Bike for Sale Wow 1986 VFR700 $5000

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Jakea2z87, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Jakea2z87

Jakea2z87 New Member

United States
    Map
  2. comradeQuestion

comradeQuestion New Member

United States
    There's an '86 750 for sale in my area for $2500 that has actually just disappeared from craigslist. It had ~20k miles though. If you want a carb'ed vfr, there should be plenty of 3rd and 4th gens available that are still in decent shape. In my area there always seems to be 2-3 3rd/4th gens for sale at any given time in good shape, and selling for less than $3K.

Jakea2z87 likes this.
  3. Samuel

Samuel New Member

United States
    Map
    IMO, MAYBE for a Perfect 750, but not for a 700...

squirrelman and Jakea2z87 like this.
  4. cbx1260cc

cbx1260cc New Member

United States
    Map
    "IMO, MAYBE for a Perfect 750, but not for a 700..."--AGREED.

It's about 60 mins away from me so if anyone is REAALY SERIOUS I'd be okay with going by to see it, take pix, hear it run etc and report back.

But as mentioned it is a 700--NOT--a 750.

As is, if as nice as pix show, $3,500 TOPS.

Ricardo

Jakea2z87 likes this.
  5. RllwJoe

RllwJoe New Member

United States
    Map
    $5K? More than it sold for when new! My first thought is "too much". However, if Honda has indeed put an end to V-4 production, then we are all proud owners of collector editions, and they are worth much more. Thanks Honda!

Jakea2z87 likes this.
  6. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Why would you care about the engine size? It's a 32 year old bike, if you want the last word in performance you would be looking in the wrong place. I've owned two 86 700's, and an 86 750, and I couldn't honestly say I felt any performance difference under street conditions.

squirrelman and Jakea2z87 like this.
  7. cbx1260cc

cbx1260cc New Member

United States
    Map
  8. Jakea2z87

Jakea2z87 New Member

United States
    Map
    I may be biased since I also have an '86 700, but the 5k seemed like a fair starting point. I'm sure the seller is accounting for offers below asking price like anyone else trying to sell things privately. My interceptor has 43,000 miles, but is near mint compared to the one on ebay with only ~7,700 miles. If I were to put mine up for sale, I would probably start at $4,000 and see what kind of interest was out there.

9. Samuel

Samuel New Member

United States
    Map
    The 83 VF750F was the bike that got me interested in motorcycles. The 86 VFR was the one that slapped me upside the head, made me buy one, and got me hooked. My first bike was a RWB 86 700 that I kept mostly stock and my second was a Blue 87 700 that I moderately modded. I enjoyed them both but deep down, I always regretted settling for the slightly neutered versions of that gen VFR. If I were to buy one today, it would for sure be a 750 - for the nostalgia/history and Just Because.

Btw, fwiw, my 87 engine and exhaust noises absolutely blows away my 2015 in terms of sound! I've had a shorty Delkevic and a full length Yosh canister on my 8th gen and neither sounds anywhere near as good as my old 87 and Yosh combo - not even close!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Glenngt750 and Jakea2z87 like this.
  10. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    There is something very very special about these "Loss Leaders". They remind me of a fine instrument. Still, today, they handle decently, sound exceptionally good too. Going down a highway at 160 km/h with the engine singing is pure magic. One day if we're still allowed to operate them on "Public" roads, they'll be worth something.
    It's funny that someone will pay $5000.00 for a 5 year old bike with 8000 miles on it, but don't think one of the best bikes EVER made w/ 3800 miles is not worth that much. I guess it is worth what he sells it for. I'd probably go as high as $4500.00. They just don't make em' like that, anymore!
    If a person wants a Collector piece, this certainly fits. Wish it was the 750, fer sure.

Samuel likes this.
  11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    maybe in FantasyLand that bike would sell @ $5000 or so, but not in today's market. :(

12. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    if you like the bike, why fuss and quibble over 50 cc ?

Jakea2z87 likes this.
  13. Jakea2z87

Jakea2z87 New Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed, both bikes were on the track the 24hr speed record when they came out. I picked up a RIDER magazine from August 1986 that has the story, and it's a pretty awesome read. FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

14. OldSchoolInterceptor

OldSchoolInterceptor New Member

United States
    Map
    Where are you located? That’s almost exactly what I’m looking for. Good shape VFR under $3k. Preferably an 86’ 750 or 700 RWB. I’m in Spokane, WA and it’s rare to see any older Interceptors that are in decent shape that are reasonably priced.

15. comradeQuestion

comradeQuestion New Member

United States
    I'm in Portland. Have only seen a few 2nd gens worth a damn on craigslist over the last year or so I've been interested in VFRs. Frankly those older VFRs are getting to the age where all the good ones have been crashed or are museum pieces, and all that you have left is rusting messes that the owners forgot about for years. There is a guy I met who daily rides an '86 RWB 750 (salvage title), but that's the only one I've seen in the flesh. He's a mechanic (PO of my 5th gen had him do some work), and said he's going to ride it until it mechanically totals itself.