'02 Rear Fender Removal

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by jp55, Nov 20, 2003.

1. jp55

jp55 New Member

I'd like to remove the hideous rear fender on my 2002. I couldn't find any thread in the forum regarding this and I was wondering what others have done and how they have kept the license plate mounting, etc. What do the wise and knowledgable folks of the forum say? :)

2. mankaw

mankaw New Member

Map
    If you look at the rear fender, you will see it is actually a two-piece unit, a plastic fender on a metal bracket. You can take off the seat, take loose the tail fairing so you can move it about, and remove the fender unit. Then take the metal bracket off the fender and put it back on the bike. You will have to unplug the license plate light, but it is easy to get to. The license plate and light will bolt back up to the bracket. No cost!. The problem is without the plastic fender, water/mud will throw up on the brake light and the rear of the seat. I did this for a while, then went back stock.

3. jp55

jp55 New Member

Thanks for your thoughts Mankaw. Now I'm perplexed. :) I hate the stock look, but your comments about the water/mud coming up is a valid one. Especially since I'm in Oregon where it is nice and wet. Maybe the ultimate solution is to remove the stock fender and go with a Hugger. Spendy but looks wonderful. IMO.

Thanks again!
    John

4. V4_Sport

V4_Sport New Member

I simply got the Fender Eliminator kit and just put a plexiglas to cover up where the original fender use to be to prevent water/mud splashing up in the tail section....

5. vfr-xander

vfr-xander Guest

i don't think the rain/mud problem on the rear light is that bad. and a hugger isn't likely to help since huggers don't cover the back of the tire which is where stuff is flinging up from. i mounted my plate vertically on the metal bracket and it takes a little bit of the wet off the tail light. i've been debating about bringing the plate out a little farther maybe an inch or two to make it a little better at protecting the light. but then, again it only rains for one part of the year in san francisco

removing the fender is a snap, and i didn't have to loosen the rear plastic to get it off, just a little creative flexing around the undertail to get at all 6 bolts. at least i recall removing a lot of bolts, anyways.

i also run without the license light, haven't bee stopped yet for it.

peace.

6. fireman3758

fireman3758 New Member

Map
    I purchased a fender eliminator from Competition Werkes and it looks AWESOME ! Far better than the stock mudflap that is provided.

7. jameshicks

jameshicks New Member

Map
    Just an observation for future bags. You need the rear fender if you care to install factory hard bags. For it is a mounting location.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

If I recall correctly, the factory rack attaches to the metal license holder, not the fender itself, so as long as this part is preserved you should be fine.

9. Old_Codger

Old_Codger New Member

I read all of the options for fender removal included in this thread. We do get a bit of rain here in the Wilammette Valley so I didn't want to remove the fender completely. Instead I took a jigsaw and trimmed it a little shorter than the bottom of the liscense plate. It looks a lot cleaner, took about 10 minutes, and was free.

Old_Codger

10. bigkev

bigkev New Member

Map
    I simply unbolted the whole unit and made a bracket that mounts to the existing points. Looks good. the plate tucks neatly between the pipes and protects the light. Some of you oversea's won't be able to do this due to your larger plates but here in QLD Australia it works a treat.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

12. NYMBYSS

NYMBYSS New Member

United States
    i made my license plate bracket and hung it from the rear passenger pegs that hole i put i would show you but my cam is screwed up .