Your worst injury motorcycling?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by RVFR, Mar 10, 2007.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    After reading the last post by cad600 in his a temp to put a swing arm off a VFR on to his FZR, got me thinking, ok whats your worst injury? not to bring back any bad times or make light of it still, some stuff is good to reflect back on.

Here's mine,
    Broken collar bone, could have been so much worse, this one was a double compound where one part of the bone came up through the skin the other half was laying on my artery that worked my right arm, one slip the wrong way would have had me bleed out before they could have done anything, whew hairy times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bike after the fact.

[​IMG]

Watch out for drunks that pass out on the freeway

2. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Yikes!:fear:

I guess I'm one of the lucky. I've never been injured on a motorcycle in such a manner that required medical attention, ever. If this is recent, get well & back on a bike soon.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

3. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    I would bet you are a religious man now...so glad you made it.

My only street crash I lost to a red Van(BANGING HEAD ON WOOD TABLE) please motorcycle gods no disrespect... landed me a light concussion, broken right foot, and knee damage that got scoped. I get cautious sometimes riding now, its not the track.

thinking of your bike picture I only have seen one comparable where the guy lived. When I ran a shop a friends brother in law/customer, a well known privateer racer/announcer named Mike Fitzgerald(did great at Daytona a few times apparently) got hit from behind going to get apack of smokes, no gear. Geezer in a cadillac passed out and hit him going 40 while stopped, pitched him 35 feet, crushed pelvis and so much more. It ruined him. The CBR 600 he was on was unrecognizable, we couldn't tell what it was but for knowing.

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Strret bikes:Bruise the size of a quarter on leg, pulled ligaments in hand. 75 MPH low side and slide/tumble. ATGATT!

Dirt bikes: Collars, shoulders, knees, wrists and numerous bruises and rash.

Now on bicycles, 17 bones (2 compunds) concussion, coma, internal injuries in one crash. (I hate bicycles, seems the slower I go, the worse I get hurt!)

I'm older now, I try not to do that c**p anymore!

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Its behind me, but still fresh in my mind, feel it every second of every day. you just get use to it.....Roll on.

6. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    :target: RVFR assuming thats not the same vfr your on now?

I got off much easier when i was young and stupid(okay now im older and hopfullyless stupid) hit a corner too hot, wearing shorts and tanktop hit some gravel ended up with road rash down my leg arm shoulder. still have a few scars took over 8weeks to heal but still etched in my head, would of walked away without a scratch if i was wearing the right gear

7. keet

keet New Member

Map
    on my honeymoon (1980),,,some dumb girl pulled a left right into my lane going thru a traffic light..i hit her right front fender,bounced off her roof and ended up in the intercection about 30 feet from impact ..i was knocked out for a few seconds(thanks helmet)...but only had a sprained wrist and cracked/and or broken ribs...the goldwing was totaled....my wife got tossed with me and got a bruise on her ankle...so..i think we lucked out all in all...fortunately i had friends to stay with out there in santa cruz..we had trucked from NH//took us about 7 weeks at that point....glad u are getting better....it sucks when someone causes your injuries tho...

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep I have a different VFR now same 4thGen thou, love that bike. Ah man. I see I should have should stated this happen back in 99, all thou it's still with me every second of everyday, lots of nerve damage. Still isn't keeping me off the VFR. If I was the one that caused this, then that might be a different story, as I didn't see this coming, next thing I knew I was going through the air.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  9. MrDe

MrDe New Member

Man, that looks like it hurts ... I know it makes me twinge. :yield: Knock on wood (and anything else I can find for luck) ... bumps, bruises, and scrapes on dirt bikes. :biggrin: I've never gone down on a street bike while moving (many close ones in 40 years, but somehow got out of them ... and often can't remember how!?).... I tend to fall over while standing still though ... :smash:

10. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Somehow after over 100,000 miles on the street, I've never been down, some of that is being lucky, some driver and road awareness, and some being lucky again...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  11. green1

green1 New Member

I was stopped at a red light at 2am and was hit by a taxi that left 66 feet of skid marks,Doctor the next day said don't lift anything heavy,i asked for how long and he said the rest of my life.He later explained that back injuries take a long time to heal and me being young would probably never get fully healed,being young we forget to take it easy when we're a little sore.As it turns out the Dr was right,twenty + years later my back still bothers me if i lift something heavy

12. grinder

grinder New Member

Not sure if I want to respond to this one. Don't want to jinx myself. Touch wood. I crashed a number of times in my younger years, young, stupid, riding too fast, unstable bikes etc. Never hit anything except the road. The worst I ever did was bruise my hip, could hardly walk for a week but overall pretty minor. I always rode with good gear on and a full face helmet, once they became available in the mid 70's. The helmet saved me one time.

13. brianereed

brianereed New Member

Compression fracture of my L3 vertibrae in my back when a guy pulled out in front of me. Pretty much healed now, but killed my entire summer of '04.

That's when I decided I needed antilock brakes.

Practice your emergency braking everyone. You never know when you'll need it.

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Man I can't agree more, those few precious micro seconds are where its at. So yes go out and practice, it'll really wake you up too to what is going on and how to handle it, don't wait till you need em, then go Oh Shit!

15. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    The worst to date would have to be a compression fracture of L1, which was done in a ATV mishap. I flipped going up a hill & took the impact & weight of the machine on my back; it folded me like an accordian.

Second, three cracked ribs, a broken right thumb & a scalp abrasion attempting to avoid t-boning a deer. Alcohol played a part in this one, completely sober I don't think I would have dropped the bike. I had been on my way home to get my jeep & more money to return to the all female shoe show. Instead I spent a few hours in the ER getting xrays & rocks dug out my scalp(helmet use would have avoided that part).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  16. vfrjj

vfrjj New Member

Hey man sorry for the injuries

hope you can get back in the saddle soon

ride and never stop

17. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

5 broken bones in my hand,wacked a tree during an ECEA enduro. On the
    street just some road rash.

18. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    I had a car turn in front of me a few months after I had started riding. I did a Superman impersonation over the bonnet, landed on my right shoulder. The armour in my jacket did its job, although my shoulder was very sore for a few weeks. Minor gash on my right arm just below the elbow, bruising on my legs & feet.

19. pontiacformula99

pontiacformula99 New Member

I layed my last bike down just 4 days after getting it. Some kid pulled right out in front of me and left me about 2 feet between him and a big dually. I front indo'd the bike and got slowed down enough before I lost it... I got away with only some rash on my knee and a gash to my elbow, but it sure opened my eyes. My helmet didn't even get a scratch on it, until I took it off and threw it at the guy... I got lucky, and now I treat all stopped autos as suspects...