UK.
    For my needs, the PDM60 is a bit overkill, but the PC-8 and Fuzeblocks modules look perfect for me.
    Thanks guys!