Your iPhone and you. A tale of tragedy and triumph

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Baddabing, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Baddabing

Baddabing New Member

So the other day I was riding, I had my phone in the mount, which was a friction type holder. When all of the sudden, swoosh!! The iPhone 4 went flipping off the mount, SWACK!! It hit the ground, thwip, thwip, THWIP! Three cars in a row ran over it.

Warning, graphic picture.... Avert your eyes if you are squeamish.
    The aftermath, iPhone 4 broken.
    [​IMG]

So I had insurance, *cheers* *applause*, they sent me a new 4S. *more cheers and applause*
    Decided I would find the best case I could get. Enter LifeProof.

Water proof, shock proof, dirt proof, weather proof.
    [​IMG]
    Disclaimer, no iPhones were injured in this photo.

Seems to be a great case, the only down side is that it has a bit more bulk to the phone. But it comes with a heavy duty belt thingymajigger. Being as I am not one to wear my phone on my belt. Pet peeve of mine.

So I adapted it to the VFR.
    [​IMG]
    Made a little metal bracket, drilled a hole in belt clip, took spring and back of belt clip off, bolted it to the left control top bracket.

Here you can see the way it locks onto the phone.
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

It locks over the top and around the bottom. It also has a slide to lock the lock from moving. It has a water proof head phone jack. So I think it will work fantastic.

OH yeah, it pivots too!!
    [​IMG]

2. orion3814

orion3814 New Member

not a fan of apple but cool thing you dun thar man

3. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Nice job, sorry about the demise of your previous phone. Are you really taking pics of you phone with another phone?? Sorry, had to............:potstir::whiteflag:

4. Baddabing

Baddabing New Member

Yes! Next I am going to divide by zero!

5. michaels214

michaels214 New Member

Map
    I usually just throw my iphone in my backpack! lol. No offense or anything intended but I have to ask..Why do you choose to have your phone mounted on your bike for use? Do you like to see if someone is trying to get hold of you? Listen to music? GPS? Just wondering cause when im riding I dont care who is calling me lol - like I said i throw my iphone in my bag and check it when I stop for a cig or when I get to where I need to go.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I use my bike to go to job sites, especially if the job is more than 30 miles away. I don't work in an office, my office is the clients place of business, so I don't always know where I am heading to until that morning. With the iPhone and the Mapquest App, I can get turn by turn directions from my phone. It links to the Bluetooth communicator I have installed in my helmet. Sometimes I get a phone call and it's my choice to answer it or not. I'll take a call if it's my client I'm meeting that day or the office but I don't have 20 minute conversations. More like, "I'm almost there, be there in 10 minutes", "What do you mean they cancelled?, I'm almost there" (That's happened a few times actually). Sometimes I'll listen to my play list when I'm out on the open stretches with little to no traffic around (rare in California, but it happens).

There are two things I don't do, text and try and dial out while I'm moving. If I need to call someone back for urgent reasons, I wait until I can pull off the Highway/Freeway and call if I need to. i.e. "Got tied up behind an accident, I'll be a little more than 30 minutes late", "Yes we are on for lunch today, as soon as I get done with this meeting, I'll call and let you know I'm on my way", etc.

7. michaels214

michaels214 New Member

Map
    Cool that makes a lot of sense..Im glad you do it responsibly and for business purposes - and not just to be slick and cool with your iphone all mounted up awesome-like on your bike - cause its pretty cool! lol

8. Baddabing

Baddabing New Member

Like OOTVS, I use mine for music and GPS. With my earbuds I can also take and make calls. SIRI is useful for changing tracks with the push of the home button I can name the artist or song and she will play it.

9. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I shot mine off the hood of my car at 30 mph and it still works. The screen has a crack in it though. I tried to get it to take a picture of its own damn self to show everyone but I can't find the button that does that and there's no app .....yet

10. Baddabing

Baddabing New Member

There is an app, it's called "a mirror", its free and is already installed in almost every bathroom in America!

11. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Shit, I never look in mine. I even shave in the shower so I don't scare the living shit out of myself. :thumbsup:

I only want to see The Walking Dead on AMC.

12. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Would rather have a AMC Pacer er maybe a Gremilin...

Hate apple products with a passion, and not tawking about the round red things in the tree...

Skully looks good with his ruby red eyes, but not on ur bikie, its rubbing your tripple tree the wrong way, I gots one hanging from the mirror in my current cage thats been thru every car I've owned...it may be older than you ; )

13. Baddabing

Baddabing New Member

Then it's an antique! I have had that skull for 4 years. I have been trying to get him off the key, but he keeps biting my finger.

14. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I have a tankbag with an old map pocket that I'll be using for the GPS. It stays there or in my pocket. I'm a fan of the OtterBox for my 4S. bro-in-law launched his off a work truck at 55 and just scuffed the corner of his crackberry. worked fine, no broken anything. But I saw the lifebox after I got the otter.