07 Vfr Engine Breakin Smell

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by gsdfriendly, Mar 7, 2008.

1. gsdfriendly

gsdfriendly New Member

hey Folks,

Just registared and took delivery on an 07 VFR800 last night.. My question is that I noticed while riding it home last night the engine seemed to give off a very stinky smell. I didnt lug the engine or go over 6000 RPM. I am going to try something new in breaking in this engine. I found moto mans suggestion on not babying it and vary the rpms with rapid accelleration and deceleration. He makes a good point on todays modern day engines. I'm wondering if anyone else noticed a nasty smell when the took their first ride. .thanks in advance.

2. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    2007 Owner here...well, I don't think I'd call it a nasty smell but I did have (and still have a bit of smell at ~400 miles) a "toasty" smell that I feel is normal for any car or bike when new. Have it checked out if you feel it is not right. I notice it because I park in my garage and the enclosed space makes it noticeable.
    Sure is nice to have a new machine, isn't it?

3. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Oh, forgot to say: Congrats and welcome to the Forum. Where are you from? What history with bikes do you have? Join in and have some fun here...lots of answers...
    BE CAREFUL!

4. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    The smell is normal, it will diminish with time. Welcome!

5. k9style00

k9style00 New Member

Map
    Should be normal. I had the same thing with my 06 and went away after about 500 - 1000 miles. Could either be all the new stuff breaking in or the spray on polish (Honda Brite/shine, whatever) burning off. You'll love it. Get a K&N filter at some point. I just installed one and definately notice a difference in low end performance.

6. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    The smell is from the cosmolene and other coatings that are used for protecting the bike during shipping and sitting around in the crate burning off. Perfectly normal.

7. gsdfriendly

gsdfriendly New Member

thanks for the reassurance guys. I only rode it about 1 mile home last night. I Let the bike come up to temp and then proceded to ride home. I noticed it at a red light. Definitely smelled. This bike is very surprising. I barely turned the throttle and the bike wanted to get up and go. This is my third bike. I owned a honda shadow spirit and a suzuki sv1000. This bike does not resemble either of those riding experiences.

8. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    what color did ya get? and congrats on the new ride. Your gonna love burning off that smell :biggrin:

9. gsdfriendly

gsdfriendly New Member

thanks for the welcome guys. I got the red. I had a chance at the red white and blue throwback, but I didnt get it. I guess I just cant appreciate the red white and blue. I have only been riding for a few years. I like the red because it will help with visibility. So far I love this machine. Great lines and all the reviews say it handles awesome..... Tell you the truth when I rode it home I was surprised by the power this thing has. I barely turned the accel and it wanted to get up and go. I cant imagine opening this thing up!!!! Great job Honda!!!!

10. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    It is fascinating how many different responses we all hear...this bike is SLOW...this bike is FAST. It all depends what you are used to. I think it is pretty darn fast...and perfect! And you are right...that RED is lovely!

But "where is you at?" What state are you living in?

11. EVvy

EVvy New Member

Welcome. Sounds like you will definately enjoy that new bike. I, too have an 07 and I sure like it. About that "new bike smell", enjoy it as it goes away all to soon!!

12. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

that my friend, is the smell of victory!!!!!!!!!!

13. elf800

elf800 Banned

read your book on break-in the engineer who built the bike knows what hes talking about by the way that red is awesome i almost got it but the rwb brings back to many good memories when most of my hiskool friends had motorcycles in the neighbor hood 2 ninja rwb 1 yellow custom, mine red gray vfr 700 white gsxr 750 white blue fzr1000 rwb u thought it was a roadcourse around here. welcome to the club and vfr world rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    I love the smell of a VFR breaking in in the morning.

15. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the club/gang/forum/assemblage, and congrats on the new VFR! My '07 doesn't smell new anymore, which makes me both sad and happy...

16. IrrerD

IrrerD New Member

JEV has it right:
    I just put a new '07 RWB together for a customer earlier this week. We normally spray new bikes down with a solution of Simple Green and water (other mild detergents work also), then rinse, to get rid of that coating, but without taking the fairings off, you can only get so much off. But don't worry, it'll burn itself off soon enough as you're enjoying your new ride. Congrats!

17. mirkhanus

mirkhanus New Member

Hah!

Thanks for enlightening IrrerD. Kinda wondered what that stinky smell was. I was afraid I might've burnt my wire harness or something...

Anyway, the smells gone by the first oil change & wash...

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  18. Mac

Mac New Member

My new '06 has a burnt wiring harness smell form time to time. It has often made me wonder. I still smell it at close to 5K miles?
    A trusted Honda mechanic says it's just the new. If so, this machine may run a very long time.

Mac

19. olivino

olivino New Member

I have the same bike. That smell lasted on my 07 for a couple of months. The bike was right out of the crate when I bought it. I also bought a new Ducati several years ago (traded it in for the VFR) which had no 'new' smell, likely because it was sitting in the showroom for a while. You'll love the VFR, the more I ride it the more I enjoy it!

20. cthenomad

cthenomad New Member

Whenever my pipes get a bit wet they smell. I stopped worrying about it. That is what the warranty is for.

Does anyone have any suggestions with LED signal lights? How do you get at them?

C