02 VFR  FIRE RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Guest, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My Brother & i along with a friend all own 02 vfrs.
    All three bikes suffered from flat batteries at the start,
    the dealer blamed the PDI guys for not charging them before we picked them up !.
    Eventually the campaign came out regarding the stator change and all three bike were updated.
    Then the paint started chipping on all the wheels
    Then the oil cooler lines started rusting!
    Then the valve covers started to loose their paint
    Then we noticed the headlamp lenses pitting

Our "NEW" bikes looked old .

We had very poor customer service from the dealer
    and factory rep,but we did eventually get them to agree
    and change the parts.

ps what a struggle, bad taste left behind.

Now all three bikes are out of warranty but show bad signs of melting wiring at the battery on the charging side.One bike has RAW MELTED WIRE that gets f-----g hot when the running for a short time.

We showed the dealer who called Honda who said
    "the unit is out of the warranty period"
    i said that there is a major fire & safety risk here you should contact all vfr owners.
    Maegan in customer service,who wouldn't give her last name, said that they would log the call but NOT contact
    other owners.

After the early problems with the charging system
    it all sounds a bit fishy !

I asked Maegan how many complaints does it take to start an investigation.

"I don't know" she said

"Who makes that determination" i said

"I don't know" she replied

"You have now information that could prevent fires, accidents or even personal injury, dont you guys even want to see these bikes and contact other vfr owners"

i waited for the reply.......

"THE UNIT IS OUT OF THE WARRANTY PERIOD"

Why do they call it "customer service" ?

:( ???

2. ZimZima

ZimZima New Member

Map
    Those customer service ppl are programmed to talk like parrots.... limited vocabulary. Can't believe after all that they don't give a $#it :-/

3. master_of_puppets

master_of_puppets New Member

4. pgeller

pgeller New Member

I would suggest you call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and relate your story. Honda are being negligent.

pg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  5. pgeller

pgeller New Member

This is why you need to tell NHTSA about the problem:

NHTSA Action Number: NHTSA Recall Campaign Number:
    PE05047 N/A
    Make: HONDA Model: VFR800
    Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
    Year : 2003
    Component :
    ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Date Investigation Opened : September 2, 2005
    Date Investigation Closed : December 20, 2005
    Summary:
    ODI OPENED THIS INVESTIGATION AFTER RECEIVING THREE COMPLAINTS CONCERNING ALLEGED ENGINE STALLING AND/OR SUDDEN HEADLIGHT OUTAGES WHILE UNDERWAY. ODI ALSO FOUND NUMEROUS POSTINGS ON A WEB-BASED CHAT BOARD RELATED TO THE SUBJECT VEHICLE AND THESE ALLEGATIONS. FREQUENTLY, THE POSTING REFERENCED THE "BLUE" CONNECTOR JOINING THE MAIN HARNESS AND THE HEADLIGHT SUB-HARNESS. ODI HAS INSPECTED SUBJECT MOTORCYCLES AND ITS PEERS AND MET WITH THEIR OWNERS, DISCUSSED THIS MATTER WITH SUBJECT MOTORCYCLE DEALERS AND INDEPENDENT SERVICE PERSONNEL, AND REVIEWED HONDA'S RESPONSE TO OUR INFORMATION REQUEST. BASED ON THE INFORMATION GATHERED TO DATE, THE EVIDENCE SUGGESTS THAT MOST FAILURES HAVE DEVELOPED SLOWLY OVER TIME WITH THE OPERATOR NOTING DIFFICULTY STARTING THE MOTORCYCLE, AND A SMELL OF MELTING INSULATION, (NO FIRES ARE REPORTED). IN THE MAJORITY OF REPORTS, THE PROBLEM IS NOTED WHILE STARTING THE MOTORCYCLE. MANY REPORTS STATE THE ENGINE STALLED WHEN THE STARTER BUTTON WAS INITIALLY RELEASED. FOR THE HEADLIGHT PROBLEM, MANY OF THE CIRCUIT OVERLOAD REPORTS WERE DUE TO THE INSTALLATION OF AFTERMARKET ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT. CURRENTLY, NO DEFECT TREND HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED WARRANTING FURTHER EXPENDITURE OF AGENCY RESOURCES AT THIS TIME. THE CLOSING OF THIS INVESTIGATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A FINDING BY THE AGENCY THAT NO SAFETY RELATED DEFECT EXISTS. ODI WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS ISSUE CLOSELY AND SHOULD CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE, ODI WILL TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION.

My 2003 VFR battery fuse/wire gets hot and I have no accessories that aren't connected directly to the battery. I suspect a lot of bikes have this problem. The idea that the primary wiring harness can fail and cause the bike to lose fuel injection and/or lighting seems like a safety issue to me!

pg