1985 vf1000r

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Traviso119, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Traviso119

Traviso119 New Member

United States
    I recently acquired this baby in a barn find. I am so stoked to bring her back to life! I already have an 84 1000F interceptor and have a basic knowledge on these v4's. I am however having a very difficult time finding simple replacement parts especially for my 1000R restoration. Does anyone have some good websites to share for common parts like seals, gaskets, bolts, maybe some oem replacement on main components? Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Here are some pics guys, the previous owner had the frame and swing arm powder coated and all the body pieces sandblasted. I had to find a tank from Canada because the other one was rusted beyond repair. it took the guy apparently 3 years and 400$ to find a set of carbs for it. also I was told that the transmission had been repaired for second gear(ive read these bikes have had second gear shift fork problems). She has sat for 25 years and im excited to build her up!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    eBay and parts bikes will be about it for anything not available from Honda.
    Visit David Silver Spares for a good list of available small parts and consumables.

And no real help until you post some pics. :)

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Go to Harbor Freight and get yourself bench buffer/wire brush. Old bold & nuts will look like new, cleans up a lot of parts. I have used VHT flat black & gloss clear to make painted parts look like OEM. use their primer first, then it needs to baked @ 200 degrees for an hour to harden and cure. Available at AutoZone for about $7 per can. Don't use normal rattle can paint.

Partzilla for all rubber parts and gaskets, I have replaced most on my '83 750. Clutch & brake master cylinders too.

4. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    Try Archway international Motorcycle Salvage in St. Louis. I would call them, most likely the will not have new gaskets and such but it doesn't hurt to ask.

http://archwayintl.com/e-store/index.php

5. Traviso119

Traviso119 New Member

United States
    thanks! i put some pics up, can you recommend a good exhaust system that is still available?

6. Traviso119

Traviso119 New Member

United States
    Exhaust

Can anyone recommend a good exhaust system that is still available? all ive seen is the x-pipe on ebay. and has anyone tried that system? any reply appreciated