Zero Gravity "Sport Touring" Windscreen..Anyone using

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by benjammer, Aug 13, 2007.

1. benjammer

benjammer New Member

Hey All...........I'm thinking about purchasing the Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windscreen for my RWB '07 Interceptor.
    I was wondering if anyone has one installed on their bike, and if it makes a difference or not.

Thanks for the input.

Attached Files:

2. kajinvfr

kajinvfr New Member

hey guys,i have a givi windscreen for a 1998 vfr.these are 3 inches tall than stock with a flip at the top.keeps the wind off for sure.i paid $140 for it new and will sell it dor $5o plus $15 shipping .it is black with a small hole in the top center where i hung my compass.phone is 918-825-7861.

3. SHAWN

SHAWN New Member

I think it looks crap but I'm interested to hear if it works. Saw on the site somewhere questions about MRA screens ( I think ) and the general consensus is that the standard Honda screen is still the best, I wonder if a 2007 model screen fits my 2002, its higher I believe. Maybe you are going to waste your bucks.

Shawn.

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I'm 6' tall.

I currently have a Targa Sport Touring screen on my 2000. It is 2" taller than stock & I get noticeable buffeting when I ride. There is a ZG Double Bubble sitting on my workbench waiting to be installed when I get back. A comparison of the two will be posted very shortly after.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    KC - will be interested in your comparison since you are heavy on details type of guy. I have the DB and am hooked on it. I was flipping back and forth between stock and DB, but lately I'm liking the DB alot.

MD

6. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the Zero-G DB Dark Smoke and have owned 3 other of their sheilds. This one is a bit bigger than stock, but doesn't look funny like the really big one. No buffeting and It looks pretty trick on the Red.:biggrin: :caked: :lever:

[​IMG]

7. cirv

cirv New Member

I installed the sport touring version and am very pleased with the results. CIRV

8. Spike

Spike New Member

On my '98, I used to run the stock one in the summer, and then switch out to the Givi one in the winter or if I was taking a longer trip. It was a noticeble difference to me, and the screens switch out fairly quickly and easily. Haven't yet gotten the Givi, or the ZG sport touring one for the '04, because I rarely take long trips now a days.

9. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

I have the ZG DB and it is really noticeable from the Stock no buffeting and she feels rock steady at speed. I won't go back to my stock screen. My 2 pennies

10. VFRTec

VFRTec New Member

Have the ZG DB (Dark Smoke) and like it. I don't notice a great deal of improvement over the stock, but the difference is noticeable.

BTW, ZG has great customer service!

11. Florida

Florida New Member

Map
    The ZG Sport Touring screen works great for me (5' 7"). I have Convertibars. The ZG ST gives excellent wind protection even with the bars in the highest position. No buffeting; just the right amount of pressure on my chest. However, my girlfriend (5' 9" and riding on the much higher passenger section of the seat) gets a lot of helmet buffeting over 70 mph.

12. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Map
    stock screen

I took my stock screen off the day I got my bike . They had a double bubble in stock at the dealer and they threw it in . I figured I would save the stock one incase I decided to sell it I could put it on and it would still be new .The other day I though about getting an sr windshild tinted from zero gravity. so before I spent money I stuck the stock one on for a try . I hate it ,the wind and rain hit me in the neck (i'm 6'1)and the buffiting is terreble . I also dropped my bike in the geroge and the only damage? you guessed it a big scratch on the stock windshield

13. nitronorth

nitronorth New Member

give it a try, only you will know how it works for you..

As for me , at 5'9, I tried one, hated it as it took away all my body lift ..My last bike came with one and the high bars, gained nothing as put me back in the same position relative to the shield, so I ebayed them away and myself love the stock setup.But then I enjoy the clean airflow on my helmet as this is one of the few bikes i can ride with my visor open at 60 mph. The db I tried ruined that as it caused me turbulence right at eye level.

.With the stocker I get the nice clean airflow from the neck up when riding upright., just as its designed to, .perfect for me, And I couldnt see over the thing when laying on the tank, something I do a lot on those 1000km days.For me even the regular DB screwed it up..Although I did end up with a db that i cut way down as I like the black. it still looks goofy sticking striaght up, but the black is nice..

Everyone is different tho, I'd say pick up a used one if u can and see what you think!

hey. you guys who don't like the stocker , i could use a cheap 00 stocker??

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  14. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I installed the ZG Double Bubble today. After seeing it on the bike, I kinda like the DB look. I do wish I would have gotten the light smoke instead of the dark but oh well. I only paid $40 for it including shipping so I really can't complain. I put new grips on my bike today so I have to wait until tomorrow to road test it.

KC-10 FE out...

15. Moneysoon

Moneysoon New Member

I have the ST on my '98. When I picked up the bike it had the stocker on it. The ride home was 450 miles in as much as 40 MPH head winds. "Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping 'cross the plains"!! Miserable. When I got home I switched to the ST. The bike also had/has Heli bars. I have yet to hit 40 MPH headwinds again but I also have not been exhausted from hanging onto the bike at 70 since then either. At 5'9" I would not go back to stock height for anything; my ZG ST is on to stay.

There is a website to get one at a really good discount. If I find that I will post it.

16. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Map
    Cant decide

I put the dark tint Double bubble back on today to go for a 6/7 hour ride .It may rain. but I think I like the lower stock shield better . I did not like the wind and noise of the stock shield but got used to it real quick. I dont like the angle of the double bubble I quess.I may get a tinted sr shield to use for riding everyday and use the double bubble for touring so I dont have to decide

17. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

As promised, here is my comparison of the Zero Gravity Double Bubble & Targa Sport Touring Screen. The Sport Touring screen looks just like stock but is 2" higher As I said earlier, I would have preferred to have the ZG in light smoke but I got it on closeout on Ebay for only $40. For your comparison purposes, I am 6' tall.

Apearance: The ZG simply looks nicer, is thicker & appears to be made of better plastic.

ZG-1 & T-0

Mounting: The ZG has simple little tabs that slot into fairing just like the stock screen. The T has a stupid little bracket that inserts into the fairing. After you do that, you have to thread PLASTIC screws thru the screen to attach it to the stupid brackets.

ZG-2 & T-0

Performance (fair weather): The ZG has a very noticable reduction in buffeting compared to the T. It also buffets less than the stock screen. To make sure I wasn't imagining things, I put the stock one on after a run with the T & sure enough, the stock screen also buffets less than the sport touring one.

ZG-3 & T-0

Performance (foul weather): In rain, the T simply has the rain roll off it where the air stream blows it. The ZG for some reason allows the rain to build up to the very center point of the screen & then it flys directly into your chest.

ZG-3 & T-1

With a score of 3-1 the ZG :first: trounces the Targa Sport Touring Screen.

KC-10 FE out...

18. benjammer

benjammer New Member

KC - Thanks for the update. I believe I'll go with the ZG DB.

19. pres589

pres589 New Member

MRA screen

I have an MRA Spoilerscreen on my VFR and I didn't like it. I'm 6'5" so taller than most people in these types of threads. The screen isn't much taller than stock until it hit the spoiler lip on the top edge, at which point the lip stuck up about 1.5". I eventually pulled the MRA off and took a run at speed without any shield to see what that was like, and up to 75 mph (already running way north of the speed limit, so as fast as I dared) it was better than the stock or MRA screens. So I cut the thing down so the trailing edge was even with the ends of the "horns" at the screen mount. Better, but not great. So I cut it again, it's now about 2 inches short of the back of the mounting horns.

And it's still not that good. If I tip my head up so I'm facing slightly skyward, and sitting as tall as I can with my ass still on the seat, it's really smooth and quiet. Anything less (read: sitting normally) still gives me a buffeting effect, creating a booming at the back base of my helmet. I'm not sure what to do about this.

My next plans are to cut the shield down again so it's more of a V shaped device, and try to find a Whisper Strip for my Shoei TZ-R. I bought the TZ-R because it was supposed to be a pretty quiet helmet, and when I'm in clean air it is, but the thing doesn't vent well and with the booming it's really no better overall vs. my old Scorpion EXO-400. Here soon I'll start a new thread about wind and buffeting and try to fix this issue with my VFR experience. I will say that my cut down windshield makes the VFR look pretty sporty compared to stock or with the spoiler on the MRA.

20. whynot?

whynot? New Member

Have both the MRA Vario Touring and the ZG sport touring both worked a lot better then stock. I use the MRA Vario as I found that depending on which helmet I am using, the spoiler on different settings can be used to compensate for helmet aerodinamic diffrences. Helmets Nolan 102 and SHOEI RF1000.

MRA Vario looks like better built but also almost twice the price. If I would not by the MRA vario first probaly would stay with ZG.

If you set up your bike for sport side the ZG looks better with the seat cowl installed and passager grabs remowed.

If you set your bike to the touring side and plan on putting on long miles , have saddle bags; the MRA Vario gives you possibilities of fine touning even for freeway (close to triple didgits) or just street riding slower pace.

I am 6' and use GenMar bar reisers - inseam 32"

Hope this helps