12volt accessories to add a USB port for phones and Ipads

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Bubba Utah, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I may have not seen it but is there a thread about the best product and name with a USB port to charge phones and Ipads for long rides? Any help is appreciated. I have seen a couple online and Honda offers an expensive cigarette base, But I am looking for something simple to connect to the battery and offer me many option of gear, charger, accessories etc.

Thanks.

2. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

I used battery tender leads with an adapter like this on my last long trip:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/battery-tender-usb-charger
    https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...ell&keywords=mototcycyle+battery+tender+leads

My advice...don't. I had to replace the leads once on Vancouver Island because the first adapter broke.
    When the second adapter broke and ruined the new leads, I had enough. I suspect heat made the prongs expand and break.

I also had many battery problems while using those leads and adapter. Phone stopped charging and I had a situation outside of Edmonton, Alberta where moto wouldn't start and battery voltage was reading 3.88.

A fellow member, I can't remember who, linked some reviews about the above items to my trip thread, which many were not okay reviews: http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/50894-Kansas-to-Prince-Rupert-BC-Canada-or-Bust!

Somewhere in the thread you can find it, but in short, many negative reviews about problems with them.

So when I got back to the states, I picked this up and mounted it on my HeliBars:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/67230/i/bikemaster-dual-usb-port--plug-charger

I'm sure others here have amazing systems they've rigged up and hopefully they share.

For me, without hardwiring anything, this was the best solution for me. No problems with charging accessories or battery drain since. Granted, the electrical demons I experienced are really still a mystery. But for now, so far, so good.

Good luck! BTW...I live for long rides...are you planning one? If so, where?

3. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I looking to ride with anyone. I appreciate your help. Long rides this year are probably a no go since I have used up all of my vacation prior to buying the bike. But Next year I am looking to getting into a few long rides after being really only a solo local rider in Utah with the Sv100s for 8yrs. I sold it 2 years ago and really only have been part of this kind of community and had some great rides when I had my 95 Kawasaki 1200 Gpz. I loved those days 10yrs ago. I look forward to riding with and getting advise if needed from everyone. The bike goes in tomorrow for the 600 mile break in and I have many questions about this bike. Thanks for your help. have a great night. Mike D.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I have had very good luck with Powerlet products. Powerlet Link Although I think they discontinued the product, they did have one that went into the center of the steering stem like the one in the photo here, you might get lucky and find one on eBay, CL or classified ads.

[​IMG]

however they still have quite a few frame mount and panel mount options like this one

[​IMG]

Personally I would invest in a power control block, something that allows you to control and/or monitor how your power is distributed. Some can be old school which are configured with jumpers (fuses), others are programmable and you can change the loads you have on each leg and whether they are switched or always live. One reason is that each circuit you use has a fuse inline with the power and they are compact enough to fit under the seat and makes for easy power distribution and changes.

I am using the PDM60 by Rowe Electronics on my 5 Gen as I wanted some power options that may change over time as well as have some time delayed on/off for some circuits. PDM60 Link
    On mine I have a momentary switch that I can press and it will power a relay and allow the battery leads that feed a volt meter to become active while the contact is closed. This way I can have the ability to check the battery without having my key in the ignition or any parasitic drain from the volt meter. This same circuit also switches on when the ignition is on, so now I have a constant monitor of voltage from my meter.

Then there's this gonzo unit by Arboreal Systems, the Neutrino Arboreal Systems Link which you can control the circuits via a phone app.

However, there are the old school version which cost a bit less and are almost as configurable. Based on where you place the fuse and the size of the fuse, you can setup the power block for switched or always live power.
    Like with this FuzeBlocks FZ1 unit Fuzeblocks Link BTW, some good How-to and tips & tricks on this web site.

[​IMG]

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I went with a similar solution to ootv

IMG_2014.jpg

The waterproof cover houses a twin USB outlet. Any USB outlet on a 12 volt supply will contain some sort of circuitry(witchcraft) to transform the voltage to 5vDC, so it is not a good idea to connect one direct to the battery as it will always create a drain on your battery 24/7 even if nothing is actually plugged in to the outlet.

In my case I already had a ignition controlled relay on my VFR to feed heated grips, GPS etc through an auxiliary fuse box, so I simply connected the USB to a spare ignition controlled fuse, but I also installed a waterproof switch beside the outlet to completely isolate the feed to the outlet when it is not in use.

[postscript - I chose to mount the USB on the outer fairing for ease of use - but this means I had to install a quick disconnect multi-plug connector on the cables feeding the USB. This ensures that those cables can be quickly and easily disconnected whenever it is necessary to remove the fairing for servicing etc.]

On long range camping trips (so away from mains power) whilst riding I connect the higher output USB feed to my RavPower bank which lives inside the tank bag so it can store power whilst the engine is running but is automatically turned off when the engine is shut down. Overnight the power stored in the power bank is ample (16750mAh) to quickly and fully recharge the batteries in my notepad, iPhone and Bluetooth helmet ready for use next day.

SkiMad

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  6. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I bought what you suggested. I had some other feedback as well, but for the price and if I remember to disconnect from the battery while not on a long ride I think that I will be fine. Thanks anna marie.