Young New Rider with VFR750F

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by WhiteFalcon777, Aug 16, 2012.

1. WhiteFalcon777

WhiteFalcon777 New Member

Hey everyone! I am very excited to be a part of this forum! I already appreciate all the advice and tips I will receive from the all the riders on here.

Here is a little bit about me:

I started riding almost 3 years ago. I finally convinced my dad that motorcycles could be riden safely and that it could be a great father-son hobby. My dad and I made our first purchase of a several boxes that contained various 1986 Ex500 parts. My dad was the repairman/engine. I was the deal-finder, researcher, and assistant. During this time I did the MSF course and really enjoyed it (I recommend it to any new rider). My dad and I quickly realized that one bike would not be enough, so I helped find a beautiful 1989 Ninja 600. After a few months riding the 600, I discovered that I loved the power, weight, and stability of the larger cc bike and the in-line 4 engine.

Last summer I said goodbye to my dad's bikes and hello to my new wife. My young wife and I moved to Anderson, IN for me to pursue a master's degree in Environmental Science. Then I caught the fever. I needed to ride again. I searched craigslist for a deal a poor grad student could afford.

That is when I found a Honda VFR. Using some spare change, money from my sold electric guitar, and some birthday money, I was able to cough up the $1200 I needed to by a 1995 Honda VFR750F. It is relatively new for a VFR at only 33K. It is currently all stock (to my knowledge) except for a throaty D&D pipe and its missing side fairings and belly pan.

I am still trying to figure out how to best ride the bike. It has a torquey lower RPM powerband like a parallel twin, but has a second powerband above 6K. I am not sure which way is the best way to ride this bike. I still consider myself a rookie when it comes to bikes. I will have many questions for the veteran members on this forum.

Well, that is about it! Thanks for letting me join your group!
    WhiteFalcon777

2. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard! Please post some pics or these guys will start getting angry, hehehe :tongue:

Pics of wives and bikes are equally accepted. :smile:

3. WhiteFalcon777

Sorry, I am still trying to figure out the whole picture thing.

Honda VFR750 Day 1.jpg

It is not the best picture. My wife took it without warning. I will try to get more pics of the bike up.

WhiteFalcon777

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the madness Whitefalcon, Nice to see Father and son bonding with motorcycle great story and good luck with your project to bring the bike back to life :)

5. EFritch1

EFritch1 New Member

Welcome, from a fellow Hoosier. I live in Kokomo - the MC and I just went to Anderson the other weekend for a party - good times! Good luck with your schooling too! More schooling = bigger paychecks = more toys = more scars = more girls (opps you're married ;).

6. WhiteFalcon777

Haha! Thanks Scubalong and EFritch1. I am starting to slowly bring this bike up to par. I changed the coolant today (much needed since it was a dark green). I am waiting on an oil filter to arrive any day. I am thinking I need a new chain and sprockets since there is some rust on my chain. It is my first time looking for a chain. I am so confused to what I actually need. X or O? How many teeth? I have a service manual but I can't find out what the stock number of teeth is for a 95 VFR750F.

How should I prioritize cleaning up this bike? What is most essential to the bike's longevity, performance, and safety?

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Hey there Falconboy, great story, first thing are Tires-are they in good shape , oil change (thats what the filter is for) Battery in good shape and keeping a charge. I'm sure if you go to or call your local stealership and ask them to look up what chain came stock they would help, or go to Bikebandit.com and you can type in make,model and year of your ride for a chain---Or ask Stoshmonster --- the guru of all VFR's--Good luck and glad to see a newbie wearing the gear AWESOME

8. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    X-ring is the way to go for a chain, and if I recall correctly, the stock gearing is 16F/43R. Get a whole kit and do both sprockets and the chain all at once.

You will need a chain breaker/riveting tool in order to do this job - my local shop rented me one for $10 for 24 hours.

The 4G is reliable like a hammer. Keep fresh oil in it, and you should be golden. Valve clearances are supposed to be checked every 16k miles, but most say that they don't need any adjustments until 32k+ miles.

9. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I just thought I should offer that the chain may not need replacement. A little surface rust from sitting doesn't mean that it is worn out. However, if it has 33k on it, you probably are due so carry on and ignore this useless post..:chaingun: