Would you?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by E.SLC., Aug 21, 2014.

1. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I need to keep my mind on what I am doing. I trend to be busy watching for road hazards, texting drivers and runaway dogs to keep track of my gear changes.

2. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Thats why we ride VFR's, they will do what you want them to do in virtually any gear.

3. Floydy

Floydy New Member

Map
    The DCT system is little more than two separate clutches with a computer controlled gear shift. Potentially the electrics and/or switches could give rise to issues in years to come but maintenance is not going to be too much harder to deal with than with the manual bike. I like the DCT on the 1200, though it did take a while to get used to as you will use the rear brake a lot more (to balance the bike when making low speed turns). The only other 2 wheeled vehicle I had ridden previously that lacked a clutch and gear lever was a Peugeot scooter back in 2001 and that gearbox needed regular attention unlike the 1200.

I like the ease of riding especially in traffic and no more wear and tear on my clutch hand or left ankle :smile:

4. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I was thinking of your quote as I was riding on Saturday. I would say "yes" to it with one caveat, they will do what you want them to do in virtually any gear if you keep them over 5000 rpm. I found myself riding along in 4th in the 6000 range so I didn't have to think about shifting and because I liked the instant power on tap. It sounds wicked too.