03 VFR occasionally quits

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by jameshicks, Feb 12, 2004.

1. jameshicks

jameshicks New Member

Map
    Greetings Moto Saipians, I'm the new member from Duluth Mn. I have VFR Fever. My question is for someone with the same problem and if it has been resolved. I have a 03 non-abs VFR that occasionally quits, hot or cold, Full or empty, The bike just begins to idle down and quit unless you catch it with some gas. I know I'm not alone. Another site suggested a pinched fuel vent, use tractor gas, set your idle higher and starter valves. The bike runs beautifully, starts great, has a little flat spot around 4500 rpm and get's 40 mpg on the highway. It has done this since new (9k on it) And I run premium fuel. Cycle World had a similar problem in Sept 03 issue "Fuel Infection" with a honda RC-51 and pointed to the MAP or TPS sensor. The dealer cannot replicate the problem and Honda has been notified. Give it your best shot.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a new 2003 as well and have had that happen 3 times in 3K miles. Love to know what the deal is???

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I bought the '03 in August and put around 3k on it by October. I didn't experience the stopping, but was never really impressed with the idle.

I also experienced the flat spots mentioned in this forum around 4-5kRPMs. I finally had a dealer check my synch for me and they found that my injector valves were way out. From the factory. They seemed amazed that Honda would ship a bike that far out of synch and called in to report the problem.

Since then I've only managed a few hundred miles. It's Idaho and it's very winter, but I do manage to get out now and then. The bike is much better at slower speeds and easy to ride now, but the problem seems to remain at highway speeds.

I guess I'm going back to the dealer. I have a 99 Viffer (also injected) and I've never had this problem, so I just chalked it up to the Vtech.

Good luck to all Vtech-ers out there, but I wanted to let you know that there's one more rider out there with Vtech concerns. Use that warranty.

Larry

4. vfr-xander

vfr-xander Guest

i'm wondering if there is something going on with the voltage regulator. i spent an afternoon drinking with a honda tech and he was saying that the 03's often have voltage regulators that crap out fairly often. this was before my bike quit on me by idling down and then dying, so i wonder if the electronics are suffering something like a brown out?

i've run my bike abou 5k miles and this problem has happened to me about 4 times. it really sucks, but i've been turning the ignition off and then restarting. not a very frequent problem, but still a pain.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, I had that problem as well. I got 03 VFR with pipes, K&N filter and PCIII. Last week it quit on my @90mph. I had to pull over on the left side of the freeway….
    I think it is a electrical problem. The whole bike shuts down and I have to turn the key on off then on position. It happen on the freeway before and it started from the motion of the bike (it’s bad for the motor). Then I had one of the wires that started to get hot and then smoke right by the main fuse under the seat. I’ll post pics as soon as I get my camera. I want to take it tom my Honda dealer since it’s still under warranty but I’m afraid that they will blame it on after market parts.
    Anyway I’m planning on riding to Honda and if enough voices are heard they will do something about it.

6. jameshicks

jameshicks New Member

Map
    I get my bike back from the dealer tomorrow and they said it possibly was a pin wasn't making the best contact for the ECU. The dealer ran the fuel injection codes(FI light blinks on the dash) and checked the ECU for some early model 03's used 02' ECU's but this wasn't the case.

7. Old_Codger

Old_Codger New Member

Hey I was just curious what the significance is of, "’" etc? I occasionaly see things like this in different members postings. Good luck on your crusade to get your bike sorted out. I also ride an 03' but so far no major problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both (all) of us. Two of us are leaving Western Oregon for Lolo Pass, Glacier Park, Calgary, Banff and Grand Coulee Dam in early July. Electrical problems would put a real damper on things.

Old_Codger

8. jameshicks

jameshicks New Member

Map
    I'm a little frustrated, It came back from the dealer and I can't stand that machine, I'll take my staintunes' off tonight and see if stock exhaust helps. The dealer and they cranked up the idle. I can honestly say I don't like hi-tech bikes. I've also noticed my VFR 750 would go 20 mph in 4th gear with out bucking. My 800 bucks and chugs and sounds like a slow firing machine gun. I've never had a charging/battery/starting problem with the bike. ??? Very un VFR like..

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Had a similiar problem, added a Power Commander and had it dyno tuned. Problem gone (and 102.3hp with Micron pipes on)!