Would you have taken the keys from this Ducati guy?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by GatorGreg, Jul 23, 2017.

?

Would you have taken the keys from this Ducati guy?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Other (explain below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Take the keys, no question about it.
    If he is concussed / confused from the accident then he needs medical help and shouldn't ride for his and others safety.
    If he is drunk then throw the book at him and maybe save some lives as well. I have no tolerance for drunk driving.
    I've seen how some people react to shock and it's not that different from being drunk. I'm sure his kids would prefer that he had a drunk driving charge than a funeral.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Eagle Six and Samuel like this.
  2. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    I'll explain further Randy. I'm also former law enforcement and military. Although I didn't specify, the cuffing of the keys from the rider would have also been from others. Anyone viewing the video has the advantage of how the incident, for the most part, unfolded and concluded. But, at the time, no one would know that. There are a many different ways this scenario could have unfolded. And, although there is a conclusion of the video, there is not a conclusion of the event and any aftermath that may have resulted. There is a possibility, depending on the actual steps that may have developed, I would have not only divulged to the police, but also to the rider, but there is too much unknown from the video or how this scenario would have gone had I acted as I described previously, or you suggest I should have.

This incident occurred in New Jersey. I'm distinctly familiar with the people of this state, the agencies, and the family in that area, as I grew up there. I think I still am relatively familiar with them as they are today. There is nothing secret in the police reports that would have been filed. As it stands my ID would have appeared and my actions as reported. They would have been more innocent my way than yours. There would be nothing to gain, for me, to have proclaimed (bragged) that I was the person that prevented a possible tragedy, as a few others may have viewed my action in a different light.

As for a possible prosecution, there may have been no prosecution as this video rolled out. Did anyone ID the guy, get a plate number? We don't know. I would hope so, but! If he had been detained, depending on the reason he was impaired there may have not been a prosecution, rather a simple moving violation. At the time I would not have had the advantage of hindsight.

I certainly understand your point and it is well given. It fits for you, but not so much for me. I don't necessary disagree with you, but knowing what little we know about this incident, I would have proceeded as I previously posted.

34468 Randy and Samuel like this.
  3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    As a NO Voter, I'll explain why.

Taking peoples keys when you are not a LEO is an easy way to get shot.

If he was a FRIEND & known to me then YEP, I'd get him to WAIT for a couple of minutes until he sorted himself out.

However,

I dont think he was drunk.
    I do think he was really embarrased to dump it on the corner & obviously in shock - but watching him drive after he didn't make any obvious impaired mistakes, he just wanted to get out of there.
    He could have had petrol / oil on his tyres from the filling station that he had just left & this was the first left that even the camaraman got wide on !!

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    From what I saw that guy was so impaired he'd have never known that his keys were taken. Yeah, maybe he was okay, and maybe he wouldn't have run into anyone, but why take the chance. A little more time to clear his head couldn't be a bad thing.

Eagle Six likes this.
  5. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    That was one of the first things I noted in the video Pete, as I'm sure other viewing did as well, how the cameraman went wide......well after observing the pass on the double yellow and accelerating to triple digits. From what little was shown at the beginning the service station looked pretty clean, although there could have been some wet spots that they both run through. The speed limit was 50 mph with a warning 15 mph for the left turn that he slowed and approached at about 55 slowing to 48 after missing the apex. It's hard to tell in the video with the camera mounted to a helmet, as the cameraman could have felt some slip from the front or rear, but I think he run it wide because he may be lacking some skills other than twisting the throttle. It's also hard to tell, but it doesn't look to me as if he is over leaning his bike. I wouldn't want to beat him up, but his second turn wasn't that great either. Maybe this is going off thread.

From the position of the Ducati on the ground, it would appear it was not going that fast, rather perhaps the rider panicked, fixated, then low sided. We don't know if he stayed with the bike, left it, how far he slid or tumbled, but the bike didn't seem to go very far off pavement, and neither the rider or the bike appeared to have impacted anything harder than the dirt surface.

I would agree with the shock clouding his judgment he may have wanted to get out of there, but more likely not from embarrassment (although I would agree possible), rather perhaps not wanting to deal with the law......maybe no insurance, maybe a warrant, maybe no license, maybe from the wrong family.

6. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Exactly - now give him 200hp & a rattlesnake to deal with (the 1199) with equally crap riding ability & he would crash.
    The reality is that MORONS can buy any bike without having the ability to ride them.

So we agree a low speed front slide when he went wide with the bike - no damage to anyone or anything.

Now thats an assumption (possibly correct !) but worth maybe getting shot over ?

Eagle Six likes this.
  7. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh Yes, I agree!

My assumption about everyone is, they are armed until I know different. I'm also armed, but in no way encourage or condone a shoot out over this type of incident. That's the part about getting involved, you never know, so better to be prepared and committed to take on whatever, otherwise perhaps it's better just to go on down the road. Everyone has choices to make, another reason why I like to be discrete when possible.

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    No I wouldn't. It's not my business even though I agree he appeared concussed. If I wasn't riding with him and I saw others already there with him I probably wouldn't even stop. If he waved me over that he needed help or there was no one to help him I would.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Ya. And you just laughed when I went down in your front yard after trying to break that tree limb with my head a few years back.

reg71 likes this.
  10. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I agree - I rewatched the vid and the guy was shuffling his feet when he walked like Muhammad Ali suffering from Parkinson's and brain damage- not to mention his pants were falling off! To me the clincher was when he toppled over and fell to the right - he looked like a boxer going down. That's when I would have grabbed the keys and declared a TKO - LOL. So far the vote is 7 votes to take the keys and 3 votes against so it seems like a strong majority agree.

Another option I suppose would have been to not help him lift the bike. Do you guys think it would have posed a fire hazard to leave it on its side - especially since he presumably just filled his tank?

11. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    OK OK, how about I change my tune to take his key.
    Then take the Duck and ride off! ;)

GatorGreg likes this.
  12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I'd roll the dude and see how many farkles I could snatch off his bike then get ahold of Gayter Greg to split the swag.

derstuka likes this.
  13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I am watching Hang Em High right now. East Clintwood wudda shot him dead.

GatorGreg likes this.
  14. Badbilly

United States
    The dude may be gayter greg just looking to sue somebody. Is that the East Clintwood film about prepping pheasants?

15. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    No. I think that was High Plains Drifter. This
    one he plays a marshal for a hanging judge but in reality, he is hunting down bad guys who tried to lynch him.

16. Badbilly

United States
    Whoops, Clint was hanging peasants not pheasants. This is of course entirely different and IMO does not apply to turkeys. Here is one man's take on that. What he misses is that in yet another Clintflick, blowing away a peasant or a pheasant with an American Eagle would be counterproductive dinnerwise.

https://honest-food.net/on-hanging-pheasants-2/

17. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Take keys, keep patient safe, and wait for ambulance and police to show up.

18. Badbilly

United States
    Remove helmet,boots, gloves, jacket and farkles. Stash in the weeds or underbrush or jusr bury the stuff before the cops get there. Give the keys to the cops and they will think you are a good Samaritan. Call gayter greg if ya get busted.

19. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    One word: Jersey.

Eagle Six likes this.
  20. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, that's it. Rob the poor fucker blind. :D
    Where is that, Tijuana?