your opinion on best helmet

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by hoblick, May 20, 2009.

1. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    I have had a Shoei X11 and now I have an Arai Profile. Here is my comparison.

Both are great helmets, I find them equal in comfort, ventilation, aerodynamics, quality of material and construction.

The Shoei's face shield system is much, much, better than the Arai. It's much easier to take off and put back on, it's easier to flip open and close on the bike with gloves on. Advantage Shoei.

The Arai's shin curtain is built in and thus available all the time, the Shoei snaps on/off and it's in the way, thus it stays off ten months out of the year where I live. Advantage Arai.

Both current models have an easy snap to hold the end of the chin strap in place, but the pre 2008 Shoei's had a very difficult snap so pre '08 this was an Arai advantage.

I was perfectly happy with my X11, which is now 5 yrs old. I replaced it with the Arai only because I wanted professionally installed CB radio headset and that is only available on the Arai Profile. Otherwise, I would have bought another X11.

But both are great helmets and I am happy with the Arai. I only wish the shield install/remove was easier.

I'd say go with the best fit and make sure you don't get one that's too big. A loose fit is a very common mistake, it should be very snug when new.

Ron

2. Raro

Raro New Member

Map
    I went to a bike store that I knew had a good selection of helmets from different makers.
    I didn't care about color and didn't look at the price. I just started trying them on one by one. Finally, I narrowed it down to a couple. I then just walked around the store wearing each one.

I chose an Arai Signet (I think now its called the "Profile"). It just fit my noggin the best. Luckily the price was within my budget and the color I wanted was in stock.

They all have a ton of colors or graphics so don't focus on that aspect.

3. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok I'd have to say the Superlite 17k (25 lbs) with the option of the SL 37 whiskers. They also have more void space for breathing and it feels great. Any of the Miller helmets are significantly lighter (22-23 lbs) but it doesnt give you the a great view like the SL 17.......Oh wait wrong forum...Shoei RF 1000.

4. jay956

jay956 New Member

HAHA i was thinking no way did this dude say his helmet weighs 25lbs, then i saw the avatar

5. madduxca

madduxca New Member

i have a shark rsr2 "muggerridge" and love it! super comfy, super light, good ventalation (due to a huge forehead vent) and the easiest visor swap around. they can be found, brand new, on ebay for around 250. this is a high end lid and a steal @ the price.

6. Rick123

Rick123 New Member

helmet

If I had more oval head I would go for Shark. Very light, good ventilation and excelent face shield system. Saying that have some sugestions about Shoei. X-11 excelent vents, but becouse of number of them I found it noisier than RF-1000. A lot of turbulance while you tourning your head to the side. RF-1000 better. And I agree different fit of the same size. I coudn't wear X-11 for more then an hour . No problem with RF-1000. In my opinion X-11 is a more track oriented. RF-1000 for every day street use.

7. Heretic

Heretic New Member

I bought an Arai Quantum 2 a couple of months ago - great helmet.

8. rodm850g

rodm850g New Member

helmet

Guys,
    I'vebeen an Arai guy for a while least since 97....Had a Quantum E then I got an RX7RR4 and love it fits my goard well, good ventilation, peripherals,haven't had need of ear plugs for a while.....but if it don't fit your head it don't matter....if it fits thats your helmet.....I like my Arai....
    Rod

9. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Arai Quantum FTW!!!

10. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I would start by the helmet that best fits. Then you can look into features.
    Arai has several head shapes and different sized replaceable pads all meant to custom fit the helmet to your head as much as possible.

Fit/Safety
    Features
    Style

in that order

Lots of brands to chose from
    Arai
    Shoie
    Shark
    Scorpion
    HJC
    Others

11. HeelFan

HeelFan New Member

Map
    I've had Arai, Suomy, Bell, and (3) Shoei's. If you've got a "round" dome like me - Shoei is the best way to go.

12. Mobtown

Mobtown New Member

United States
    Map
    Scorpion EXO-700

13. steven113

steven113 New Member

Last month I purchased the new rf1100 from shoei, my former lid was the rf1000. If the rf1000 fits you well you will love the rf1100 even more. The helmet has all the positive features of the 1000 with even beter venting and less wind noise. +1 for the new shoei rf1100

14. shorawitz

shorawitz New Member

Map
    I bought the RF1000 a few months back on a descent sale. Of course it was more expensive than the HJC and others (except Arai) but it fit my head the best. I'd like to upgrade to a RF1100 or better, but I guess I'll wait and upgrade as needed. It's gives descent noise protection, but I where plugs. Descent air flow, but I think it could be better.

15. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    I mentioned in my ride review of my new bike, that I just got an X-12. I decided to try this new helmet because we had RF1000's and loved them. I got my wife and daughter RF1100's, and they love them.

The X-12 flows more air than any helmet I have ever wore. It is also extremely light and has great viability. It's my new fav.

16. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
  17. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
  18. Tat3

Tat3 New Member

Map
    I have HJC FS-15 Surge MC2.

I'm a fan of Schuberth ones, but those are just out of my budget. C3 looks awesome :)

19. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    This is aN older thread recently revived. I posted in it last year and i stand by my post to an extent.

Fitment is the most important feature in a helmet. Plushy lining, washable, air flow, quick change visors all should come after fitment and safety. Many people are out there wearing a helmet that is too large for them. Not a good thing. Some people purchase based on cool grafix. No no...

I have an Arai QuantumII. Fit is excelent (for me). All day comfort I don't even notice after 8 hours of wear. Now I will be coming up on a helmet replacemnet soon and frankly Arai is pricing themselves out of my wallet. After performing a lot of research, Iam pretty confident that most major mfgs offer a decent product as long as it fits. I personally think AGV, SCORPION and SHARK are producing some great lids.

The scorpion EXO750 and the SHARK RSR2 are particularly great deals lots of bang of the buck rivaling or surpassing the top brands. After recently trying on a EXO 750 that is probably going to be my next purchase. Fits my dome as good as my QuantumII at a third of the price, comfort and safety is up there or surpassing some top tier mfgs.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  20. 07VFR03TLR

07VFR03TLR New Member

I have 2 arai rx7's, a shoei x-9, 3 HJC (all Spies models) and just picked up a scorpion. If you want the best flowing and light models get the arai or shoei. the best bang for the buck is probably the scorpion, it's like a poor man's arai. I wear the HJC's because they were inexpensive and fit me pretty well. Just make sure you air them out and keep a good coat of wax or crystal glow on them.