Would you?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by E.SLC., Aug 21, 2014.

1. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Would you trade in your VFR 1200 for a VFR 1200 DCT (same condition and no cost out of pocket) and why?

2. f3racer

f3racer New Member

No. I like shifting.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    What he said.......^^^^^^
    Damn now you make me think :rolleyes: It will be cool and less stressfull for So Cal traffic.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  4. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    I know.. you could text with your left hand like all cagers do while we are riding :)

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    No. I know a guy with an FJR1300AE that has been parked for years with an intermittent issue where it just wont go into gear. Dealer support is worse than terrible and just a money pit he wont ride and can't sell. I am always wary of unique, obscure, and quirky software that I cant service myself. This Honda sounds a bit like it could easily be a difficult fix if anything went wrong and the mechanical version I know I can fix with some duct tape and rusty pliers.

6. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Good point.
    It surprises me that even Honda dealers /shops at least in my state are unfamiliar with VFR even the ones that sell the bike have no clue about it

7. jjarama

jjarama New Member

United States
    I also think about the benefits of DCT in traffic ... The 'CON' focus seems to be on trust of the Honda DCT technology ...

I haven't seen a lot of threads about DCT issues ... Is there a real concern with Honda's DCT ?

8. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't think (know) if there is a real issue... I think it's just people not trusting technology ...
    But the shifting is very smooth and fast.

9. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

No. That's an expensive transmission to replace down the road if problems and/or out of warranty. Shifting is half the fun anyway.

10. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    Hell No. My cage has a manual 6speed transmission also

Ride Red!

11. dogFM

dogFM New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I had a manual in 2010 now I have a DCT. I ve just toured round France on her- brilliant. Best if both worlds in that I can use auto or switch to manual using the paddle shift and then tell the bike if and she. I want to return to auto (I have a 2010 DCT). I originally chose a manual four years ago because I like to change gears and felt it was an integral part of riding - now I feel the DCT doesn t detract from this- it's great, however that's just my opinion - I m very happy with the bike and it doesn t worry me if people think or say I m a lesser rider because I don t shift using my left foot

12. jjarama

jjarama New Member

United States
    Well said 'dog' ...

I trust the technology is stable, and it seams to come down to a cultural difference between traditional shifting and automatic.
    For a time it was "why did I buy that foreign cruiser instead of a Harley?"
    I get that from 90% of my friends who ride (e.g., don't go there -- to an automatic)

I like the idea of a DCT ... EXCEPT, all those add-on I did to my bike!!
    Learning with each one the How-To's of modifying electronics, body, others. Kind of a shame to give up that labor of love and replace the bike because of the transmission : -)

13. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hmmmm, let's think about this for a minute. What's in a name VFR1200 "DCT"

DCT stands for............................

Dealer Controlled Transmission

Deluxe Contoured Transaxle

Delayed Control Top gear

Deliberately Confused Transmission

Delicately Constructed Tax grab

14. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Call me lazy but I really like the DCT. It shifts smooth but so can I, I just like the fact that I don't have to. For me it takes away one of the "have to's" and it makes the ride less burdened and more enjoyable. Free's up some of my ever diminishing brain cells and broadens the experience. (Honda might wanta use that one)
    Originally it was a tough decision, I was taking the manual without even trying the DCT but I got talked into trying it. I came back 5 more times to test drive both back to back, each time trying to convince myself not to take the DCT, but each time I liked it more, just took awhile to give myself permission to buy an "automatic" bike. It's been over 2 years and no regrets.

15. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Robclo,
    I'm glad you are so happy with your ride. How is the first and second gear on your DCT version. Did you have to re-flash it to get the full power?
    I'm asking just in case the opportunity comes up that I can trade it in for a DCT.

I have a 2010 1200 F with clutch and just did a re-flash and bike runs perfect now.

Thank you

16. dogFM

dogFM New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    That's the problem :)

You could transfer some of those mods across eg helibars but the stuff around the engine no- I m happy with my bike as it is, the only thing I'm doing to it is having the suspension sorted. For what it's worth round town it's normally D or S mode, freeway D mode and around the bends or playing (coming off a roundabout. Etc) it's in manual mode.
    The updated DCT version has traction control, slightly bigger tank etc- Honda may have adjusted the acceleration from launch along with the traction control - there's enough acceleration from launch for me- the fun is higher up the rev range once I m rolling - difficult decision, I got one can t stop riding the bike - I rode 180 miles yesterday to buy a pair of gloves :)

17. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes, I took a trip down to see Don Guhl, there's a few post about it in a Guhl reflash thread. Long story short, the reflash has helped but the DCT model has other restrictions then the manual that Don wants to leave alone until he figures out what the extra strain on stuff is going to do. He says there is more there, and I'm one that looks forward to more, at least when it comes to a stronger pulling usable low end.

18. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I want a DCT. I really do. I'll admit it, I am a shitty rider, always in the wrong gear, always in 4th at a stop, never knowing what gear is best to power out of a corner. I think I would be very happy with the DCT.

19. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    You are not a bad rider. You can fix that easily with practice. I think DCT option is great just expensive.

20. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I need to keep my mind on what I am doing. I trend to be busy watching for road hazards, texting drivers and runaway dogs to keep track of my gear changes.