17t sprocket is so much better than 16t.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by EX-Wife'sChew-Toy, Jun 1, 2018.

1. EX-Wife'sChew-Toy

EX-Wife'sChew-Toy New Member

United States
    Map
    I love the VFR.....but it had some things about it that I didn't like. The gears are too short. It bucks at low speeds without precise throttle control, and engine braking is a bit extreme. Also, the speedo is off by at least 10%. I opted to change my front sprocket to a 17t. I put on a new 110 link x-ring chain and rear 43t sprocket.

I was able to hook back up the flapper which gave me back the low and mid grunt I was missing.

It brought the speedo close enough to actual speed.

It makes the gears long enough to cut down shifting in town in half. I am able to stay in lower gears instead of shifting to a higher one. Less shifts up also means less shifts down when coming to a light.....also nice.

got rid of a noticeable amount of bucking.

engine braking is not annoying anymore.

did not notice the loss in acceleration at all. In fact this thing still hauls ass at will.

I realize that this is going to irritate some, much like oil and air filter talk, but I just wanted to share my experience.

thanks

Joel

Bike is totally fixed and love the 82lb clutch springs.....

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know that it will irritate anyone, everyone has their own riding style after all. But my
    experience with my '99 is that the 17/43 gearing was too tall for my type of riding. I felt that
    I had to slip the clutch excessively when pulling away from an uphill stop while riding 2 up.
    And I didn't feel that I needed the ability to do 50+ mph in 1st gear.

I changed to 17/45 gearing and love it. For me it just feels like it's now geared for the real world
    and not all highway riding. Acceleration in the lower gears is excellent and gas mileage has not
    suffered.

It's just how you feel about things, and how you ride.

EX-Wife'sChew-Toy likes this.