'05 Reseting Gauge issue

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by SilverSurferRWB, Apr 16, 2008.

1. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    A little while ago I had an issue with the Odometer, clock and all gauges reseting on my bike. This (i thought) led up to the eventual failure of my stator, rectifier/regulator situation earlier this month. All the electrics were replaced including the battery but now the gauges are resetting again after being back on the road for only a week! :eek: This morning when i rolled the bike out of the garage for work and turned the key not one gauge lit up! I gave it a few seconds and turned it off and tried again and the same thing happened. After starting the engine (less that half a second on the start button with strong turnover) the gauges sprang to life as if i just turned the key.

Any ideas where to start? All battery terminals are tight and corrosion free with a brand new battery. All the issues started when the recall wiring was completed way before the major electrical failure of earlier this month. Looking for a avenue to research.

2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Disclaimer... I have zero experience with this system. But since your probably loosing your mind I may as well give ya anything I can.

Is you clock holding time? Do all the Meter panel indicators function as they should, signals, highbeam, oil, abs... If your clock is holding then at least we know the constant power connection is good. Which should be Fuse "A".

Once on, does it stay on or is it an intermittent thing like a loose wire?

You can check ALL the connectors that may be involved. But since your issue is manifesting in your meter panel... I would start by checking the Meter panel connection, the ECM connections, the ignition switch connection and so on. As per the wiring diagram there is a few places at which the meter panel gets pwr from. Fuse A and E primarily.. but it could be triggered "on" via the ECM.

If your issues started after the recall was done then it's safe to assume that they either left something loose, or blew something up.

You may also need to actually ring out all the wires that belong in that circuit to ensure there are no breaks. If the issue is intermittent then this may prove to be a real PITA. Do the easy stuff first.

Lets hope that the ECM has nothing to do with this. What "electrics" were replaced?

3. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    The clock and everything resets. The whole thing was blank this morning to light and the dash at all. It use to reset when i started the bike but now it does it after the bike sits for the night. It may be that i miss when it resets since I'm on the freeway commuting. I hope it's just a loose connection to the Meter panel. I'll look there first this weekend.

No other lights are effected. Nothing flashes or blinks on and off.

As for what was replaced; stator, regulator/rectifier, battery all took the big sleep. :sleep:

Off come the fairing again!:mad: :mad: :mad:

4. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Sorry brother, I hate electrical probs... According to the wiring diagram fuse A is the clock. However it's 10amps, thats a lot for a clock. I'm thinking it may be the main power feed as well. Check it along with the wire. It's the R/G wire. One end of the fuse goes to the meter panel the other end of the fuse looks like it goes straight to the main 30amp fuse near the battery.

5. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    It may be different now, but on my 97 the clock fuse also fuses the fan motor circuit. Just a thought.

6. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    The book shows a separate 20a fuse for the fan. But I also noticed that the "r" lead off the back side of fuse A also goes to the ignition switch... :wink:

Since your switch didn't turn your gauges on and since the clock isn't staying... thats two issues that belong to the same circuit.

Fingers crossed.

7. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    I'd check the (-)neg battery cable where it hooks to the frame of the bike. Unhook it and clean it with a wire brush. It sounds like a bad ground connection to me.

8. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    Seeing that it was just out of the dealer for replacing the entire charging system I would hope they would check the ground cable as a possible issue. That may be asking too much of them though. They ARE a Honda dealer! :rolleyes: I'm installing the new Double Bubble screen which has been sitting in a box for the last 2 weeks this weekend so I'll check the wires and harnesses when i have the fairing off for the 4th time in 2 weeks... Can you tell I hate taking the fairing off? :biggrin:

I must go for a ride this weekend. I'm tired of just commuting!

9. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    Just bumping the thread to see if i can get more answers! :yield:

:bump::bump2:

10. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    Have you checked grounds as EVT eluded to? I looked at a diagram yesterday afternoon and JasonSmith is correct as far as fuse layout is concerned. I was mistaken.

11. GeorgiaRider

GeorgiaRider New Member

12. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    The main ground would certainly be the smartest thing to check first.. +1 EVT. I would suspect that if it was the main ground there may be more than just the the meter panel issue.

I know, I know.. your waiting for that one cool, obvious, no need to pull your fairing answer... don't blame ya. :wink:

13. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
  14. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    OK I'm in the wiring harness today and I find THIS!! What is that clipped off green wire! SOmeone attached a butt connector to it to plug something in but it was just hanging out in the harness. The bike is apart right now so a quick answer would be great. I'm sure everyone's out riding so... :TOILET:

Attached Files:

15. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    On the mating blue connector, is there a corresponding wire that has been clipped?

If not, maybe follow the "non-clipped" wire to where it goes. Does it appear to be a ground? (I'd guess so by the color, but that can be a dangerous assumption).

I can't quite tell in the picture; are there two wires coming out of the "clipped" connector location? If so, the clipped and re-terminated wire may be intended to go directly to a chassis location.

I hope that makes sense...

16. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    The butt connector with the red insulator is the other end of the green wire that is clipped off in the block. There is only one wire clipped. When i looked on the other side of the connector there is no wire leading to anywhere else. I'm thinking it might be a common ground but with no wiring diagram I'm just guessing. The bare butt connector might be the issue so i covered it with an insulator to see if this makes any difference. If i could find a wiring diagram I'm sure it would help.

By the way, does anyone have a spare gauge cluster cover? I broke the stupid pinonthe back of mine taking everything apart... :kaboom::doh:

17. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    I up loaded the wiring diagram in my gallery. I don't know if it will blow up big enough to help. You used to be able to get the manual under the VFR wiki on this site. If you can't see what you need let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. I thought one of the old fixes was to by pass the green wire around the blue connector but its late and I've had a few beers so who knows.

Action

18. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I checked my shop manual, and green is ground on the schematics I looked through (there are many...). Does your bike have ABS? (different schematic). Also, since you did have the wire harness recall done, could that clipped wire / bullet connector be part of the Honda shop fix? Might be worth a call to them.

19. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    First off "speed" thanks for the download of the wiring diagram. I capped off the bullet connector and it appeared to solve the issue with the clock and odometer reseting. I was able to make it all the way to work and home with no issues with that gauge. The one thing I did notice is now the speedometer doesn't always read the speed anymore. :hangme: I also noticed the turn signal indicators also don't light up when i signal. the signals work but not the indicators on the dash. The light works for lighting up the gauges (went through a tunnel) but now the problem has migrated. I have an appointment with the mechanic on Friday morning. I have a feeling I'm going to get :ncb:

No ABS Lgn001. I had the recall preformed about 3-4 months ago. They were supposed to have used the Honda replacement harness from the factory. I'll have the new shop check for this as well. I hope the extended warrantee covers this as well...

20. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    IT'S FIXED!!! :DANCE7: It turns out that the shop that installed the recall wiring harness jammed the plugs together and bent a bunch of the connectors. the new shop took apart the plug and straightened out the connectors and all is well. I now have to work on getting my money back from the first shop for the jacked up job they did during the recall! It didn't cost me that much but its the principle of the matter; they owe me... If they don't then I'll post their name and the crappy job they did all over the internet! :TRUEEVIL: All i care now is it works and it's time to ride again! Thanks for eeryone's help and sugestions!