1985 VF700F Tachometer Needle Hanging Up

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Trpst9999, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Trpst9999

Trpst9999 New Member

United States
    I have a small annoying issue where my Tachometer needle will get stuck around 2500 RPM when coming to a stop. This really only happens when the needle drops slowly, if I pull in the clutch while riding it will drop to idle, but when gradually slowing down it usually gets stuck. If I tap on the clear plastic, it will drop to the actual reading. I've tried cleaning the internals with a keyboard duster which had no effect. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I have 2 VF1000 that the tach will not return to zero. I have taken one apart to investigate and couldn't find anything responsible. It did not appear dirty. I manipulated the needle a few times and it returned to zero on its own. I applied some graphite oil, cycled it manually a few times and thought I got it. But after running a little while, it wouldn't return again. Decided I didn't care enough to open it back up again. If have one close to apart again, I may investigate further.

This is with the key off.

[​IMG]

Don't know if it means anything that both bikes hang up pretty much right at idle speed, but it seems suspicious.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  3. Trpst9999

Trpst9999 New Member

United States
    Gotcha, If you tap on it will it drop to zero? I might try the graphite oil, but the next time I take that dash apart will be the last time. Where exactly did you apply the oil?

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I don't think mine will return with a tap. It was a few years ago, don't remember exactly where I lubed, but I didn't want to go crazy with it. I think where the shaft is held by a bushing.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Don't know if this helpful or not, but when replacing the faceplates the instructions are to lift the needle back over the top of the stop pin, before removing the needle. When reassembling, install with the needle on the back side of the stop pin, then carefully lift it back over the stop pin. This is supposed to keep it zero'd. Not sure how applicable this would be to this situation, or if it would even fix it. Just food for thought.

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I didn't remove the needle (or the face plate) when I was investigating. Just trying to examine the movement from the back.

The good news for me is that it appears my tach shows more rpm vs where I really am, so if I am ever looking at my tach (which I rarely do on a 1000cc V4), I am reacting conservatively. I think my "idle" shows about 2000 rpm.