Your opinions on a HID kit please...

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by winaje, Nov 15, 2009.

1. winaje

winaje New Member

Postage Sucks!!!

Well, it seems unlikely that I will be buying from DDM, as they want to charge $140US to post and order of $150 US to me here in Australia :eek::eek::eek:

Will have to look for other alternatives...

2. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
    This is who I used. Their shipping to Canada was reasonable, and a year later (and about 12,000 KMs of use), they are as good as new.
    www.xenonrider.com

3. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    ouch! Did you try emailing them or just use their auto shipping calculator? They might be able to work something out with you.

4. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
    I was very interested to read this:

Disclaimer

Are Xenon HID light systems street legal?

Every country and jurisdiction has its own rules and regulations governing the use of automotive lighting. Xenon HID lighting systems that are supplied with the vehicles from the factory are DOT approved. The same OEM manufacturers that supply all the major car companies of the world also make our kits. NO AFTERMARKET XENON HID lighting system from any source is DOT approved if installed outside of the factory. These kits are not street legal for use on public roads as they are. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for customers who violate the terms of sale in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Check ur PM

The price for shipping is crazy:crazy::crazy:
    Check ur PM I might be able to help you.

6. winaje

winaje New Member

Further to this, I can buy a 55w Hi/Lo slim ballast H4 2 bulb kit for $90USD and a 55w slim ballast H7 2 bulb kit for $70USD. Shipping to my companys Colorado office is $13USD. I think I'll get one of the guys over there to buy them for me and just bring them over the next time they fly down under...

7. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    I put a biXenon in a old Katana two years ago and my friend rides daily with no issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a 55watt system and imo it's way to bright! 35 watts is more than enough. A 35 watt HID is out putting about 3x that of a 55 watt halogen.:smile:

8. winaje

winaje New Member

Thanks Benny, see it's funny, because that's the kind of light output I'm looking for! So will put H4 BiXenons and H7 high beams in my 6th Gen, both in 55W, hehe.

One other question; I believe that they are similar to stadium style lights that take a minute or so to "warm up". Is this correct? Regarding high beams, I assume that the BiXenons use the same "light" but just change the projection pattern when switching from low to high, but what about the H7s? I can accept the "warm up" time the first time, but do they take a minute or so EACH time you turn them on, such as when you turn them off then back on again after a car passes?

Thanks again...

9. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    About 10 seconds to get bright. unless you get an OEM Hella or Philips, that get bright in less than a second, but cost about $300. and up to $700.

And yes the BiXenon have a servo that spins the bulb a 1/4" back for High beam.:smile:

Also, 4300 kelvin will be the brightest temp.