12 Volt accessory plug and new gel battery

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by 91 vfr, Jul 6, 2012.

1. 91 vfr

91 vfr New Member

So I just hooked up an acessory plug on the bike for the GPS and found out that my 2 year old cheap walmart battery is on its way out the door. I am going to get a Gel Cell battery and was wondering who here has got a Gel cell for a 3rd gen and what ones people recommend. Price is not really an issue, but dont want to spend more than $150. I found a couple from bike master and TMS and both have mixed reviews.

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I go with the Yuasa battery since I have owned the bike. Its maintenance free, not gel. YTX12BS, when me used to use a radar detector me went directly to the battery posts. You could also tap into the fuse panel where the clock fuse is: assuming that you dont have the clock option on ur scooter. Me likes the direct connection to the battery posts as me was receiving lazer falses and it was tough enough riding around with an ear-phone in my helmet and looking out for pigs without getting falses :evil: No i dont use a radar sniffer anymore..

3. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    One, a switched accessory fuse panel is a good thing. It prevents battery death in the middle of nowhere. So is a voltage meter.

Two, I buy my battery at Auto Zone, the maintenance free model, also.

Larry